Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Treating posion ivy/stinging nettel/other poisonous plants: whiteboy style

If you think about the actual process it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Once the material enters the mouth saliva containing enzymes begins to break down the plant including the urushiol that causes the reaction. Once it enters the stomach then it's in contact with hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride and sodium chloride that make up gastric acid. I have no idea what happens to the urushiol under those conditions but I have to believe some chemical changes are taking place along the way. My luck, I'd break out from entry to exit.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've been curious about this aspect for a while. Most things cause more of a reaction each time the body is exposed. There are a few things that are opposite. I really doubt poison ivy is one of them. I never used to be effected by it then one day I finally got it. I've heard a lot of other people say every time they are exposed it gets worse and worse. Same with bee strings, food allergies... But, there are things like snake venom...I wonder what the physiology is on that and why they are different...

1. It is not fantasy
    2. This has been in my genes for me to do so
    3. It is not stupid and dangerous if you know what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
    1. It is not fantasy
    See you on the other side. Good luck with that.

Good luck with that. If you have poison ivy in your jeans then you are going to be pretty miserable for a while.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

1. It is not fantasy
    Its in your genes for you to do so ? Son, you need your head examined !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you think about the actual process it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Once the material enters the mouth saliva containing enzymes begins to break down the plant including the urushiol that causes the reaction. Once it enters the stomach then it's in contact with hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride and sodium chloride that make up gastric acid. I have no idea what happens to the urushiol under those conditions but I have to believe some chemical changes are taking place along the way. My luck, I'd break out from entry to exit.
    If poison ivy is eaten, the digestive tract and airways will be affected, in some cases causing death.

Urushiol oil can remain viable on dead poison ivy plants and other surfaces for up to 5 years and will cause the same effect.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

That's sort of my feeling on the subject. I can't fathom how eating it would produce any type of immunity. Still, others swear by it.

1. It is not fantasy
    So Dr. Boy......

In your infant wisdom can you guarantee that all people will have the same experience that you did.

It is dangerous and reckless to recommend this to people not knowing what their sensitivity is. Your sample size is to small to make such a generalized statement. Just because someone can eat peanuts doesn't mean everyone can.

There are many articles that post good to dead results from eating PI.

No guarantees
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 02-28-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Don't forget when you're 13 you know everything. It's only in adulthood that we forget everything.

I was always impressed with the fact that the older I got the smarter dad got. Someday my kids my figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's sort of my feeling on the subject. I can't fathom how eating it would produce any type of immunity. Still, others swear by it.
    There have been many cases of folks dying from eating poison ivy, oak, or sumac as they all contain the same substance urushiol. My question is it worth dying for to see if it works ? Survival of the fittest, death of the stupid ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Urushiol oil can remain viable on dead poison ivy plants and other surfaces for up to 5 years and will cause the same effect.
    There are reports of it remaining active for more than 20 years. It may not have an "expiration date" where it becomes safe.

And to the OP, again I'll say that repeated exposure weakens your immune system. One day you will have an allergic reaction that could result in death.

I'm in your corner, Lamewolf. I'm agreeing with you.

We are loaded with poison ivy. I am constantly exposed to it above my boots. I also have a bad habit of touching it when I show folks the various forms the plant can take. I have never had a reaction. But, do worry about eventually getting a reaction due to repeated exposure. Most of my encounters do not damage the plant. So, I shouldn't be creating large amounts of the urushiol by lightly brushing the plant.

I do find it hard to believe that a plant that repeated exposure to will increase the likelihood of allergic reaction will have a diminished effect after repeated internal exposure.

@Whiteboy - please understand that on this forum if somebody offers up advice that is bad, he/she will be called on it. What you are advocating is bad advice. http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/p/poison_ivy.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Batch, I've waded through poison ivy as well the whole time I worked outside and I had never been bothered with it. A few years ago I tore out an old split rail fence and while carrying some of it to the truck I managed to smash some against the inside of my forearm. That is the one and only time I've ever broken out. It was pretty mild but still had a few blisters. I guess some of us are less sensitive to it than others. That would be a good thing.

jewelweed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

As a kid, we were wandering around the woods and came across a big ole hairy vine - probably a couple of inches in diameter (at least it seemed that big as a kid). You guessed it - poison ivy. There were four of us and we all got it. Of course on a hot summer day we were running around with shorts and our PF Flyers. I had it over most of my body. Eyes swelled shut. Hands heavily bandaged to keep me from scratching. Our doc made a house call every day for about 10 days to check on me. Was sensitive to direct sunlight for some time and had to wear dark, dark sunglasses outside for six or eight month.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    As a kid, we were wandering around the woods and came across a big ole hairy vine - probably a couple of inches in diameter (at least it seemed that big as a kid). You guessed it - poison ivy. There were four of us and we all got it. Of course on a hot summer day we were running around with shorts and our PF Flyers. I had it over most of my body. Eyes swelled shut. Hands heavily bandaged to keep me from scratching. Our doc made a house call every day for about 10 days to check on me. Was sensitive to direct sunlight for some time and had to wear dark, dark sunglasses outside for six or eight month.
    Wow that must have been awful. I normally get poison ivy rashes about 4 to 5 times a year sometimes more and my rashes certainly haven't gotten better over the years after repeated exposure. I consider myself pretty sensitive to the stuff so I'm never even going to attempt to eat the stuff because I'm not going to take the risk. One thing that surprised me though was a couple weeks ago I accidentally sat right up against a poison ivy vine on a tree and I know it got on my arms and neck, but I never got a rash. Maybe after all these years of exposure to poison ivy I'm immune, but probably not.