Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Survival Fishing

that don't sound numbing, that sounds painful
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Well, that's after the pain and your eyes roll back down and your teeth unclinch and......

Never mind, I have nothing to add - I'm just a troll.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    people who can't read have a hard time, for sure. You fold the net and then TIE in enough places to keep the meshes where you want them. Real hard to figure out, aint it. In shallow water, the cast net makes it convenient to haul in the net, but the catching is done by the net's falling to the bottom after being cast. so the fish are there, it's just more of a pita to retreive them. But you can pin the net to the bottom with parts of your body and "feel" for the fish, just like you do when seining around a clump of roots, etc, in a creek ,but horizontally, not vertically. AFter you pin one under your hand. you feel your way to stabbing him with your knife, repeat. If it's REALLy shallow, fresh water, you can stun small fish by "slapping" the water above them, using about 3 ft of pole, with 6" sticks tied across one end, like a paddle.
    Seems like a lot of work....why don't you just chase them down, then punch them

to death...
    Works for this guy....and he on the TV...making money.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think I might walk down to the lake with the Zebco and do some "survival fishing" tomorrow.

I'm about sick of all the stuff in the fridge and fish sounds good.

I won't be punching them, or stabbing them with my bowie knife, just reeling them in and putting them in the bucket.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Taking a day off to go fishing is one of the best ways to survive in this old world.

Alan

kyrat, do you really have a zebco? I have a little underslung triggerspinner I kept in the truck on a compact "fish anywhere anytime" pole. Can't kill those little suckers but my fishing buddies always gave me crap about it.

Which reminds me to move it to the "new" car. Poor old truck passed away last month and couldn't afford another one.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have one of those Lowkey. It came in a carrying case and breaks down to about 14". It's fished 6 states and been a ball.

I do carry fishing po;es. tackle and stuff in the trucks.....JIC...
    But found a couple of these at a yard sale for $5 bucks each..... for packing in.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Have had one of the Ronco Pocket Fisherman in the boat...when hunting is slow....
    DW bought it for me as a gift a million years ago.... they are still for sale...
    https://hardwareonlinestore.com/inde...hg7f5djqitnahs

Last edited by hunter63; 08-08-2017 at 10:49 AM.

I can make the biggest mess of fishing line you ever saw with an opened face reel. I have never practice it either. I'm just a natural at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I can make the biggest mess of fishing line you ever saw with an opened face reel. I have never practice it either. I'm just a natural at it.
    The closed bail always gave me trouble.....
    Guess that why they make both....so we can screw up ALL of them...something for everyone.

I started out on an old open bait casting reel.

You only get one birds nest done with one of those and the old "that will never happen again" alarm goes off, even when you are 10 years old!

I grew up on reels like this..........

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love my baitcaster Shimanos that I use for surf fishing. Both Tekotas (I had to go out to the garage and look. The Calcutta is down cellar somewhere. It needs repairs.) It's all about getting beyond the surf. Those reels just roll the line right off.
    The rods are crappy Ugly sticks but they just get shoved in rod holders on the beach. Don't need a lot of action for bluefish and stripers, and don't really want a lot of action to cast heavy bunker and lead weight (and floaters depending on crab season.) The smaller one, I sometimes use to cast 3oz lures on the walk out, or I'll set the bigger one with bunker at "the good spot" and use a smaller beaded spinning lure if baitfish are around.

IMG_1179.jpg
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Wow!!!

I just thread a worm on the hook and drop it in the lake.

A rod and reel lets me get out from the bank a ways but I can get supper right off the bank with a cane pole.

That is why I'm a Zebco man. You hand me something more complicated that a Zebco and I'll look for a cane pole. Believe it or not you can still by the Popiel Pocket Fisherman at Walmart for $20. As seen on TV!

I go down to the lower field .....set up a lawn chair.....and generally use a "river rig".

Grub from rotted wood or night crawlers form under rocks..........sinker ....1/2 oz or thereabouts.....18" up 3 way swivel........24 in line...hook and nightcrawler....downstream .

Biggest trout was 18"....DW caught it.....mostly brookies, a brown once in awhile....and since the floods....a few rainbows that got away form trout ponds.

Lot of suckers and red horse.....toss'em in the field.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-09-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    No you didn't!

I read all 8 of your posts and there is no reference to asking for information in any form.

Every post is your attempt to tell someone else what you know, and your "knowledge" is questionable.

Like I said in the other post, no participation trophies passed out here. We call BS when we see it.

Perhaps you should be over on another site where you can join in on the 1203 page thread titled "I love my Mora" Complete with pictures and 1000 posts that say "Kool!"

They also have a 1000 page thread titled "Show me your survival fishing kit!"

You will fit right in.

OK that New Year resolution is shot to h*!!
    This cracked me up! 😄 LOL!

Which site is this referencing? In 20+ years on the net, I apparently haven’t ran across it!

We do not mention "that other site" by name.

It is a sad substitute for reality, where rifles with plastic trigger guards are condemned but plastic pistols are worshiped and an investment cast extractor on a shotgun is unacceptable but an investment cast pistol is the only logical choice.

Neither can they differentiate between owning a knife and using a knife, with most emphasis on how it looks on ones belt as the deciding purchase factor.

Any cookware placed on their fires must be titanium or designed by a geriatric Canadian.

The ultimate proof of the pudding being when one of their moderators tapped out of Alone after just a few days because he had apparently prove to himself he could win. That or he lost his woogie or some such nonsense, I can't remember.

You see, over here the members and the moderators recognize their limitations and remain inside that realm of activity. "Survival fishing" involves lawn chairs and coolers filled with ones favorite beverage and "survival hunting" is often accomplished off the back porch of "the place", if we can do it while the neighbors are not watching.

While they try to convince themselves they can stay in the "bush" forever our primary concern is how can we get rescued the fastest. Preferaby while there is still enough fuel in the generator to keep the freezer going and ice in the cooler!

I haven't logged on to that site in years. Their life, their rules.....but I hate idiots on power trips. Oh, and way too many fan boys of over priced knives.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel