Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: natural replacements for RX ??

Default natural replacements for RX ??

Hi
    Im new to the forum
    I consider my family to be pretty prepared until my wife had her thyroid removed and is now taking 3 medications daily (fun)
    What if any natural or otherwise replacements can be found for Calcitriol eneric for Rocaltrol
    L-Thyroxine generic for Synthroid and Liothyronine generic for Cytomel
    Thanks for any help
    Wayne

If you are in the wilderness and do not have those, you could kill a mammal and eat some thyroid gland, but you have to eat it a few times a week. Also, you have to be careful with doing this for long periods, you could get too little or too much. Calcitriol is vitamin D, get it from the store or get sunlight at least 30 minutes a day.

Interesting...... A thought on the thyroid. Would the benefit from the consumed thyroid be desrobed by preserving it in a dried form?
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I am in some initial research concerning vitamin loss and dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    ................vitamin loss/reduction from blanching and dehydration, in particular vitamins A and C, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin......................
    I've got to get my sources in order for the above quote.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

gees, eating the thyroid...that kind of reminds me of that scene from the Mask of Zorro.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Interesting...... A thought on the thyroid. Would the benefit from the consumed thyroid be desrobed by preserving it in a dried form?
    Yes, Until 15 or 20 yrs ago, what they gave you was armour thyroid (known as Proloid) and it was dessicated sheep thyroid

Or you could talk to your doctor and get an extra 30/90 day supply and keep your meds rotated. Another method is...you usually have one or two pills left over from your 30 or 90 day supply. Just start saving those and rotating them with newer refills. It doesn't take long to have a pretty healthy supply built up. I have about 3 months supply on one of my meds by doing the latter. Just keep them rotated.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by wildgarlic View Post
    Yes, Until 15 or 20 yrs ago, what they gave you was armour thyroid (known as Proloid) and it was dessicated sheep thyroid
    My god, what would you do if you had prostate trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or you could talk to your doctor and get an extra 30/90 day supply and keep your meds rotated. Another method is...you usually have one or two pills left over from your 30 or 90 day supply. Just start saving those and rotating them with newer refills. It doesn't take long to have a pretty healthy supply built up. I have about 3 months supply on one of my meds by doing the latter. Just keep them rotated.
    That's what I did with all four of my prescriptions. Now I have a healthy stockpile.

My problem is pain. I have an extremely low pain tolerance. I just cannot tolerate much pain. I do have narcotics stockpiled, but I don't get much and I don't take it everyday as prescribed. So, if the SHTF for me, and I run out of pain reliever... it'll be that much harder for me out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    My god, what would you do if you had prostate trouble
    Totally different condition. There is an herb called saw palmetto extract for that.

For cancer treatment: blackberries, Pacific Yew
    For anaphylactic shock/as an adrenaline substitute: foxglove
    For minor laxative: pacific madrone
    For major laxative: cascara <--- this is what the make the RX stuff from

Just research the plants in your area for the best stuff in your environment, as it will vary from place to place. All these can be found in the Pacific Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Providing you do not denature it (Heat in excess of 60*C, PH change, Smoking, Salting, Press drying ect.) it is still a viable form although possibly less potent. I could quite easily see a survival situation in which you keep several dried thyroids in a pouch and take 1 -1/2 or whatever dosage as required. It would not be optimum, but given an extreme long term survival situation it is entirely plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by BushCraft View Post
    Providing you do not denature it (Heat in excess of 60*C, PH change, Smoking, Salting, Press drying ect.) it is still a viable form although possibly less potent. I could quite easily see a survival situation in which you keep several dried thyroids in a pouch and take 1 -1/2 or whatever dosage as required. It would not be optimum, but given an extreme long term survival situation it is entirely plausible.
    Proloid was dried or dessicated sheep thyroid, but thyroids from other mammals would also have an affect

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    For cancer treatment: blackberries, Pacific Yew
    For anaphylactic shock/as an adrenaline substitute: foxglove
    For minor laxative: pacific madrone
    For major laxative: cascara <--- this is what the make the RX stuff from

Just research the plants in your area for the best stuff in your environment, as it will vary from place to place. All these can be found in the Pacific Northwest.
    There have been cases of cancer going away in people who drank a very large amount of pureed fresh blackberries. The pacific yew was the original source of the anti cancer drug Taxol. Foxglove: be very very careful.

Banned

There have been cases of cancer going away in people who drank a very large amount of pureed fresh blackberries. The pacific yew was the original source of the anti cancer drug Taxol. Foxglove: be very very careful.
    You're correct abouty the Taxol. I knew someone on the team of the initial find of it. The biggest concern at that time was the economy and the life expectancy of people who would survive and throw the S/S system into depletion. They were very hesitant about releasing the find.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    You're correct abouty the Taxol. I knew someone on the team of the initial find of it. The biggest concern at that time was the economy and the life expectancy of people who would survive and throw the S/S system into depletion. They were very hesitant about releasing the find.
    The thing is crude extracts work much better than purified chemicals, but that is the way the system is: they want pure chemicals because they are patentable.

Banned

The thing is crude extracts work much better than purified chemicals, but that is the way the system is: they want pure chemicals because they are patentable.
    Absolutely correct. Natives in the jungle, Aboriginis, Native Americans..etc. have know this for years. They chew roots, make tea from leaves, suck on bark, all to extract the medicinal properties directly from the source. Now the pharmacutical companies put the same stuff in a pill and make beaucoup money.

Thank goodness they do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

.....I want to purchase pure chemicals because they are predictable.........
    Fixt, least ways my take. When I purchase almost anything I expect a consistent product. When I home brew, the bar can be lower or even higher in some circumstances.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Taxol is also a drug currently (and for at least15 yrs) used in chemo for breast cancer.