Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weed Eaters

I don't eat grass of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Goats produce gas if they eat the right kind of grass !
    They are kinda hard to shut off when the lawn is done.....
    Just saying.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've had very good luck with echo and sithl. I'm on my second echo trimmer, the first was a 210 and I believe this one is a 225. My stihl chainsaw which is a ms250? needs service now but that's mostly my fault, it was forgotten about and left outside in the weather for quite a while.

While we're on the subject.....how do ya'll store your trimmers and saws and such? Do you drain all the gas after use?

In the fall I drain/dump them out.....after each use?..... no...
    Stored in a horizontal position hanging under a shelf in the garage.

At "The Place"(cabin)..on loft in the shed.....

I use only 2 cycles. I got a 4 cycle once and it worked great until I put the pole saw on it. It would not run right, burned oil and stopped because I was using it in a vertical position. 2 cycle Toros for me. I store them vertically on hooks hanging by the powerhead, never drain the gas, punch the bulb five times, crank once on choke and once in run and I'm off doing my thing.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't eat grass of any kind.
    I think he was referring to a real goat, not an old goat.

Well...maybe brownies?

I just have gas not matter what I eat. Must be global warming.

Well, sounds like this might be for the wrong crowd, but this is my experience concerning string trimmers while running my own full time yardscaping service for ten years ('yardscaping', because lawn care was only part of what I did)...

2-cycle, lower-end Walmart/lowes/homedepot specials (don't remember where for which kind of item). Bolen, MTD, Yardman, stuff like that. I never even looked for a particular brand, just certain design features (I think some are different names for the same thing). Straight shaft, non-commercial grade, no embellishments. Would get one with the spool which gives two lines coming out, and you just wind them both together, not separated. Bump knob.

100 degree plus weather, and never had an issue with the line welding in the spool. Sometimes it would a tiny bit, but I'd just stop, grab an end and tug a bit, and keep going...if bump-knobbing and throttling didn't do it. Would always use the bigger diameter orange line that has edges to it. Can even do over a hundred feet of chain link fence, getting every bit of growth in among the fence and eat up almost none of my line. Not by scalping down to the ground either. Special ninja string trimmer technique. (Never owned a rigid blade edger either...special ninja string trimmer technique.)

Now, what's worth mentioning here is...and my mowers and leaf blowers would be of equal grade and cost...in my business I would use one of these items the same in one week as some homeowners would use theirs in a whole year. And each item would keep running good for me for a few years. And I do mean a few years, plural, at least. For me, not a homeowner who uses theirs only a fraction of what I do. And with almost no break downs or maintenance for years, while homeowners are always taking their stuff to the shop every spring.

Obviously what's going on here is just observing those few simple things in the area of "taking care of the equipment" which many people don't - Occasionally clean air filter, don't use old gas that you've been keeping in a gas can during the whole year, don't leave gas in it over the winter, don't leave out in the weather, don't abuse it and run over all kinds of crap, clean out under the mower deck, keep blade appropriately sharp, etc.

Shoot, I used one cheaper mower once for so long, with only something like a broken wheel which was nothing to replace, still giving a proper nice looking cut...that when it stopped running it was because it simply lost the ability to create and maintain enough compression. And I'm talking a lot of use. A strip of grass that'd wrap around the Earth. And the same type of experience goes for the string trimmers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 06-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Oh, I hear you......
    As a young man I had a lawn cutting service.....and I ha a power mower that I bought with the money I made with a push mower...
    Used it almost everyday, in the summer....for several years.....
    Replaces blades, wheels, hung the gas tank with copper wire when the mount broke....just kept going.

So keep them running has an advantage of letting sit.....without a doubt.

That said, I don't do that anymore, .....so my equipment has to be able to conform to my needs and uses....So I pay the price.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I still feel that the older stuff lasted longer and ran better than what we are stuck with today.

As a kid we would buy a cheap Sears or Western Auto 21" 3hp push mower for $29.95 and mow three yards a day for the whole summer, park it in the shed for the winter and use it for a second season.

We never knew we were supposed to change the oil or drain the gas and those machines just kept going forever. Most of the time the wheels and deck gave out while the motor was still good.

My Dad had a Toro push mower he used for at least 15 years mowing a one acre lawn once a week. He would not let us boys take it off the place and use it for our pocket money mowing. We might hit a pipe driven into the ground or run over a big rock with his baby.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?