Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be worth going on?

Question Would it be worth going on?

Let's say that the poop hit the fan and it's only you and your loved ones around for you to take care of. You have enough supplies for everyone to last for however long the situation could last. But something happens, a tragic accident or a illness that leaves only you left. Would it be worth it going on and surviving with your ample supplies without your loved ones or not? It's very hard for me to decide right now, but I'm leaning towards not. Sometimes life is worth only living for someone else. What about you?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Although it is a sad and depressing time, I have gone through something almost like you are talking about. For all intents and purposes my Family and loved ones were at one point NOT a part of my life. Although there were other people around it was still one foot in front of the other. I just kept on keeping on. Hoping that one day things would be better. They were eventually.

yes unless im the last human left. i have such a big family and some are in AK and some in MN and a few in a couple other places. it would have to be a pretty big disaster for there to be no one. my cousins from my moms side alone ad up to 15 my family is also very close and keep in contact.
    Come share my fire.

Blog Entries

That's one really tough question that I don't think anyone can truly answer unless they're faced with such a reality.

Here's a true story:

There was a dentist with a very successful practice in my community. He was happily married with 4 children. All boys, I believe, but I'm not certain.

It seems that his wife caried a gene for a very rare form of cancer. Over a period of about 15 years, his wife and all 4 children died slowly of this form of cancer. The dentist re-married and sold his practice and retired early shortly after his last living son was diagnosed with this form of cancer. This son loved sailing and swimming and fishing and pretty much everything to do with the water in general. So, the dentist built a home with a large bay window right on the water about a half mile from mine. His son spent many of his final days gazing out of that window with a big smile on his face.

I run into this dentist every couple of years. He always has a smile and some kind words for others.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I guess the question (to me) is this, "What makes life worth living?". Personally, I would hope that I would carry on if my family were not in the picture. I just finished reading The Road, which is now a movie with Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), and he faces a similar issue. If he, the father, the caretaker, were no longer able to provide for his son, would he be willing to kill the boy before his own demise? In the end, I feel he makes the right decision.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

RX - This is a question that I and many of my Shipmates pondered on occasion. While we were on Strategic Deterrent Patrol if we ever had to launch our missiles it meant a couple of things. First, we had failed in our mission. Second, there would probably not be very much to return home to. We thought about it from time to time. There are no easy answers to these type of questions.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dang right I'd keep on keeping on. What if I ran into...say...thirty woman that also happened to survive. Now, I'm the only man left in the world. I'd want to see if what all those women have said over the years is really true.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Dang right I'd keep on keeping on. What if I ran into...say...thirty woman that also happened to survive. Now, I'm the only man left in the world. I'd want to see if what all those women have said over the years is really true.
    That would be an absolute worst case scenario. Just think.......... Who would want the entire human race populated with THOSE genes?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I don't wear jeans. Dockers, usually.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I don't wear jeans. Dockers, usually.
    Note that they can be ordered in super-extra-large sizes........

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Men/Jeans/index.cat
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

ive lost a good deal of my family.
    all of my immediate family.

these things can be very, very hard. almost anybody would wonder "whats the point?" from time to time.

one thing ive learned-theres always other people to meet. they may not be my biological brothers and sisters but they are brothers and sisters just the same.

you just never know. bad things can happen very fast. so can good things.

you turn a corner and theres your new best friend for life or the best lover youve ever had- or both.

you just never know what will happen.

my two cents.

Oddly enough, I had the same thought. Except I was think more like 5 or 6. No reason to be greedy.

As far as the original question: I'd have to live on. Wouldn't have the B^77s to do anything else. Besides if its a co-dependency type issue, there are always others that will require help.

"Sometimes life is worth only living for someone else. What about you?"

I have some very strong opions on this (shocking eh?). Making a decision to "check out" when you are otherwise healthy just because you are now alone is ridiculous. What does it prove, other than you are not a resilient person? You may just possibly have something very valuable to contribute by hanging in there. My say is never give up,and if you are going to "check out" go down swinging and make the bast**ds who take you down pay for it.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Mmmm,, I think I will stay out, or I will find my post sent to the purgatory of that "other thread"
    Last edited by Pal334; 11-29-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

Well, my point was, all those women have said, "Not if you were the last man on earth."

I'd like to see if they were really tellin' the truth.

Blog Entries

Well, my point was, all those women have said, "Not if you were the last man on earth."

I'd like to see if they were really tellin' the truth.
    Oh, I'm sure they were.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Ranger, remember there is always a reason to go on. When times got tough, I always remembered this song "You will never walk alone" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1x0k3JCvYA

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Plod along like I always have. I'm too dumb to quit.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Plod along like I always have. I'm too dumb to quit.
    NO!!!! Say it isn't true!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Life is full of challenges with good and bad days, just keep going until you drop dead yourself.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.