Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Cold real time help needed.

Default So Cold real time help needed.

Well it's 1 am day after x mas. And I'm trapped in my car. Lost keys to my apprement and can't get ahold of Landlord. I have half a tank of gas. My heater in car doesn't work so well. But if I drive a bit it works. Out side temp is -16 dagresss Celsius. I don't have any candles. Ideas on how to stay warm guys
    ps no emergency kit in car.

Go sit in the lobby of the apartment complex or go to an all night convenience store or some other business.

Alan

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Go sit in the lobby of the apartment complex or go to an all night convenience store or some other business.

Alan
    Boxing day /x mas night they are all closed. And there is no lobby to the apartment.

Break into your apartment. You'll be warm. If the police come they will take you to jail were it is warm.

Or just go to the police station.

Alan

Wow your so helpful. Ty. ^-^

Have you solved it? Are you OK?
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Man View Post
    Wow your so helpful. Ty. ^-^
    That is helpful. You're at an apartment, it must be a town. If it's a town there must be police. If there's police there must be a police station. The probably have the heater on. It's what I would do, IF I didn't break into my apartment.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 12-26-2018 at 10:22 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is why they invented Waffle House.

Sadly this person seems to be either British or Canadian, (measuring in Celsius and -16 so probably Canadian) which answers several questions that flashed through my mind originally, and I am not sure of their Waffle House or "truck stop" status.

Yep, got to be Canadian!

I personally solve this problem in advance by having my auto keys and house keys on the same key ring.

I have been known to leave the whole shebang on the table by the door and lock myself out!

At which point I go to the tree where my extra key hangs in a plastic container high up out of sight and let myself back into the house.

My real question is how does a person know how to work an I-phone and get on the internet when they are faced with freezing to death and not have an extra key or an emergency kit in the vehicle or know where the closest all night restaurant is located?

Information which can also be retrieved on that same phone.

I wonder if he is dead yet?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Extra hidden keys? Really? People do that?

If they don't want to be locked out of their homes, I guess they do. But, ima tell you what, on the day (or night) I'm standing outside my home and the temp outside is minus in any heit or grade, and I've just run plumb out of hidden keys, I'm going inside. I might be buying and fixing windows or doors the next day, but I'm going in that night.

I suggested a convenience store, but, they were all closed. So then I suggested the police station. They're never closed. Oh well, Darwin told us about this.

Maybe he wanted me to suggest that he build a fire in his trunk....

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 12-26-2018 at 06:06 PM.

So sad this person does not have a friend at all in the world that would let them doss down for the night...

Hospitals are always open too.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Maybe the bears got him!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Maybe he wanted me to suggest that he build a fire in his trunk....
    Yeah! On a survival forum?
    Isn't everywhere in the world something like calling the 911?
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

We used to refer to these visits as "drive by" posts.

Things indicating stupidity beyond comprehension.

Someone registers just so they can throw a grenade in and disappear, never to be heard from again.

Yeah, that was literally a drive by post. Locked out? Call a locksmith. Doesn't take a lot of smarts to get inside your domicile and keep from freezing to death unless alcohol or drugs were involved.

I'm 60. I haven't locked my keys in the truck since I was 15. And back then you just needed a coat hanger. NEVER locked out of my house. Pretty sure I could get in any place but a bunker if I was freezing. Pretty sure I wouldn't get into that predicament anyway. And I ain't that smart.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="5eJaeOP"><a href="//imgur.com/5eJaeOP">put my headphones in and then got distracted so i sat here for an hour with headphones on listening to nothing</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

see?

He shows 9 posts. Did he post this same stuff to other subjects? I guess I could go look myself.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

He had several posts about 6 months ago involving hugging the bears in Canada.

Same thought process.

So he has been around long enough to know that in Canada one needs to have a cold weather emergency kit in their vehicle, but the synapses in the brain have not made the connection that brings one to the action of putting a cold weather kit in the car.

It is the perfect example of the Canadian motto, "if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough".

I'll bet Possom Lodge was open. Ranger Gord would have let him stay warm in Fire Watch Tower 13. A Tim Horton's would have warmed him right up. That's jokes, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    "if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough".
    This belongs on a T-shirt, like Stoney Ridge Farmer's "Stupid Should Hurt". (He's a YouTuber favorite of mine.)
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

I've found that a lot of the "tough guys" really are dumb, for a fact. But then, so are a helluva lot of the weak ones. Just look at nearly all
    Last edited by Rick; 04-23-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: I'm not taking the time to move his dumb post. I'll just remove the comment.