Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Metal Canteen

Default All Metal Canteen

I've been looking for a decent all metal canteen for a while then I found this on Cheaper Than Dirt yesterday.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/KEY132-1.html

Yes, it's aluminum and I know some of you won't use anything aluminum but I'm not one of those folks so I bought 4 to play with. They are suppose to be 1.5 liter so they hold about 1.5 quarts. For $5 for a set that's a hard price to beat.

The French also made a small stove to fit under the cup but I haven't had any luck finding one. It looks like

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

without the little can in it. I've read the standard U.S. canteen cup stove will also fit it so we'll see how that works. If anyone runs across the stove or knows where I can pick a few up just let me know. It looks a great deal like the Crusader stove. Hmmmmm.

I'll let you know condition and all once I get them. Probably Monday or Tuesday. I just thought if you've been looking for a metal canteen and don't mind that it's aluminum this is a pretty good deal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This "canteen cup stove" design has been around for better than 20 years that I know of. It works with trioxane fuel tabs, and with a fire made of small sticks & twigs. Turn it one way to serve as a "stove", turn the other way to nest the canteen cup inside it.

http://www.bradleyssurplus.com/produ...cup-stovestand

I don't mind aluminum canteens and water bottles as long as they're sturdy. The US military ones (late WWII thru Korea or so) will dent or flatten if you look at them too hard.

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-27-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Funny you brought up the stoves.....I bumped a ad on the top banner hare a while back....was for these stoves, being sold by Sportsmans Guide as a kit and now that ad won't pop up?????
    errrrr
    Still looking......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry, DN those aren't the ones. I have those things coming out my ears. Literally boxes full. But thanks anyway.

Hunter - I've seen all sorts of references to the Sportsman Guide stove but they seem to be out of them as does Cheaper Than Dirt and Colemans. I'm usually a day late and a dollar short on stuff. "Oh, yeah, we had those yesterday but we're out now." I hear that a lot.

And yes, I'm addicted to stoves. The family has tried an intervention. It didn't work. Now two of them collect stoves.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick,
    I've been looking into the stove they have on this site.I like the way the cup doesn't get stuck in the stove.
    But,they're out of stock till mid May.
    BTW,where did your cup cover come from?

http://www.canteenshop.com/id31.html

I've talked to Robert about that stove. His problem is he has had some trouble with the manufacturer and is trying to find a new one. I have all the military stoves made in the U.S. All of them many times over. (chuckle). I can just walk back in the storeroom and pick one up (I'll get yelled at. I always do.)

I'm looking for that exact French made puppy. I don't have it. I need it. It whispers my name late at night. It's like the Lost Dutchman Mine or the City of Gold. I just know it's out there and I WILL find it.

That pic above isn't mine. I posted that so folks could see the stove I'm looking for. I think that cover is home made. That's the French cup and I don't know of any cover made to fit those.

Your cup doesn't have to get stuck in the stove no matter what type (Army or Marine) of stove you carry. In fact, it shouldn't stick. The newer Army style

The cup should slide in and out freely. It should nestle down to the handles when cooking.

In the Marine version

you should cook on it as it is in the picture. Flip it over to store it nestled on the canteen cup. Neither should stick if they are genuine.

Before someone crows about my nomenclature yes I know both services used both types. The "Marine" or "USMC" stove was used by the Marines in WWII.

I really don't like the "search" on SG, and I had just closed the window for the canteen stove survivial kit....had the stove some fuel, mag fire starter and a book for like 415 bucks...........Now I can't find it.....The ad was on the top banner on this site!....What a PITA.

Anyway I like these stoves, and generally pick them up at my favorite surplus store in DeSoto WI, when I'm in the area of "The Place".

They don't have much of a web site, but if you give him a call he'll tell ya if he has any in stock.......
    Good prices as well.
    http://www.jrmilitarysurplus.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sorry, DN those aren't the ones. I have those things coming out my ears. Literally boxes full. But thanks anyway.
    I must have mis-read your post. Sorry about that.

BTW, how does the cap chain attach to the canteen? I'm wondering if it is detachable, or could easily be made so.

deleted....
    Last edited by Renatus; 02-10-2015 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
    described in review as attached by permanent chain.
    Renatus, with all due respect, the "review" doesn't answer my question. "Reviews" have said the same thing about the US military steel and aluminum canteens. It just so happens that I routinely remove and re-attach their "permanently-attached" caps.

If it's all the same to you, I'll just wait for Rick's answer (since he has a couple of the canteens in his possession).
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Well, will have Monday or Tuesday. They are shipping UPS. Why would you name a shipping company "Oops"?

No blood no foul on the stove post. I appreciate you trying to help.

I've got a few metal canteens that I picked up at a gun show years ago. IIRC they were French military. I'll dig them out and snap a picture of the lid attachment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, Woo Hoo!! They arrived today. Mighty quick shipping and they are in pretty good shape. The covers look almost new. They are the two snap, not the four snap that you might have seen. They had the typical musty, military surplus smell that all MS has (where IS that warehouse?) and I dunked them in some hot soapy water before I thought about taking some pictures. I'll get them up once the covers dry.

One canteen had a couple of minor dents and another had a dent in the mouth. I took a tack driver...oops....little hammer and double tapped it out then dressed up the threads with a triangular file. Good as new. Or good as military surplus. Here's some pics of the canteen and cup. These are what they look like straight out of the box. Neither has been washed yet.

(that's a 6 inch ruler - 152.4 mm)

DN - Here's a close up of the chain attachment. If you wanted to remove it there wouldn't be any trouble at all. The chain is aluminum. The little o ring is welded in place so that would be left unless you wanted to cut it off for some reason. But the chain and cap will come off.

Here is a comparison to the American Canteen.

And a comparison to the mouths.

The cup has small markings on either side that measures 1 1/4 cups. The cup full holds 3 cups. The canteen full holds 6 1/4 cups, which is 50 ounces or 1.56 quarts (1.47 liters for our Canadian friends). It should be noted that if you use purification pills for your water you will have to adjust the dosage accordingly.

One of the cap liners had spider cracks in it. None of the caps leaked but I installed some O rings anyway. If you have one of these go to Ace Hardware and ask for a #38 O ring. Fits the inside of the cap perfectly.

The U.S. Canteen Cup Stoves do NOT fit the French cup. Neither the Army nor Marine version stove. The cup is a smidgen too large.

The covers can either be carried using a belt up to 2.5 inches. That includes the standard Alice pistol belt. It also comes equipped with an M1910 wire belt hanger that will fit the standard Alice pistol belt. The inside of the cover has a wool like material for evaporative cooling. It might be wool for all I know.

I don't think that's too shabby for $4.93 plus shipping. Cover, cup and canteen.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set 24 Oz. - Stainless Steel

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/product/7213

I came across this setup not long ago, though I have not purchased one yet. I haven't seen one in person. It looks like it could have a few uses.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Very cool for the money....so the bottom line is the French canteens and cups are bigger than US if I read this right?

Yes. A half quart larger than the U.S.

Thanks good review, was wondering about the size.

I'm pretty pump about 'em. I filled them with different levels of water and I've been jug blowin' "Dixie" all afternoon. The dog think's I'm nuts, my wife knows I am and I can't hear but half the song.

When they just start shaking their heads, and walking away....they will leave you alone for a while....

I'm going to boil them in a vinegar/water solution tomorrow to clean the corrosion off inside and out. The house should smell pretty good.