Thread: Collecting Pine Sap

Default Collecting Pine Sap

I tried collecting some pine sap by using a method of scoring the trunk of a tree and collecting the sap in a container as it bleeds from the tree. It didn't seem to work. Is it the time of year? Maybe i did not cut deep enough? Anyone had any success with this?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Erunk.... can probably help you with it. He has a thread on it someplace.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes it was Erunk's post I learned the idea from. In it he states Spring is the best time. I know I am little late being it is summer. Maybe that is the reason? Surely there is a way to do it in summer? Erunk.... Any Ideas????
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I tried collecting some pine sap by using a method of scoring the trunk of a tree and collecting the sap in a container as it bleeds from the tree. It didn't seem to work. Is it the time of year? Maybe i did not cut deep enough? Anyone had any success with this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxJC3xWLQKE

watch this video cowboy, i have spent years gatherin' pine tar. this is how to do it...

score below the bark; cut into the sap wood (just below the bark). sap flows even in winter.the white pine is a heavy producer. species like frazier fir, blue spruce and red pine heal quickly resulting in less yeild.yellow or white pine pours....I hope this helps....
    Wild potato clan
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 07-01-2009 at 09:16 AM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Thanks Erunk! I think it may have been a combination of things that may be wrong. For one I scored the tree higher from the ground. Second I used a heavy knife instead of an axe. Maybe the axe tramatizes the tree a bit more. Thanks, I'll try again.