Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plenty of Practice: Cowboy Action Shooting

Default Plenty of Practice: Cowboy Action Shooting

Folks,

As many of you know, my first-love of shooting sports is the general category of Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS). When I do it, or course, its more like Indian Action Shooting where the slogan is "My heroes have always killed cowboys."

I mention this because, should CAS events be available in your general area, it is a great way to improve your ability to shoot rapidly and accurately under stress. CAS stages are shot "on the clock." Once the buzzer goes off, you may be surprised at how much stress there really is. Besides, its a whale of a lot of fun.

The Annual Match of one of my clubs, the Deadwood Drifters, is always patterned after the Clint Eastwood movie High Plains Drifter -- so much so that it is always named The Gates of Hell (from a notable quote in the movie).

I am not holding myself up to be really good, you understand, but here is a video of me shooting a stage in the 2009 Annual Gates of Hell match. This is the so-called "Bathtub Scene" where an enraged town resident attempts to shoot Eastwood while he's taking a bath. My overall performance was good enough that I won my category -- Senior Duelist. Note the slight bobble as I'm transitioning between the pistols, and the hesitation with the shotgun when I realize my attempt to cock one of the two hammers wasn't successful. Even with these errors, the overall performance wasn't bad.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater

Don't do face book so couldn't watch....
    I do like the novelty shoots at rendezvous though......... two shots at a "running deer" from "horse back" ( spring loaded 55 gal drum with saddle) and having to reload the M-L...Priceless
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dang! It happened AGAIN! Was trying to post a link that all could view.

[Heading back to the drawing board...]

LATER NOTE:

Cannot seem to bring the video forward into the "real" world. Suffice it to say that I successfully hit ten pistol targets (using two converted 1858 Remington New Model Army pistols), ten rifle targets (using a Winchester Model 1866 lever-action rifle), and four shotgun targets (using a double-barreled, external-hammer 1876 Colt Express shotgun) in 34 seconds.

Not bad for an old guy, eh?
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-05-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Update

Yeah, yeah. It's the old I shot the eyes out of it but can't post the video for some reason excuse.

Run along folks. Nothin' here to see........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, yeah. It's the old I shot the eyes out of it but can't post the video for some reason excuse.

Run along folks. Nothin' here to see........

Is your lineage "Creek" Indian?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Is CAS the same thing as SASS?

I saw it, you shoot well.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Young folks to the rescue of y'all non-facebookers, cool video DN. Hope you don't mind me plopping it on here for others to see....

I'd like to see some pics of that lever action you are using, I like the "trade gun" kind of decoration on it...

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Whippersnappers. Always tryin' to outsmart us old folks. Ain't never gonna happen. The video doesn't work there, Mr. Facebook. (yawn) I need another nap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice shooting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Young folks to the rescue of y'all non-facebookers, cool video DN. Hope you don't mind me plopping it on here for others to see....

I'd like to see some pics of that lever action you are using, I like the "trade gun" kind of decoration on it...

Y'all,,,,,,, all the fancy face-box stuff don't work on my interweb....anyway I believe ya DN........( Just woke up from my nap, not all here yet.....)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Is your lineage "Creek" Indian?
    Choctaw, actually. So is "Daniel," and after losing his entire family in the Civil War, he gradually migrated westward. He spent some time among the Kiowa, and later the Jicarilla Apache.

I couldn't see it either

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Gladly. It's a bit windy here right now (Dorothy's house just flew past). Once it settles down a bit, I'll head out into the back yard and snap a few of my CAS "arsenal".

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Choctaw, actually. So is "Daniel," and after losing his entire family in the Civil War, he gradually migrated westward. He spent some time among the Kiowa, and later the Jicarilla Apache.
    Just curious, I have "Creek" Heritage. That is "Red Eagle" - William Weatherford III in my advatar, he is a distant Grandfather. I'll see what I can find on "Daniel" to read. I enjoy the history.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by jake abraham View Post
    I couldn't see it either
    Sorry about that. Summary -- I hit ten pistol targets using two Remington New Model Army single-action pistols (one pistol at a time), ten rifle targets using an 1866 Winchester carbine, and four shotgun targets using an 1878 Colt coach shotgun (double-barreled with external hammers) that I had to load twice, in less than 34 seconds. That includes the time it took to move between them.

I'm not saying I'm all that great -- far from it, in fact. I'm just saying that if you want lots of practice, and lots of fun doing it, Cowboy Action Shooting should most definitely be a consideration.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-08-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Just curious, I have "Creek" Heritage. That is "Red Eagle" - William Weatherford III in my advatar, he is a distant Grandfather. I'll see what I can find on "Daniel" to read. I enjoy the history.
    Yup, thought as much. The Muskogee (our name for them) are a fine and proud people.

You won't find much on Daniel, other than what I've written. He is purely a fictional character. With that said, though, you might enjoy looking up and reading about the Trans-Mississippi Confederacy and the role played by the Five Civilized Tribes. A good place to start might be with Stand Watie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Watie

Though most people don't know it, the "big" Civil War brought about another, and rather bloody, civil war in the Indian Nations (modern-day Oklahoma). This is what cost Daniel his entire family, and this is why he broke completely away from the Choctaw Nation at war's-end. His actual name was Daniel Ferguson (his father was a Scotsman who emigrated to the New World half-a-step ahead of the hangman). Daniel was given the name "Nighteyes" by the Second Cherokee Artillery during the War, and adopted it as his alias when he severed his ties with the Choctaw.

But that's more than any of you wanted to know...

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-06-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quite a few of the guys on my pistol team also do CAS. I've watched a few times but don't have the money to get the gear. Or the guns. Steel plate games are also fun. Not just the knock em down plates. Some of these spin or bounce or are weighted to drop behind cover. I've done a few with a .45 but need to start reloading to do any more. Those kinds of games make reloading a necessity.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-06-2012 at 08:41 PM.