View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

thats the point sarge, les is showing us that it is anything that anyone of us are capable of doing. as for getting my own show gotta know the right people.

Blog Entries

I do like Les, but hey, there is just something about a guy who drinks elephant crap water, wraps a pee laden t shirt around his face, drinks pee, eats live snakes, and drinks nasty water.

And that's Entertainment.

Honestly, Bear does not impress me. I have many friends who are much more impressive, they just don't have thier own tv shows.

Blog Entries

Cool Aha!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I do like Les, but hey, there is just something about a guy who drinks elephant crap water, wraps a pee laden t shirt around his face, drinks pee, eats live snakes, and drinks nasty water.

And that's Entertainment.

Honestly, Bear does not impress me. I have many friends who are much more impressive, they just don't have thier own tv shows.
    I hear that! Les definately keeps it more real. I realized that just watching the recent reruns of his 1st season this weekend. It's the way the shows are hyped that's a bit problematic for me. It's why we have the "Which do you like better" thread.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
    I have seen Man vs. Wild and enjoyed it. But I have not seen Survivorman yet. I don't even know when it airs in our area? I will have to look for it because I think it sounds interesting.
    You can catch either on Discovery on Friday nights.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by mamab View Post
    My husband and kids love to watch these shows. Do you think they have anything to actually teach people about surviving in on "have-to" basis?
    To be honest, either of them will get you dead if you depend on them for a teaching tool. They both have the skills, but both do things that'll get you hurt if you don't know what you're doing. I like both shows, but not for learning the skills.

I have to admit, I'm liking Survivorman more and more. Thanks to my Media Center I've been recording all the shows that come on and I think I'm pretty much caught up. Can't wait for the new season. I'll still watch both though.
    Survival Skill - Personal Outdoors Survival Blog and Resources
    Nevada Carry - Nevada Concealed Carry Information and Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I It's the way the shows are hyped that's a bit problematic for me.
    You keep coming back to that Sarge, and that's exactly what it is. If sponsors think people are going to watch a guy eating scorpions or falling off mountains, that's the guy they're going to get and the hype is going to make the casual observer (they've got 30 seconds to hook you as a viewer, right?) believe the guy is superman or whatever. If they think the viewer wants to see Joe Average out there struggling against the environment, bingo! line the guy up. Find someone like NorthFace of MEC to outfit him and away he goes. I'm not going to let my survival depend on something I saw on a TV show, for one reason I can't afford about 90% of the gear those guys use, anymore than I'm going to start believing the "news" on Fox, CNN and a lot of other news broadcasts. I seldom see TV anymore any way...can't be bothered. Turns out they just want to sell me the right brand of toothpaste!

I think that forums such as these, where a person can offer their point of view in a respectful and intelligent manner and receive responses the same way (and I applaud disagreement, as long as both parties aren't attacking one another) may be the last bastion for true information sharing we have. It's one of the few uses I have for the InterWeb or the worldwidenet or whatever
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Bear Grylls has mentioned that what he does on his show is what HE himself would do (and does) to survive in the given scenario. Other shows like Survivorman portray DIFFERENT scenarios with different resources available. So to say that one person is wrong or the information is "bogus" for not being the same as what a "better expert" says is nonsense.

People will survive as they are taught to survive. Many strategies and methods of survival work. Some better than others. I believe the shows are intended to make people think more creatively and to give a sense of caution to life-saving decisions. It isn't necessarily meant to be repeated exactly as done.

And you CAN drink urine. It is mostly water and because of your internal temperature it comes out sterile. If you don't have a water source, you reuse what you have. Not to mention that if you let yourself get dehydrated just to put off the inevitable because you *think* you will find clean water, you will end up peeing very little of a higher concentration of waste. I've been dehydrated, I know.

So for all of you people bashing Bear Grylls or Les Stroud or whoever else has a show, you aught to think about it less in terms of precise information and more in terms of possibilities for survival. Both of these survivalists have gotten ill on their shows but it doesn't mean that it was stupid of them to eat what they ate or have drunk what they drank.

Being picky and critical about every little thing can and most likely will get you into a worse situation than being reasonable and using logic.

So for all of you people bashing Bear Grylls or Les Stroud or whoever else has a show

We aint bashing Les Stroud....because he's not a lying douche.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplosive22 View Post
    Bear Grylls has mentioned that what he does on his show is what HE himself would do (and does) to survive in the given scenario. Other shows like Survivorman portray DIFFERENT scenarios with different resources available. So to say that one person is wrong or the information is "bogus" for not being the same as what a "better expert" says is nonsense.

People will survive as they are taught to survive. Many strategies and methods of survival work. Some better than others. I believe the shows are intended to make people think more creatively and to give a sense of caution to life-saving decisions. It isn't necessarily meant to be repeated exactly as done.

And you CAN drink urine. It is mostly water and because of your internal temperature it comes out sterile. If you don't have a water source, you reuse what you have. Not to mention that if you let yourself get dehydrated just to put off the inevitable because you *think* you will find clean water, you will end up peeing very little of a higher concentration of waste. I've been dehydrated, I know.

So for all of you people bashing Bear Grylls or Les Stroud or whoever else has a show, you aught to think about it less in terms of precise information and more in terms of possibilities for survival. Both of these survivalists have gotten ill on their shows but it doesn't mean that it was stupid of them to eat what they ate or have drunk what they drank.

Being picky and critical about every little thing can and most likely will get you into a worse situation than being reasonable and using logic.
    Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. By the way, welcome to the wolf pack! Are we dissin' Bear? You bet dawg, which is our unalienable right as members of the TV audiance.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I like both shows I dont see why people cant like both man vs. wild and survivorman.sure bear looks staged some times. but it is still I cool show. and all the poepl who like less hate bear and the other way around.
    Jesus is my king.

Blog Entries

Cool No hatin'!

Quote Originally Posted by survivorman. View Post
    I like both shows I dont see why people cant like both man vs. wild and survivorman.sure bear looks staged some times. but it is still I cool show. and all the poepl who like less hate bear and the other way around.
    I don't love nor hate either of those guys. I'll be watching any shows that they put on. But I'd still like to see Dr. Ron Hood or even this Ray Mears guy along with them.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the welcome.

I like both shows although I find Man vs Wild to explain things better. It has an educational feel to it and Bear is very articulated and easy to listen to and great fun to watch.

Survivorman is comedic from my point of view. I especially like the Boreal Forest episode where he boils a plant root in his hat and makes sour faces as he eats it. The throwing up was funny too.

They both present somewhat unrealistic situations though. It is a little easier to keep your cool knowing that people are aware of your situation and WILL come rescue you should you need help.

Really though, the information is useful and I have a higher awareness of the usefulness of my surroundings when I go out.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up I hear dat.

No debate there mate. Both shows do fill a void in the "world of outdoor survival", that's for sure!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

bear takes to many chances,survivorman is more real

I agree with that. I suppose when you're loves contain climbing and parachuting you tend to incorporate it into your lifestyle. You can clearly see that Bear Grylls has a more adventurous time with his filming. I can appreciate that though. If you're comfortable that you'll survive the night, why not have a little fun?

In all seriousness though, the enthusiasm of the host really makes a difference in how much you take in from the show and the entertainment value.

http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/b...d_Inaccuracies

Ahahahahahahhahahahha!
    A list off al the stupid things that Bear does.
    Eating eggshells? Why the **** would you do that. Stupid.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yeah Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/b...d_Inaccuracies

Ahahahahahahhahahahha!
    A list off al the stupid things that Bear does.
    Eating eggshells? Why the **** would you do that. Stupid.
    This was really good reading, thanks for sharing dude!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    This was really good reading, thanks for sharing dude!
    Yeah, what Sarge said, that's good stuff, thank you.

That is how we learn from what Bear does, by analyzing what he does wrong, and learning from it. In this way, Bear really can help us learn about wilderness survival.

Of course, Darwin Award candidates may literally follow his every move and die as a result, but we can't really do anything about that, except maybe sharing advice with others both online and in person. Then again, Darwin Award types generally neither seek nor heed advice.

Default Man vs Survivorman

I have only seen Man vs Wild one time and almost threw my Bud Light at the television and some of the crap he was doing. I believe he was in the Copper Canyon region of Mexico and just doing some stupid s$%t in my opinion.He was climbing down a sheer cliff and then jumping over a gulch to get down when it was obvious that an easier and SAFER route was visible from the top of the ridge he was on. Then he was jumping off of waterfalls into a river with no way of knowing what lay beneath the water. If you are in a survival situation these are things you should never take a chance on,unless someone's chasing you with an AK 47! I like Survivorman much better as it is more realistic and Les rarely takes stupid chances like whats his face does. Just my opinion.