Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Question

Default Survival Question

What 10 items are in your wilderness survival kit.. The items may very based on location and time of year. It will be interesting to see what folks carry.

I have a first aid kit, a fire kit, water filter with bottle, an extra set of clothes, a tarp, 100ft of cord, a .22 pistol with 100rds of ammo, a small fishing kit, wading boots, 24hrs of food, a knife and a small tool kit. I know that is 12 instead of ten, but that is what I have in a pack I keep in my car year around.

I add more gear for each season. Such as bug spray and sun screen in the summer, sleeping bag and overalls in the winter type of stuff.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I have a first aid kit, a fire kit, water filter with bottle, an extra set of clothes, a tarp, 100ft of cord, a .22 pistol with 100rds of ammo, a small fishing kit, wading boots, 24hrs of food, a knife and a small tool kit. I know that is 12 instead of ten, but that is what I have in a pack I keep in my car year around.

I add more gear for each season. Such as bug spray and sun screen in the summer, sleeping bag and overalls in the winter type of stuff.
    What's that pack weigh in at?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Summer or winter the very first thing I pack is a sleeping bag (In the winter two bags). For me only, I am convinced that a sleeping bag is the single most critical tool for "MY" survival. Next would be Go-lite tent, 1'st aid kit, PLB, spare socks, motorcycle full rain suit, gloves, rope, 6 mill visqueen, nibbles.

My survival bag gets reconfigured almost daily in the summer. My survival needs are what most people would consider a three day backpack pack.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

There are several areas, each one has a few things like a knife also incudes a sheath, a means of sharpening it

so
    1. Fire
    2. Knife / axe / cutting tools (think nessmuk trilogy of some kind)
    3. Cordage / bailing wire / small fasteners like nails , snare locks etc.
    4. shelter (clothing, foot wear, head gear, dew rag, hammock blanket or sleeping bag, shelter half or tarp or tent)
    5. First aid (mirror, wounds, sickness, ointments , pills, special needs for current health like stroke meds)
    6. Cooking (include any food and means to carry it and foraged stuff) (water bottle , billy can, spoon, canteen cup, maybe metal pan / plate)
    7. Repair kit (include a vise grip needle nose plyers or perhaps a multi tool if i owned a multitool.)
    8. Security (firearm ammo holster cleaning kit ammo , usually a hand gun and a rifle)
    9. Commo, (anything from a pad and pencil throught cell phone or ham radio and even perhaps flare gun)
    10 Personal hygine (soap, toothpaste n brush, comb, towel,)
    and bonus round

11. fun stuff / comfort items. (camera, binoculars, pipe n smoking blend, flask of adult beverage, book , etc, what ever I may want to play with that drew me to the woods in the first place for that time. Omit if it is bug out of course.) Usually have at least a pocket Bible with me.

Depending on situation details, i would say my pack runs between 15 and 30 lbs. Much being the firearms the rifle and pistol actually being on belt / sling but still. Leave them out and id say 8 - 16 pounds of gear.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 04-16-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Summer or winter the very first thing I pack is a sleeping bag (In the winter two bags). For me only, I am convinced that a sleeping bag is the single most critical tool for "MY" survival. Next would be Go-lite tent, 1'st aid kit, PLB, spare socks, motorcycle full rain suit, gloves, rope, 6 mill visqueen, nibbles.

My survival bag gets reconfigured almost daily in the summer. My survival needs are what most people would consider a three day backpack pack.
    I see your living in Alaska a warm sleeping bag would come in really handy. I grew up in Northern Maine those winters were a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    There are several areas, each one has a few things like a knife also incudes a sheath, a means of sharpening it

so
    1. Fire
    2. Knife / axe / cutting tools (think nessmuk trilogy of some kind)
    3. Cordage / bailing wire / small fasteners like nails , snare locks etc.
    4. shelter (clothing, foot wear, head gear, dew rag, hammock blanket or sleeping bag, shelter half or tarp or tent)
    5. First aid (mirror, wounds, sickness, ointments , pills, special needs for current health like stroke meds)
    6. Cooking (include any food and means to carry it and foraged stuff) (water bottle , billy can, spoon, canteen cup, maybe metal pan / plate)
    7. Repair kit (include a vise grip needle nose plyers or perhaps a multi tool if i owned a multitool.)
    8. Security (firearm ammo holster cleaning kit ammo , usually a hand gun and a rifle)
    9. Commo, (anything from a pad and pencil throught cell phone or ham radio and even perhaps flare gun)
    10 Personal hygine (soap, toothpaste n brush, comb, towel,)
    and bonus round

11. fun stuff / comfort items. (camera, binoculars, pipe n smoking blend, flask of adult beverage, book , etc, what ever I may want to play with that drew me to the woods in the first place for that time. Omit if it is bug out of course.) Usually have at least a pocket Bible with me.

Depending on situation details, i would say my pack runs between 15 and 30 lbs. Much being the firearms the rifle and pistol actually being on belt / sling but still. Leave them out and id say 8 - 16 pounds of gear.
    Good Stuff.

If anyone has any photos of their kits lets see them I love this stuff.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Sweet way to show your photo.

I've posted it before. That's my last chance kit.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't have a survival kit. I just carry what I think I will use.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    What's that pack weigh in at?
    It is around 25-35lbs, depending on season. I keep it a a military canvas bag with adjustable straps. Right now it weighs 27lbs.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I don't really have a survival kit either, I like my blanket roll and possible bag setup for the simplicity that I only take what I need. I have an alice pack but the couple times I have used it I load it with so much carp that it weighs 4 times what my minimalist setup weighs and most of it is stuff I hardly use while out.

My blanket roll holds:

50-40 wool blanket
    Canvas military shelter half
    Food
    Flashlight
    Cast iron skillet (ya it weighs more, but I like to have it)
    Cordage
    Spare clothes
    First aid kit
    Ridgeline
    Tomahawk

Possibles Bag (which is a surplus gas mask bag):

Fire kit
    Fishing kit
    Water bottle
    Canteen cup
    Eating utensils
    Ammo (if I have a gun with me)

A few things I plan on adding to my kit:

Oilcloth ground cloth
    Billy can

Then I have on my belt knife and a mora rigged up as a neck knife

It's a few more than 10 pieces, but that is what I use and I use everything in the kit while out.
    Last edited by Sparky93; 04-16-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

My backpack weighs around 35-40 pounds not including the sleeping bag, but has a lot more than 10 things in it. So what are the most important 10 things would have been a better question. My backpack is pretty much the standard 72 hour setup.

1. 10x12 nylon reinforced cammo tarp.
    2. Small stainless steel hatchet
    3. Small 4" teflon frying pan
    4. Fire steel
    5. Small wetstone for sharpening
    6. Gerber folding knife
    7. 100 ft of paracord
    8. First aid kit ( homemade in a ziplock baggy )
    9. Water purifier, purifier tablets, and a small vial of bleach.
    10. Small roll of toilet paper
    11. Wet wipes
    12. Small container of waterless soap
    13. 1 poud of beef jerky
    14. Granola bars
    15. Compass
    16. Signalling mirror
    17. 2 ea Small bic lighters
    18. Container of char cloth and cotton balls
    19. 2, 9 hr candels
    20. LED headband flashlight, and standard LED flashlight
    21. Ruger single six .22 revovler with 100 rounds of ammo.
    22. 6 aluminum tent steaks
    23. Folding saw
    24. Dehydrated noodle soup in mylar bags, 4 bags, 2 bags of tuna in mylar.
    25. Instant coffee
    26. Large stainless steel cup
    27. Tweezers
    28. Small pair of channelock pliers
    29. Leatherman multi tool
    30. Can of Spam
    31. 4 bags of cashews
    32. Small packets of salt, pepper, and sugar.
    33. 4 packettes of hot chocolate
    34. 4 packettes of apple cinnamon oatmeal
    35. 15 feet of snare wire
    36. Small flask of Vodka
    37. Doo rag
    38. Ice armour gloves
    39. Cheap safety sun glasses ( spare )
    40. Small jar of vaseline ( for raw parts )
    41. Rain poncho
    42. Compact 40 channel portable CB radio, in side pocket
    43. Army type canteen with canteen pot in canvas belt holder
    44. Sleeping bag in dry bag tied to the backpack
    45. Folding fork, spoon, can opener thingamajig
    46. Fluorescent nylon string
    47. Spare socks and underware ( non hong type )
    48. Small tube of insect repellant
    49. 1 pack of small cigars
    50. I plug of Days Work chewing tobacco in sealed mylar bag.
    51. Fishing kit

This is probably too much stuff but I can carry it all day so I guess I haven't overloaded my bag!!

I also have a large camo duffel bag that has spare clothes, more food, bottled water, full Frog Tog rainsuit, and a few more items but I only take that for camping trips and would not be used for a survival situation or bug out due to weight. My carry knife is a fixed blade Buck Woodsman 4" blade with belt sheath.

Oh, dang guys. That blanket roll/backpack just rolled down the hill and into the river. Oh, dang guys. that blanket roll/backpack just fell out of the boat. Oh, dang guys. That bear just ran off with your blanket roll/backpack. Now....

Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gone do till SAR comes after you? Dead boys, dead boys.

Oh snap, my survival kit was in the backpack that just rolled down the hill into the river. Oh snap! my survival kit was inside the pack that just fell out of the boat.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I don't have a survival kit. I just carry what I think I will use.
    +1 on that. I have a belt pouch. It has compass, SAK, metal match, lighter, tinder, hootch cord, survival blanket, first aid, Tic Tacs, stock cubes,& Epirb. On the otherside of my belt, i have a 1 litre army canteen metal cup. This is not a survival kit, it is just part of my gear. My problem with survival kits, is people tend to not use them, till the sh*t hits the fan, or even worse leave them at home, because they are going to the same place they have been to 100 times before.

Pockets, pockets pockets....did everyone forget about pockets?????
    Yeah, easy to leave your bag at home....... but pockets?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Some great info exchanged here!