Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers

Well, I have been trying to get on "Survivor" for years as the token "Old guy" and get voted off first.....Then hang out at the hotel for 38 more days on their dime.....so far no joy.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    ..............do you have your 2012 End of The World..............
    If you would read, it is not the end of the world, it's just a transition/change. If you would have prepared for the rapture, you've had at least two good chances already, you'd be ready now.

Both are/were simply predicting change. I figure you only need to be ready for both 60hz and 50hz power. Somewhere, somebodies life is going to change. That's all.

Sheesh.

LOL
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I doubt they said exactly that TresMon. No smart casting director or producer is going to tip their hand like that.
    Your free to doubt.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I guess I'll watch the first episode, but I pretty much agree with everyone on the thread, they are just going to make these people out to be wackos, and IMHO they certainly are. It's is contrary to true survivalism to advertise your preparations, as everyone knows. Especially on national TV. If it was ME;

"Hey we're doing a new show on people who are preparing for Doomsday, would you like to be on it?" "I don't know what you're talking about, I only have 2 cans of soup , some TV dinners, and half a carton of milk in the house".

these shows are interesting and not really on the realistic side , they always show people with some bizarre twist , like he's a normal guy stores food correctly ,reloads ammo , builds his own knives everything sounds good , until he opens his mouth , then its clear he's either a transexual , or homosexual (which I dont care but when your on tv trying to show the seriousness of survival and these turds all of a sudden talk about hormones ,etc , ****) Look the media is gonnaa make these people look bad because lets face it , the government is our savior!!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Reality shows always take things to the extreme. Scenarios are far overplayed by the worlds worst actors or people that are far gone.
    The shows positive angle is that it helps spread more of a "Taboo" lifestyle. If I were to tell a friend I was packing a ferro rod and a mylar blanket among other things on a simple hike, he would think I was paranoid. Too many people overlook prepping for emergency situations and it's in those emergencies where one person who planned accordingly helped the group or they all died.

It will help those on the edge and had a thought to prep. These people may just end up prepping a few things rather than nothing at all. As far as others, they won't watch it, and in the case something does happen, they will be knocking on the wrong neighbors door. You cannot laugh at people, then decide to ask for their help in times of need, especially extreme need.

As to the rapture, first, all those who plan on being raptured, please sign over all your earthly wealth to me. Second, get off my planet already!
    I know what hunts you.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Show was never intended to put peppers in a good light. A friends distant relative was one of the casting folks. He suggested me to them. I got through three steps of the process and was told "your not extreme enough or paranoid enough, thanks, have a good day." At that I was glad to have no part of it.
    Wow Tres, if they did not think you were wako what WERE they looking for? I have conversed with you a lot and I do not doubt your insanity for an instant!

sniker, sniker... I simply could not pass that chance up!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Moron is beyond 2Dumb. There's dense, dumb, 2dumb, Hey ya'll watch this then moron.
    This is why I come here. I learn so much. Thanks for the clarification.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Remember how crazy things got in 1999, prepairng for the year 2000, People went nuts. Nothing happened.

$hit hits when you least expect it. Otherwise we'd hide the fans.

End of the World, Supernova, 5-mile meteor, Solar Mass Ejection, eruption of yellowstone, Rapture, any of those you're pretty much hosed as far as living on this world.
    I was inferring TEOTWAWKI, in other words, a rather sudden change in fortune, not leaving this plane of existence entirely...
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by waukasha View Post
    Remember how crazy things got in 1999, prepairng for the year 2000, People went nuts. Nothing happened.
    Well, as the year progresses and more "prepping" topics become exposed in various media outlets, the paranoia will rise. Chaos arises when people feel they've fallen behind, so a quick run to the store among other crazies will be interesting. This will lead to local tv stations airing the chaos, thus adding more chaos.

Just think of the insanity that is Black Friday, imagine adding in the thought of not making it to Christmas. You have people buying presents out of "hope" along with whatever supplies they feel they might "need" to survive.

I really hope we don't have a bad storm December 21, or people are going to go crazy and that's when SHTF. In essence, nothing big can happen, but people's last minute paranoia versus true preparedness is what will cause mass chaos.

5-mile meteor (head slap!). Crap. How did I miss that? Now I have more planning to do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I absolutely hate the Survivor series! That is not survival!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    $hit hits when you least expect it. Otherwise we'd hide the fans.
    And it's never what you expect (which I think is what many survivalists forget).

Default Doomday Preppers TV Series tonight @ 9PM EST - Headsup

This may have already been posted somewhere and not even sure whether this is the proper forum for this,,,,,I'm not even sure if this is proper period but,,,,

Just scrolling through the TV Menu and noticed Doomsday Preppers Documentary/Series airing at 9PM EST/8PM CST National Geo Channel

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...sday-preppers/

I promise that I am in no way affiliated with National Geographics.

Edit:
    Doomsday
    Last edited by jerry; 02-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Originally Posted by LowKey
    I doubt they said exactly that TresMon. No smart casting director or producer is going to tip their hand like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Your free to doubt.
    Over the years while living and working in Los Angeles, and "the Business," I've known quite a few casting directors and producers. I've no doubt at all that some are that open about whom they want to cast.

These "reality" shows are all about conflict, extremes, and then some final resolution for whomever the producers have selected to "win." Therefore they are looking for people who will offer the most opportunity for an "entertaining" show. Someone -- the actor -- who is very informed and familiar with whatever is the show's premise, is not what they want. No real conflict as that person just does what's necessary and not much happens on screen.

It's not called "show business" for nuthin', folks.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 02-08-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Watched my first episode last night that included Megan Hurwitt, The Young Urban Prepper I was surprised that she was storing over 160 condums. I didn't think she could carry that much water. :-)
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Watched my first episode last night that included Megan Hurwitt, The Young Urban Prepper I was surprised that she was storing over 160 condums. I didn't think she could carry that much water. :-)
    LOL, I just watch that one last night......a very friendly young lady no doubt....
    It was kinda interesting being critiqued by "experts'....then she just joined the military.

I did find it kinda intresting in a late nite 3 beers kinda way.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27