Thread: SAR Dangers.

Blog Entries

Question SAR Dangers.

Did anyone see that Chopper crash on the news regarding the rescue of the mountain climbers on Mt. Hood who'd fallen into a Crevasse? I think we might want to look at what these folks go through to save lives, it ain't always pretty!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

worst case scenario there sarge when the rescuers need rescuing

havent seen it ,looked on yahoo but didnt see any mention of it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    havent seen it ,looked on yahoo but didnt see any mention of it.
    National Geographic channel carried the story on one of there programs. Try this link: http://www.google.com/search?q=Mt.+H...ient=firefox-a
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I saw the whole thing as it happened, when it happened on live TV.

i think that some of these people who go out knowing the extreme dangers they face are arrogant and dangerous and should be billed for any expense of rescuers, including hospital stays and even loss of life. everyone who wants to go hiking mt. hood in december should have to get a license, only obtainable after extensive training and testing. as it is, for any death they cause, they should have to pay what that person would have made in a lifetime, to the persons heirs. at minimum, the person or persons should have to buy a life insurance policy which would pay the family members of the deceased rescue workers.

ouch that is harsh man,that would be like saying everyone everywhere who stepped into the woods,or climbed a mountain or rode a horse or atv,anything that isnt considered "safe" should have to buy insurance to cover loss of life,or shell out the equivelent of a lifes wages to the family of rescue personell,generally these guys are already covered under a policy already.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I’m sure the people that climb mt. hood are very experienced but sh*t happens and you cant always prepare for everything. I’m with nell

Blog Entries

Cool Uh-huh.

People make mistakes, and people do stupid things. Here's a direct quote from the late Dr. Albert Einstien: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Hmmmm
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

ppl who do sar for a living or as a volunteer understand the risks of their chossen profession. my wife is a terrible cook she even set the house on fire once, does that mean if a firefighter dies fighting that blaze she should be responsible. contrary to what our lawsuit happy society believes accidents do happen that's life

Blog Entries

Cool $$$$$$

It's my understanding that in some mountainous areas if you get rescued you do have to pay for it as there is some expense involved; chopper fuel, pilot fees slice of pizza, etc.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

i have heard of that also in the grand canyon if you do not have a permit and need rescue also at niagara falls for stupid stunts of trying to go over the falls then changing your mind and hanging on to one of the rocks just before going over.

Default Cliffed out

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    It's my understanding that in some mountainous areas if you get rescued you do have to pay for it as there is some expense involved; chopper fuel, pilot fees slice of pizza, etc.
    Once me and my brother got cliffed out when I was about 13 and SAR came to the rescue at no cost to us. BUT they had been training with a helicopter in the area so I'm not sure if ours was a typical situation.