Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite panfish and why?

Perch from Lake Erie and Sundusky Bay. As soon as the water is 68 degrees, they start biting. They taste wonderful but you need 20 of them for a good meal.
    Bluegill are also excellent.

Salmon, the way I fix it: crispy, spicy, Cajun style.
    (come to think of it, that's how I fix every fish)

Bluegill and crappie are tasty, but the little red eyed rock bass caught in clear cool highland rivers and streams are delicious.
    "We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

I haven't eaten rock bass in a long time now. They're good stuff.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Butter fried brown trout on a piece of swedish rye bread with some herbs from the woods...

Brookies, browns or rainbows, panned fried and served up with sides of sauteed morels and ramps when in season.
    "We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

I like ocean perch. Can get limits of dinner plate sized ones in 15 minutes. I just don't shoot them anymore because they are such a pain to clean, and are so boney. But a lot of shore fisherman don't mind taking them off your hands.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Depends where I am fishing, Fresh water I take bluegill if the bigmouths aren't biting and atlantic ocean it is generally srgnt majors or gulf coast it is whiting if the spotted sea trout or redfish are scarce.
    D.O.M.

CRAPPIE ! Taste great and once located you can catch a boat load !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Big... slab... crappie...

Better than sauger... and bigger than sunfish (bluegill, etc.) After scalin' and cleanin'... we sometimes fry 'em and eat 'em... fins and all... just pick the bones clean like buzzards.

I like crappie, because its regularly stocked in several private lakes I fish in, and in a lake that's less then 2 miles from my home.

I have to say bluegill, easy to catch, quick to prepare, they are plentiful here, I use them as catfish bait as well.
    More than Life Paracord. Can do more than save your life. http://www.facebook.com/morethanlifeparacord

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was raised on Bluegill, leave the bones in and season with salt, pepper, and flour. Pan fry, then roll the meat down from the spine to clear the bones. Have many dipping sauces and hot sauce on hand. A cold beer never hurts.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I second the perch. I live on Lake Erie and the Perch are great. We have many Perch Fests from the Summer to the Fall, great prices and no mess. Hard to beat.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Salmonnnnnnnnn.....fresh salmon...raw salmon, with a squeeze of lemon and table vinegar or dipped in white wine is simply great. They are great on pan too...Simply Salmonnnnnnn!!!!!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Freshwater: crappie, bluegill and catfish.
    Saltwater: snook, speckeled trout, and red drum.
    Why? Impeccable taste!

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

I'm fortunate to live in an area where a short drive west can put one in a trout stream and a short drive east is the Chesapeake bay. Not long ago we hit a brackish creek where croaker, spot, taylor bluefish, puppy drum and speckled sea trout can be caught.

1j0ysi.jpg1j0ysi.jpg

Lake trout.....you can't go wrong with lake trout. it's good pretty much any way you want to cook it, delicious with rice, potatoes, bannock, whatever.

Or...and this is a more difficult one, but arctic cod. We went fishing for cod through the sea ice this one time when I was kid. rolled the fillets in, if memory serves, and I'm going back 16 years here, so I could be wrong, but I think we used bannock dough, or possibly bannock mix without water added (way easier than bringing all the ingredients, incidentally. we just mixed up flour, baking powder, milk powder and shortening and tossed it in a container. added water at the campsite), and panfried it. I can tell you it was incredibly tasty. Granted, fish you caught yourself served in a canvas tent is probably always going to be delicious, but even so.

Banned

Default Bass-O-Matic for terrific bass, and so easy! Try other pan fish as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are not many fresh water fish that I really like. The meat is just too mushy for me. Sorry, I can't get that mushy stuff down. Trout is nice and Salmon I do like (I'm claiming them as fresh water). Catfish fried correctly is pretty darn good, though.
    Was watching the SNL40 show recorded from Sunday night and thought about your comment about fish "the meat is just too mushy". Perhaps you need to read the instructions more carefully that came with your "Bass-o-Matic":

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...ssomatic/n8631

Dan Aykroyd talked more slowly in the latest version of this classic TV ad. But that lovely young lady still seems to enjoy it.

Laraine Newman "WOW! that's terrific bass!"

Not exactly related, but anyone try carp/ goldfish or Koi? Goldfish are damn hardy and make for a nice decrotive addition to a pond/ fountain. Careful with and natural ponds or ponds with stream or any outlet to public waterways. Round here, and I think all of US, could be looking at big fine for introducing an invasive species.

I only keep cichlids since Goldfish are not for indoor tanks, well normal sized ones. Doubt any one would be ok with my poaching a koi/goldfish to try how they taste either.