Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somethings only happen in South Florida.

Default Somethings only happen in South Florida.

South Florida is the only place on the planet where crocodiles and alligators occur naturally. While crocodiles were critically endangered at one time. They are quickly being restored to their natural range. The mayor of one of the keys asked that all crocs be removed from his key after a croc jumped out of the water and ate a Labrador off of a doc 3' above the water. Crocs think dogs taste like coyotes without the gamey taste.

Anyway, here is a video of a croc walking in a neighborhood:

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...rhood-trapped/

And the story about the mayor wanting crocs removed from Islamarada.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/152028865.html

The story about the dog that is referenced in the above story.

http://keysnews.com/node/38726

It should be noted that these crocs are not aggressive towards people. But, they are more than capable of taking large mammals and do so in the rest of their natural range. A little respect of that ability goes a long way in preventing tragedy.

I had a neighbor that had a pot bellied pig that he had trained to go into the canal to do it's business. I said that we have always had big gators in that canal and that they had come out of the water and taken a huge dog off of it's chain in the yard next door. All this gut was doing was teaching a pig to wave bacon in front of alligators. He didn't listen and the pig went a missin!

I was just telling a story about when we were kids in my mom's neighborhood. We would hang our heads down from the bridge that was about three feet above the water and look for this 12' alligator which liked to stay in the culvert pipe that ran under the bridge. If we didn't see the gator one or two of us would volunteer to walk through the culvert pipe to make sure the gator was not there. If he wasn't there or visible we could "safely" swim in the water.

We also had a floating raft anchored in the middle of the canal that the gator would sun itself on. Throwing rocks at the gator until it got off of the deck and into the water. Then you would swim all out to the deck and scramble on.

How we survived I have no idea. LOL

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    It should be noted that these crocs are not aggressive towards people. But, they are more than capable of taking large mammals and do so in the rest of their natural range. A little respect of that ability goes a long way in preventing tragedy.
    I take it you mean that crocs don't consider humans a general food item? Because any animal, from insects to brids to mammals, will act agressively towards people given the "right" circumstances.

Cool stuff!
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    . Crocs think dogs taste like coyotes without the gamey taste.
    LOL!!!....Now thats funny!!!!!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

A better way of saying it is that in Florida crocodiles are wary of people and alligators are indifferent MOST of the time. Every animal is different and individual. I understand alligators and know my limitations around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch
    I understand alligators and know my limitations around them.
    So do I, brother. So do I. That's why I live in Indiana. That's also why I won't live in the south. Well, that and fire ants, killer bees, monster boa pythons, Gambian rats, Coral snakes, sharks, jelly fish, barracuda, Nile monitor lizards...hey, I'm just gettin' warmed up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think that Batch is going to give Ted a run for his money as WSF's official poet.

He didn't listen and the pig went a missin!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick, I hate too be the one to tell you, but I think Ind has fire ants. In the eighties I was township trustee in Floyd Co. One of my jobs was to see that old cemetery's were cut. One had several very hugh ant hills in them. They were some four to five feet across and 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall. The ants were very large and red. I had talked to the extension agent back then but don't remember what he called them other then he suggested leaving them alone.

Bill

So, like do they make a croc spray?.....You know for tourists?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not sure if crocs are able to use spray cans!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nope. None here yet. We're holdin' 'em at the river. They tried usin' the ferry but they didn't have the correct change.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ... That's also why I won't live in the south. Well, that and fire ants, killer bees, monster boa pythons, Gambian rats, Coral snakes, sharks, jelly fish, barracuda, Nile monitor lizards...hey, I'm just gettin' warmed up.
    Ditto on that

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, like do they make a croc spray?.....You know for tourists?
    Well................

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well................

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Well let me be dipped in horse pucky....what they won't think of next.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't let him fool you. That's just tourist marinade.

Hunter, thats stuff is for them little fly'n croc's. You need them pistol repeilents in 357, 44, 38 22 and so on for them bigger ones...
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don't let him fool you. That's just tourist marinade.
    Nah. We call that Coppertone.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    The ants were very large and red.
    Bill
    Fire ants are small. Also their numbers have dropped in Florida. I have had many bad experiences with them as a child. But, once you learn to watch where you step they ain't to bad. Our largest ants are carpenter ants and they don't have stingers. They just bite and spray formic acid. Fire ants swarm you and then all bite and sting at sting you with a stinger and spray formic acid into the bite at the same time.

While not an really an ant, the velvet ant or cow killer is a bad b......! Well its really a wasp not a bee... You mess with them and they will light you up with pain.

We do have those up here although they are not all that common. I've seen maybe a dozen in my life time.

Batch, thanks for the info. My memory is really going down hill lately. I just remembered that the hills were so big and there were so many ants I took his advice and left them alone, but now I'm getting curious and am going to go back over there and check on them. The area was turned into an upscale subdivision a few years after I left office.

Bill

Batch beat me too it. Fire ants are small little devils. After moving from Texas to Utah, it took a while for my kids to walk in the grass barefooted.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee