Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with hunting rifle.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default Need help with hunting rifle.

I'd like a good all around hunting rifle. Having said that though, I know that carribou (about the size of your deer), moose (about the size of a big horse), and bear (about the size of bad ***!) can all have their specialty sizes. I'm most likely to be hunting moose with this gun. These are the choices a friend who does gun sales has right now. What would you suggest?

Howa 30-06 or 308 $525 300win mag would be $550, Weatherby Vanguard in a variety of calibers for $560, Tikka T3 in 7mm or 30-06 for $600.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Need help with hunting rifle.
    You pull the handle thing up, and then you pull it back. reverse procedure and then you point it at the thing you want a hole in and squeeze the triggery thing

at least, that's what they told me to do.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

For what you want to do, I would most certainly go with the 30-06 chambering. Travels flatter and goes farther. My make and model would be the Remington 700. Long history of proven reliability and accuracy, used by military and LEO, and its made in the USA. I have looked at the models you've mentioned and they seemed okay. Never fired any of them though.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have a Savage model 110 that I really like. It is chambered in .308, but can be had in 30.06 as well. Out of the models you named I would go with the Tikka in 30.06.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Your choice would be somewhat affected by your recoil tolerance. If a big bad bear is a concern, go with a Magnum caliber, if you can handle the recoil. Otherwise either the .308 or the 30-06 would be my recommendation. While I prefer the .308, the 30-06 does handle 220 gr bullets (think big bear medicine) better than the .308. I have owned the Tikka rifle and they are good guns.

I would opt for the .30-06 if I were in Alaska. A great, all around caliber.

That said, you might go to this Alaska-specific site and ask your question of the many members there who live and hunt in Alaska. You'll have to register, but there is a tremendous amount of info about the outdoors of Alaska.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Alaska-Hunting

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

30-06. Defiantly ... The 300 win mag kills in the front ,but wounds in the back, I don't want something that kicks the crap out of me every time I pull the trigger!

.375 H&H mag...more versatile than people think
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger F View Post
    30-06. Defiantly ... The 300 win mag kills in the front ,but wounds in the back, I don't want something that kicks the crap out of me every time I pull the trigger!
    Yep. As the old saying goes, "Hell, death, and destruction on both ends!"

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    I would opt for the .30-06 if I were in Alaska. A great, all around caliber.

That said, you might go to this Alaska-specific site and ask your question of the many members there who live and hunt in Alaska. You'll have to register, but there is a tremendous amount of info about the outdoors of Alaska.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Alaska-Hunting

S.M.
    I'm a member on the Alaskan Outdoors forum and would never ask a gun question there. Hahhaha.

It's looking like a 30-06. A bit of recoil don't bother me, I'm a pretty sturdy gal. But it looks like this one has a lot of versatility which is a huge plus for me.

Now, if my car loan goes through tomorrow, with what I offered as a down payment, I'll have enough to buy another new toy.

I would think that the best advice about what would be best for your location would come from Sourdough.

I think he is slam nuts, but when it comes to hunting in Alaska, he's the guy I'd want info from. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Oh I would trust him on gun opinions, yes. But asking this question over there would start so much debate and opinionated rudeness, eh, I don't go there much anymore.

I can't answer your question but I would second 2d's suggestion. You might email SD or PM him through the other forum. That would avoid the forum issue.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I can't answer your question but I would second 2d's suggestion. You might email SD or PM him through the other forum. That would avoid the forum issue.
    Hahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

What? Who do I look like...Ken?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What? Who do I look like...Ken?
    In your dreams. You should be so lucky.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

30-06 out of a savage 110 seems mild on recoil to me, compared to my .270 Savage 110. I'd vote 30-06!

You are gonna want a wooden stock no matter what caliber or maker you choose...less recoil.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 10-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Thanks. I like wood. Stocks.

Weatherby Vanguard has a clone Remington 700 action with the adjustable trigger.....and still is guaranteed factory groupings....Have a .300 wsm.
    Howa is a similar unit, DD shoots one in .243.
    Tikka, don't know nothing about it.....

Personally I would chose a 30-06 as it shoot a verity of loads, where as the .308 is deadly on factory loads, but seem "twitchy" if you venture into different loading....(my own opinion, and don't want an argument).

Savage make a very nice low cost rifle for the money, and would consider one if I need another rifle....over the low buck Remington offerings.

Any other caliber is a personnel opinion, preference, and dedicated use.
    IMHO
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

there's not many problems a 30-06 and a long handled shovel won't take care of LOL. In all seriousness one of my criteria for a rifle is a simple trigger mechanism.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?