Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibotics From the Feed Store

Default Antibotics From the Feed Store

I was just wondering if anyone had bought antibotics from the local feed store to have on hand in case of an emergency. I read an article on how you could use the same antibotics as people use on their animals for a lot less than you could purchase from a local pharmacy. Was curious if anyone had done this and if so how it had worked out. Thank you for your input.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nell will know if anyone will, There is antibiotics in the chick feed, for my gosling's. I have never seen antibiotics in the feed store for sale here, the vet will write a prescription.

My cousin was a farier (Blacksmith) and he would use vet grade antibiotics all the time with no apparent ill effects.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    My cousin was a farier (Blacksmith) and he would use vet grade antibiotics all the time with no apparent ill effects.
    Of course, to make change from anything bigger than a one he'd have to tuck his head in and stomp one foot on the ground. But, really, that was a beneficial side-effect. 'least now he can count.

Cool

i know of one person that uses fish antibiotics without any side effects i would use in an emergency.
    mind you his swimming has improved a lot !
    and i also have used human antibiotics on animals in much smaller doses

We had a similar thread on this a while back. I asked Adventure Doc the same question and his response was stay away from them. You can look up Med.s ??? Penicillin ?? if you wish but that's all he had to say on it.

I wouldn't use it unless it was the only option available. Some of anything is better than a whole lot of nothing I guess. I have no idea if it's the same chemical, the same purity, etc. etc. Horse and fish (and most animals) physiology is much different than human so you have no idea whether the med is having any affect until you either get sicker or better. Not a risk I'd be willing to take on a day to day basis.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You can buy antibiotics at the feed store for much less than by RX,I have never used them on myself,or the family,but it is penicillin,so I would think that it would be safe for those who are not allergic to that type of antibiotic in a pinch,anything other than penicillin in my area is RX only.

Hope,we sell the medicated chick starter as well,but are instructed to NOT give that to the water fowl babies because of the medication,and to deter customers from purchasing it for the ducks and goslings as well,to get that point across,the company will replace baby birds lost within the first week of purchase,but only if they have purchased the "corrrect" feed for the type they bought....chick sarter for the chickens,and game bird starter (it's unmedicated) for the ducks,goslings,turkeys,etc.

The turkey babies are $6.79 each,and goslings are $12.89 so it's not difficult to get them the to purchase the more expensive feed...
    Last edited by nell67; 04-30-2009 at 07:31 AM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Just an add on to my previous post. You can't just take penicillin and clear up what ever infection you might have.

First, viruses and fungi don't respond to antibiotics. Antibiotics only work on bacteria and are either bactericidal, meaning they kill the bacteria or bacteriostatic, meaning they stop the bacteria from mutiplying.

Second, the antibiotic has to be targeted for the specific infection. Some antibiotics are ineffective against certain bacteria. Some antibiotics work on aerobic bacteria while others work on anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that need oxygen and those that don't).

You can certainly use a broad spectrum antibiotic in hopes that it will stop the bacteria or slow it down enough so your body can finish off the job. However, you also stand the risk of the bacteria becoming resistant to the antibiotic leaving you in worse shape than when you started.

And remember that most upper respiratory infections and the common cold are caused by viruses so antibiotics are not appropriate to treat those illnesses. Overuse is as bad as misuse when it comes to antibiotics.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ....and fish (and most animals) physiology is much different than human so you have no idea whether the med is having any affect .....
    Or the wrong effect........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Nell will know if anyone will, There is antibiotics in the chick feed, for my gosling's. I have never seen antibiotics in the feed store for sale here, the vet will write a prescription.
    most of those antibiotics for animals you can get at the feed store,over the counter, you just have to ask.(knowing what you need helps). i havent used them on me,but the topical antifungal salves i have used they work on man and beast. internal medicaments, i would be very careful about useing, dont forget those 21 horses that died after taking an alternet med that was supposed to do the same job.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Absolutely Rick,there are many different types of human antibiotics,penicillin types being one,but they do not kill every bacteria out there,so taking what you can buy at Orschelns or Tractor Supply may put you at greater risk than spending the $$$ to get the blood work done to find the right meds you need.

Bacteria mutate just like viruses,so what worked for you before,may not work the next time,and using your animals meds could end up hurting you.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

One thing I have seen where I work,is elderly people come in and buy pain relieving ointments for their joint pains, most are labled for animal use only as well.I do believe they may be one step away from using the antibiotics we carry if they think they need them.If they come in asking for penicillin,I would have to ask their intended use for it.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

the feed store that i go to wants to know who you are also, they dont like passing out antibiotics to non- regular customers. they usualy ask for more information. and they may even call your vet.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.

Unfortunately,that is not a requirement here,anyone can walk in and purchase it.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

there was a guy in orlando area that was using Spotton to treat a skin condition on his kids! you gotta watch em!
    The Mountain Breaks you.

I get animal meds at the feed store to avoid paying vet's prices. I'd use the antibiotics on myself or one of my family, with all the precautions listed above duly noted, if it were a real true TEOTWAWKI situation or I had no other choice. I mean, if it's death or questionable meds that may cure you or result in death, I think I'm gonna give it a shot. That is ONLY if I can't find a non-looted pharmacy or a doctor that can lay hands on the right meds. While I would prefer to go about it the right way, there are always going to be situations that call for extreme measures. That being said, I wouldn't stock them unless I was using them on my animals. Otherwise it's a waste of money since they do expire. You'd be better off learning to make your own penicillin and how to dose it.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

eat moldy bread or a moldy orange skin, those molds are pennicillus strains. orange mold will ferment the juice, indian hooch.yum.
    The Mountain Breaks you.

Thanks everyone for your feed back. It is greatly appreciated.

While many of the meds at the feed stores are made in the same factories as meds that are made for humans they may not be as effective. As Rick already said, one antibiotic doesn't cure everything. At my local feed store about the only antibiotic they carry is pennicillin, it is about worthless for human use anymore. It doesn't really treat any infection that affects humans. The only thing we still give it for is dental abcesses and STD's.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    only thing we still give it for is dental abcesses and STD's.
    Well, ok, so it definitely has it's uses. Get shot up with horse penicillin or die of syphillis or live with the clap....hmm...Guess which one I'm gonna do?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.