Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd party photo host

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I still have some,,,,kinda beat up....but still hold old treasures that I still don't know what to do with.

Some were saving photos on DVD's from Walgreens......
    friend bought a new Mac Book....no player on it.....
    DVD going away like CD or small floppy disc's.....Then what?

Save to the "Cloud"?...Not comfortable with that.
    Sooo
    yes, a lot of laptops, including the one I am using at work (which already over 2 years old) No longer come with a DVD/CD drive as a standard,
    all software including OS is loadable via USb, and bios have been supporting the booting from USB for at least 10 years, it was always going to go away with dvd max capacity of around 4gigs. USB thumb drives far exceed that now..

I have lived through the 80ies to now and watch the big floppy's become small floppies, then floppies gone, cd drives became faster then cd/dvd drives usb arrived and that tech became better faster smaller, now cd/dvd are getting phased out, video renatl places went from VHS (and likely late 7oies beta max was a thing also but was limited in length in comparsion) DVD replaced that, now video rental places dont exist people stream and buy subscriptions to things..
    Things forever change..
    I had a 286 with likely 2mb ram and a 20mb hard drive when I was a kid,
    now I have a phone with an 8 core 2ghz processor, 3 gigs ram, 32gig Storage on board and not 1 but 2 16 mega pixel cameras (far more tech than they ever could imagine or dream of and 1000 X more than what they used to put people on the moon), and to do what with Take stupid duck face photos and share with friends, only to see if they will like it or not like, and to watch cat videos...
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 08-23-2017 at 03:41 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    This young bunch of tecno-nerds never heard of storing photos in shoe boxes. That is for us old geezers.

Do you remember back when we used to go to school first day of the year and one of the supplies you had to have was a new cigar box?

Used to be everyone had a cigar box laying around. The country store would keep a pile of them and give them to the kids at school start up.
    I dont know I cant speak for all techno Nerds, I can only speak for myself hahahahah.
    But No, I grew up with a dos based terminal pc and only had got a decent pc in 1998 (but after that I built my own pc every 2-3 years with whatever was good spec for price) only got internet around then too, as it only sorta came to SA around 1992/3?
    But I do self procliam as ALFA-nerd, as I can talk down any tech and spot any bs they try to pull.. which is often surprising to them as I do not fit the General decorum of a techno-nerd, I do not look like a nerd , i dont dress like a nerd , In fact I really hate IT and my JOB, I am just really damn good at it, and it annoys me cause it takes me freaking like less than 5% brain power to do it. (just patience) people are stupid, and lazy.
    I just wana get outta here and burn this mf down..
    but no I do know the old school photos and albums and various storage means of doing them (benifit for being born in 81)
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 08-23-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

36? I've got socks older than you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My prediction for IT technology for the next2-3 maybe 5 years is:
    No home pc will come with a hard drive,cd,rom or software or os on it.
    all pc's will come with built in web browsing software and every single thing else will exist on the cloud to which you pay subscriptions for.
    Your opperating systesm, softwares, files,etc etc.. all on line.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    36? I've got socks older than you.
    so Do I cause I am quiet poor like that.

I've been known to wear hongs that long.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Anthony, if you lived over here you would probably be in the top 15%-20% if the wage earners of your age group. IT is a good paying skill over here, nearly as good as medicine.

My wife combined the two and made a very comfortable living debugging and calibrating the medical analysis machines in hospitals all over our region.

Yes it is dull and dry and she wanted to be a history teacher all her life. Marrying me, a history teacher, and seeing the amount of work I did and the pay I got cured that.

I did not have a computer in my home until 2004. I used them at work but did not know how much communication I was missing until I was set down smack in the middle of it. The computers at the schools I taught had very intense filters and the internet,such as it was at the time, was filtered and monitored. Lots of people do not realize that school computers are allowed only to search places and sites approved by the school, not as much for protection of the innocent young minds as to insure they are learning what the system wants them to learn and nothing else.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Anthony, if you lived over here you would probably be in the top 15%-20% if the wage earners of your age group. IT is a good paying skill over here, nearly as good as medicine.

My wife combined the two and made a very comfortable living debugging and calibrating the medical analysis machines in hospitals all over our region.

Yes it is dull and dry and she wanted to be a history teacher all her life. Marrying me, a history teacher, and seeing the amount of work I did and the pay I got cured that.

I did not have a computer in my home until 2004. I used them at work but did not know how much communication I was missing until I was set down smack in the middle of it. The computers at the schools I taught had very intense filters and the internet,such as it was at the time, was filtered and monitored. Lots of people do not realize that school computers are allowed only to search places and sites approved by the school, not as much for protection of the innocent young minds as to insure they are learning what the system wants them to learn and nothing else.
    Statics show I am even in the top earners for southern Africa, but yeah no.. its a darn struggle just to make ends meet every month.
    I did upon a time consider immigration, to like UK when that was a thing.. Although I do actually have family in Tampa Florida, and have in my earlier years tried green card lotteries (when I had no attachments)
    I decided that well, the grass is greener where one waters it.
    I love my country and have hope for it to succeed.
    I try to be apart of the solution rather than run away and ignore a problem (but kinda how I was brought up)
    I love my Africa.
    Thanks for the light shed.
    I may at some stage just change my career to something that fuels my soul more than this though..like perhaps Survival instructing and such adventure tourism that goes with it. Time and opportunity will tell.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 08-23-2017 at 11:33 AM.

First computers I mess with was in the 1970 at a Tech school....Fortran and Cobol....with key cards.
    That was an interesting time (later)

Later when to Tech school for Windows....and as a student...you could buy any of the MS products at student rates for pennies ....

Get a kid used to a Windows OS....got them by the huevos for ever.....it worked.

Besides the tech school....did start using them for work.

The factory had up graded the IBM system to a RS 6000.....with crt's......Mosty data entry...and those IT people were in the secret clique .

Engineers used early PC mostly DOS...and had their own little clique taking in a secret language, as well...The old "I know and I won't tell you"...BS (engineers are like that)

Lots of big floppy disc's and smaller floppy disc's......
    And my Vic 20 used a cassette for data storage.

I had to get involved with PC running MS-NT and a early Windows...then MS windows -95.

That's about where I came in....My boss at the time didn't want to be bothered...and no one else wanted the job.

So...I took it on ....working directly with it guy for buying installing, loading and running a Manufacturing System.
    Really cool stuff....

Because of this....the first 3 Gateway PC's with a modem...were bought for the company..thinking about 4 g ......
    I had one...the it guy had one, and had a scheduler lady had one to play solitaire on.
    We had gotten to get the interwebs to download up dates.....but I used my Earthlink account at work and at home.

When all that bying loading running was up and running....I ended up with the Inv and Prod job......No one else wanted the job,.. again...

I loved that job....I was king of the world, all knowing all seeing, and if wrong...could change it to be ..right...LOL
    Had my minion doing my bidding....

Had also bought the fastest at the time Gateway for home...was like $3500 back when.

We, the IT guy and I had blown by all the IBM and Dos guys .engineers and finance guys...and were off and running.

When the factory closed....I was shutting down production and just messing around on the interwebs....
    Was Looking for jobs...President of the company came in....asked what I was doing...told him I was looking on the interwebs for a job...Normally I would have panicked ....But WTH, I was a dead man walking. as was he....

He looked over my to see if there were any CEO openings......LOL

So after a bit of rambling, I digress...

After my working years, and having to fight thru all that stuff... back when....downloads took over night.....and printing was SLOW.

These days I just was to PLAY...not work at it.

Was transferring all my saved pic from this old computer to a new one...and the "pinch zoom" was driving me nuts.....125% to 480% to 20%
    Had my Geek Squad guy turn it off.....What a PITA

Still like to get my pic's back from Photobutt.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-23-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dude, I am qualified in MS-NT (hahahahahahahaha) havent borthered to upgrade it. Just have a ton of experience
    I have worked on pretty much everything from unix/linux os/2 warp, various Apple OS (which usually is similar to bsod unix)... dos, win 3.1 win nt win 95, win 98 and win 98 sec edition windows long horn windows me windows xp, windows 7 windows 8 win 8.1 win 10. win server nt win server 2000 win server 2003 win server 2008
    linux webservers linux mail server linux firewalls... banking systesms as400's ibm main frames. raid systems Sans, the damn works.. I done it seen it know something about it.

I don't know what you just said, but it sounded sexy......in a weird ones and zeros sort of way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Personally, I think he just started hitting keys on the keyboard.

that's usually what happens when I am asked to explain things. People hear static.
    I find it easier to point at something and say hey, this this here no worky work. need new one GET. k thanks bye.

My IT guy that I worked with thru most all of that....was kinda a free thinker....and didn't get along with the the old IT department running IBM.

WE teamed up with VP...to ram thru all the steps for the new scheduling system...so learned a lot with those two.....
    IT guy knew the computer end, I knew the operation end....VP knew how to clear the way to make it happen.

IT guy had a sign on his door of the cubical "Before entering here.....RTFM"
    Words to live by...except most new units do not have one these days.

Had a bad time getting him to "let me drive"...he had to keep his hands off the keyboard when I was on.......LOL

This whole Cloud idea make me nervous......Ever see "Person of Interest" TV show?....Yeah, I know fiction....OR is it?
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-24-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    My IT guy that I worked with thru most all of that....was kinda a free thinker....and didn't get along with the the old IT department running IBM.

WE teamed up with VP...to ram thru all the steps for the new scheduling system...so learned a lot with those two.....
    IT guy knew the computer end, I knew the operation end....VP knew how to clear the way to make it happen.

IT guy had a sign on his door of the cubical "Before entering here.....RTFM"
    Words to live by...except most new units do not have one these days.

Had a bad time getting him to "let me drive"...he had to keep his hands off the keyboard when I was on.......LOL

This whole Cloud idea make me nervous......Ever see "Person of Interest" TV show?....Yeah, I know fiction....OR is it?
    sounds like you done the rounds and know the career. hahaha.
    No I have not seen that show.. although I have watched Mr. Robot.
    I will need to have a look at that show to comment..

I went with imgur.com In the process of moving stuff over for now... Just do it!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907