Thread: Can't remember the name of a documentary I watched once

Default Can't remember the name of a documentary I watched once

I once watched a documentary on PBS [I think] about a man whom in the 50's moved him self out of civilization and took only some plastic for his roof of the home he would build and some tin to make him self frying pans, tooks and a water carrying device.

He ended up staying out there for 30+ years into his eighties.

I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the documentary. It was something like "Into the wild" but of course, that isn't it.

If anyone has any ideas , please help me out

Thanks eh

It sounds like the Dick Proenneke story. I believe it was called alone in the wilderness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steelnwool View Post
    I once watched a documentary on PBS [I think] about a man whom in the 50's moved him self out of civilization and took only some plastic for his roof of the home he would build and some tin to make him self frying pans, tooks and a water carrying device.

I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the documentary. It was something like "Into the wild" but of course, that isn't it.

Thanks eh
    Maybe this will jog your memory > http://www.pbs.org/search/search_programsaz.html
    Or this > http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...%20documentary
    How about you visit the Introductions section and tell us a bit more about yourself
    Last edited by Justin Case; 08-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Book is titled: "One Mans Wilderness"

I have a similar problem trying to find a documentary I cannot remember the name of. I think it had the word soil in the title. Its is an old black and white short film. A man blames all the worlds problems on poor soil and goes into a poor, war ravaged South American town. He has no political agenda and preaches nothing. He simply begins by first contouring his rows to prevent soil erosion and develops his soil. His nieghbors see his successful crop and in conversation shares his advise as a good neighbor. Their crops begin to do well. Then he gets 4 types of animals that are the easiest and most productive (I wish I could remeber what they were). He builds a house from adobe for about 80 dollars and furnishs it with macrame furniture he makes for 12 dollars. All the while showing his ways to his neighbors who immitate his ways. By the end of the show the whole town is happy and having a feast in celebration.

Has any body else seen this film and know the name of it or where I can find it?

Quote Originally Posted by steelnwool View Post

Thanks eh
    Thank you so much for asking this question and thank you to those who posted the answers. I was searching for this documentary for years. I made this account just so that I could express my gratitude.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    It sounds like the Dick Proenneke story. I believe it was called alone in the wilderness.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Maybe this will jog your memory > http://www.pbs.org/search/search_programsaz.html
    Or this > http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...%20documentary
    How about you visit the Introductions section and tell us a bit more about yourself

Thank you so much my friend!

Awhile back video made a profound impact on me as well. I watched all for Bob Swerer videos on Dick Proenneke and came to the conclusion that they made me excited, happy and sad all at once. Excited because what he was doing was something that I had never seen before, happy because it was a breath of fresh air especially since I found myself wrapped up so much in the modern world, so it was nice to go back to a simpler time, and lastly sad because the incredible work ethic and simple principles that guided Dick Proenneke's life seem like they are being wiped away from society by the majority of MY generation that for some reason feels entitled to having everything given to them instantly. Sorry to ramble on but it's just my .02 regarding the matter. RIP Dick