Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "HELMETS"......Survival Helmets.....What works....?

Okay, okay. You just left out a couple of things.

1. I ain't going to NYC. Not gonna happen. If they want to move Times Square to Indy, fine. Otherwise, Bloomberg will just have to suffer without me.

2. Running for my life. I've lived a pretty good, pretty long life. I really don't see a need to run anywhere for it. My plan for looting houses is to dress like a Jehovah's Witness and slowly walk from door to door taking "donations".

3. Crashing into trees and limbs, falling off mountains, tumbling down a class 4 white water river. One would have to assume that would require some level of exertion so I'll just have to pass. Although, it being all downhill, I could be talked into it.

4. Riding in the back of a open pick-up truck trying to get out of NYC. Please see #2. (For 2D, name 'em, salute 'em, but don't talk to 'em).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    In that case a survival helmet wouldn't make the top of my list but this would: http://www.cornershot.com/
    Maybe it's just me...a girl newbie at that!

I want a bullet resistant Night Vision helmet........

[QUOTE=Sourdough;187374]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I certainly don't foresee needing one in a bug out situation because of other folks. QUOTE]

Might be handy if your going to chase punks around the neighborhood, or if someone mistakes you for a zombie, and ball bats your head.......
    Well why didn't you say so in the first place?
    In that case I'm going with my all time fave:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=FMG9&...ient=firefox-a
    You keep your helmet, I'll hang on to this.

I'll go with a Brewster then....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll go with a Brewster then....

You'd be safer with a brewsky.

Hey! For all you know I have both!!!!

Hey! For all you know I have both!!!!
    Well then you ARE prepared.
    What else would anyone want?
    (maybe a tray of charcuterie?)

Default Space saving idea...

I guess it doesn't hurt to have it in a BOV. (me, I'm walkin')
    When I travel, I do pack breakables in the helmet but it's still takes a lot of room and in a bug out scenario I can't imagine how it would be a must have, over say a tent or a sleeping bag (which I don't have, btw)
    If you have a helmet to protect your head then wear it. I live in a large city and when you look at all the things that can fall from great height a helmet makes sense. Also it keeps the weather off your head.
    -Sam

Just be careful what the writing on your helmet says. Up Yours! is probably not the message you want to convey

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just be careful what the writing on your helmet says. Up Yours! is probably not the message you want to convey

Well, at least not in San Francisco, CA. or NYC

I keep thinking of something one of my co-workers daughters said to us about her father... He is a nice guy and a very hard worker but thinking isnt really his thing. She saw him in his hard hat one time and told us that he didnt need one of those. When one of the guys asked her why she replied "because if you want to hurt dad, you need to hit him someplace other than the head!"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looking like a trip to REI next week, to try on the Grivel "Salamander" rock climbing helmet. It seems most modern helmets do not cover the ears, this one does and is well rated. I am still hoping for a Boots in the field knowledgeable member to help my serious quest.

Other than hard hats, sports related helmets, and military brain buckets I don't have alot to offer. I did wear an urban search and rescue (USAR Jacksonville Fire Department). Very protective, a bit on the heavier side.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Looking like a trip to REI next week, to try on the Grivel "Salamander" rock climbing helmet. It seems most modern helmets do not cover the ears, this one does and is well rated. I am still hoping for a Boots in the field knowledgeable member to help my serious quest.

Here's mine and it does cover the ears. It's light and comfortable, don't even feel it on.
    http://www.rei.com/produ/759203?pref...:referralID=NA

Here's mine and it does cover the ears. It's light and comfortable, don't even feel it on.
    (Snicker, Snicker)(Yes...It's backwards!)
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 05-16-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. You would never see an "escalator temporarily out of order" sign, just "Escalator temporarily stairs... sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Mitch Hedberg

Holy cow! MM that is some Avatar photo...dang...

anyway here are my two favorite helmets. The first is a ultra-light weight extreme kayaking helmet and the second is a kevlar whitewater helmet. Both are for multiple impacts, have waterproof foam that doesn't lose any of its impact rating do to soaked compressed foam. And have DOT ratings for high speed imacts...so these light helmets can be used atv'ing, sky-diving, mtn biking, climbing or kayaking etc...

Last edited by DOGMAN; 03-29-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

As to the question "Do I need a helmet for my BOB"....I'd say it depends on your Bug-out style, area and situation. Since my BOV's are a snowmobile, and a 4 wheeler- yeah I need a helmet.

I was told a long time ago..."If you have a $20 head- wear a $20 helmet....but if you want to protect your most valuable asset then buy the best helmet available".....something I tell my kayaking students at the local university..."A $100 helmet is a cheap insurance policy for the $100,000 college investment your making"
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    As to the question "Do I need a helmet for my BOB"....I'd say it depends on your Bug-out style, area and situation. Since my BOV's are a snowmobile, and a 4 wheeler- yeah I need a helmet.

I was told a long time ago..."If you have a $20 head- wear a $20 helmet....but if you want to protect your most valuable asset then buy the best helmet available".....something I tell my kayaking students at the local university..."A $100 helmet is a cheap insurance policy for the $100,000 college investment your making"
    So.............Given that line of thunking, I better find my Athletic Cup.

What about a hockey helmet, all colors, light, well ventilated, can put a "tuque" under or other linner. Even a grill or face shield.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket