Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Membership Equipment

Default Membership Equipment

The WSF members equipment poll results. First, I want to thank you for your participation. I know I have learned from you and I’m sure other folks will too. This will hopefully be a tool for those wanting to know which piece of gear they should consider. This may help someone with their time and resources instead of the trial and error method. They can also look up the polls and see who posted on the particular piece of equipment and perhaps pm you with questions.

The following topics have been numbered from highest to lowest by the number of members who chose the same equipment.

Survival Manual: 1. Army Survival Guide.
    2. Outdoor Survival Skills and SAS Manual.

Shelter: 1. Tent (Marmot Twilight 2p or undisclosed).
    2. Tarp or Poncho.
    3. Bivy bag.
    4. Hammock (Hennessy Explorer Deluxe).

Fire starting: 1. Fire Steel (Blast match, Strike force, Swedish).
    2. Lighter (BIC).
    3. Matches.
    4. Flint and Steel.
    5. Torch sparker and Doan tool.

Water treatment: 1. Chemical (Katadyn, Chlorine tabs, Clorox bleach). It was
    the common back-up method, that’s why it was #1.
    2. Katadyn (Combi, Hiker).
    3. MSR (Miniworks, Sweetwater).
    4. Homemade.

First Aid: 1. Home made kits.
    2. Commercial base (Gov. Surplus, Johnsons & Johnsons, Wilderness Adventure).

Signaling: 1. Whistle.
    2. Cell phone and mirror.
    3. Flash light.
    4. Radio
    5. Light stick and Fire.
    6. Weapon
    7. Flare and Lighter.

Cutting tools: 1. Hatchet (Estwing Sportsman, Sears Craftsman) and
    Machete (Ontario, Corneta).
    2. Saw (Gerber). Tomahawk (Allen Foundry “Frontier”,
    Cold Steel “Trail Hawk”). Chainsaw ( Husquavarna,
    Stihl).
    3. Shovel (Spetznaz).

Fixed Knife: 1. Mora (780).
    2. Kabar (USMC).
    3. Home made, RAT (SERE, Izula, RC3), Buck (Nighthawk).
    4. Camillus (Pilot Survival).
    5. Tops (Tom Brown Tracker), Kershaw (Outcast), Benchmade (Bushmaster), Ranger (Rd7), Spyderco (Forager), Cold Steel (SRK, Master Hunter, Mini Pendelton Hunter), Becker Necker (bkII), Bark Rivers (Bravo 1), Livesay’s ( Air Assault).

Folding Knife: 1. Victorinox (Farmer, Recruit, Fieldmaster, Soldier).
    2. Buck (110/ Folding Hunter, Buck Lite), CRKT (M-21, Crawford Falcon, M-16-13M)
    3. Spyderco, Katana, Kershaw (Black Horse II, Blur),
    4. Emerson (CQC7), Imperial, Ontario (Jump Master), Byrd (Cara Cara), Katana Strider (SnG), SOG (Twitch).

Multi-tool: 1. Leatherman (Wave, PST, Charge Ti, Original).
    2. Gerber (T3, MPT).
    3. Winchester and Victorinox.

Navigation: 1. Compass ( Silva 515CL , 515CLQ and A-10, Recta DP2,
    Gov. Surplus Lensatic).
    2. Back-up type compasses (pin-on and button).
    3. GPS (Garmin 12 and E-trex, Lowrance).

Firearms:
    Handguns: 1. Ruger Single Six.
    2. 357 (Redhawk, Taurus, undisclosed).
    3. Walther P-22, Glock (.40 , undisclosed),
    4. Ruger MKIII, H & R M-929, Beretta Cougar 45, X-40, Ruger black powder (.44), Ruger (SR-9), Bersa (.380).

Shotgun: 1. Mossy 500. Remington 870 12 and 20 Ga.
    2. Winchester Defender and 1300.
    3. Remington 1100, H & R Single (12 Ga.), Savage M24C (.22LR / 20 Ga.), Ithaca 37, Valmet 412 (12/70).

Rifle: 1. Ruger 10-22, AR-15 (5.56 / 6.5 Grendel).
    2. Marlin 336 ( 30-30), Ruger ( M77), Remington 700 (30-06), Ruger(Mini-14 and 30), AK.
    3. Winchester Mdl 70 (270), Remington 700 ( 308), Springfield M6 (.22LR / .410 Ga.), Savage M24C (.22LR / 20 Ga.), Highpoint 995 (9 mm), Blackpowder Plains rifle (.54), Weatherby (30-06), Saiga (.223), Sako (.308), Glenfield 18, .22hw80k, Remington 742 (30-06).
    Last edited by rebel; 10-20-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Good Effort Rebel,

One thing though with statistics be aware that the amount of data is very important, I think a few would change with more data. Even given the relatively small sample size I think you got the right info on alot of these.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Example: I can't beleive boiling is not #1 on water purification?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Due to the variables and different scenarios it's not a perfect list. Folks will have to use their common sense as to what they use and when they use it.

I thought it might help the new person in putting together some equipment. For example, if I were new to survival I might start with a manual and from looking at this list I would probably go with the Army survival manual. For fire starting I would want a fire steel, lighter and matches. For water treatment: A Katadyn or MSR with chemical back-up. Boiling may be an option.

I hope that helps to clarify the reasoning.

i would love to say i can't believe it either cowboy, but i assume there is concern about needing water sooner than one might make fire.

on another note: why carry water tablets, when doxycycline tablets are the same size. jk.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Example: I can't beleive boiling is not #1 on water purification?
    Me either!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Due to the variables and different scenarios it's not a perfect list. Folks will have to use their common sense as to what they use and when they use it.

I thought it might help the new person in putting together some equipment. For example, if I were new to survival I might start with a manual and from looking at this list I would probably go with the Army survival manual. For fire starting I would want a fire steel, lighter and matches. For water treatment: A Katadyn or MSR with chemical back-up. Boiling may be an option.

I hope that helps to clarify the reasoning.
    Noteworthy effort, Rebel. I think the most benefit derived is to get people thinking all-the-more about stuff.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Boiling... it's not considered equipment. I will delete it.

Default Thank you for the work.

Thanks Rebel, I am sure the list will help some one out. And you have sparked a non political topic for a change.
    -Sam

How is it possible that Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth by Bear Grylls did not rank higher on the survival manual's list?

Such an oversight calls the entire excercise's validity into question!!! ;-)
    Last edited by lucznik; 10-20-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    How is it possible that Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth by Bear Grylls did not rank higher on the survival manual's list?

Such an oversight calls the entire excercise's validity into question!!! ;-)
    He hasn't done the poll yet on comedy manuals.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash is a Baaaaad Man!!!!!!!!! OK, you beat me to it.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

Really good effort. Though I cant believe Mora was 1. of the fixed blades...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

NCO you might as well accept it. A LOT of people actually like those little knives!! I've been in your shoes before though, Something I thought everyone else was crazy for liking,when I couldn't stand it!!

Banned

The WSF members equipment poll results. First, I want to thank you for your participation. I know I have learned from you and I’m sure other folks will too. This will hopefully be a tool for those wanting to know which piece of gear they should consider. This may help someone with their time and resources instead of the trial and error method. They can also look up the polls and see who posted on the particular piece of equipment and perhaps pm you with questions.

The following topics have been numbered from highest to lowest by the number of members who chose the same equipment.

Survival Manual: 1. Army Survival Guide.
    2. Outdoor Survival Skills and SAS Manual.

Shelter: 1. Tent (Marmot Twilight 2p or undisclosed).
    2. Tarp or Poncho.
    3. Bivy bag.
    4. Hammock (Hennessy Explorer Deluxe).

Fire starting: 1. Fire Steel (Blast match, Strike force, Swedish).
    2. Lighter (BIC).
    3. Matches.
    4. Flint and Steel.
    5. Torch sparker and Doan tool.

Water treatment: 1. Chemical (Katadyn, Chlorine tabs, Clorox bleach). It was
    the common back-up method, that’s why it was #1.
    2. Katadyn (Combi, Hiker).
    3. MSR (Miniworks, Sweetwater).
    4. Homemade.

First Aid: 1. Home made kits.
    2. Commercial base (Gov. Surplus, Johnsons & Johnsons, Wilderness Adventure).

Signaling: 1. Whistle.
    2. Cell phone and mirror.
    3. Flash light.
    4. Radio
    5. Light stick and Fire.
    6. Weapon
    7. Flare and Lighter.

Cutting tools: 1. Hatchet (Estwing Sportsman, Sears Craftsman) and
    Machete (Ontario, Corneta).
    2. Saw (Gerber). Tomahawk (Allen Foundry “Frontier”,
    Cold Steel “Trail Hawk”). Chainsaw ( Husquavarna,
    Stihl).
    3. Shovel (Spetznaz).

Fixed Knife: 1. Mora (780).
    2. Kabar (USMC).
    3. Home made, RAT (SERE, Izula, RC3), Buck (Nighthawk).
    4. Camillus (Pilot Survival).
    5. Tops (Tom Brown Tracker), Kershaw (Outcast), Benchmade (Bushmaster), Ranger (Rd7), Spyderco (Forager), Cold Steel (SRK, Master Hunter, Mini Pendelton Hunter), Becker Necker (bkII), Bark Rivers (Bravo 1), Livesay’s ( Air Assault).

Folding Knife: 1. Victorinox (Farmer, Recruit, Fieldmaster, Soldier).
    2. Buck (110/ Folding Hunter, Buck Lite), CRKT (M-21, Crawford Falcon, M-16-13M)
    3. Spyderco, Katana, Kershaw (Black Horse II, Blur),
    4. Emerson (CQC7), Imperial, Ontario (Jump Master), Byrd (Cara Cara), Katana Strider (SnG), SOG (Twitch).

Multi-tool: 1. Leatherman (Wave, PST, Charge Ti, Original).
    2. Gerber (T3, MPT).
    3. Winchester and Victorinox.

Navigation: 1. Compass ( Silva 515CL , 515CLQ and A-10, Recta DP2,
    Gov. Surplus Lensatic).
    2. Back-up type compasses (pin-on and button).
    3. GPS (Garmin 12 and E-trex, Lowrance).

Firearms:
    Handguns: 1. Ruger Single Six.
    2. 357 (Redhawk, Taurus, undisclosed).
    3. Walther P-22, Glock (.40 , undisclosed),
    4. Ruger MKIII, H & R M-929, Beretta Cougar 45, X-40, Ruger black powder (.44), Ruger (SR-9), Bersa (.380).

Shotgun: 1. Mossy 500. Remington 870 12 and 20 Ga.
    2. Winchester Defender and 1300.
    3. Remington 1100, H & R Single (12 Ga.), Savage M24C (.22LR / 20 Ga.), Ithaca 37, Valmet 412 (12/70).

Rifle: 1. Ruger 10-22, AR-15 (5.56 / 6.5 Grendel).
    2. Marlin 336 ( 30-30), Ruger ( M77), Remington 700 (30-06), Ruger(Mini-14 and 30), AK.
    3. Winchester Mdl 70 (270), Remington 700 ( 308), Springfield M6 (.22LR / .410 Ga.), Savage M24C (.22LR / 20 Ga.), Highpoint 995 (9 mm), Blackpowder Plains rifle (.54), Weatherby (30-06), Saiga (.223), Sako (.308), Glenfield 18, .22hw80k, Remington 742 (30-06).
    I know, I know, This is an older thread but I just wanted to Thank Rebel for the work he went to here ,, Thanks Reb !

Thanks, I'm just now seeing it.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Rebel - First, some rep for taking the time to conduct the poll and provide the summation. Great job!!!! Second, I made this a sticky so folks can readily find it.

Third,

Quote Originally Posted by NCO
    I cant believe Mora was 1. of the fixed blades...
    Muhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Come over to the dark side, Luke, I mean...NCO.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We could always do this once a year near, the end of the year, to see if anyone has changed their mind or found something new that replaced an item on the list.

Might be too much of a bother, but I thought I would throw that out there.

That's not a bad idea. Models will become obsolete. The Mora 780 for example is no longer made. Who knows, by next year Glock may no longer be made.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This may help someone with their time and resources instead of the trial and error method.
    Not even close. I suggest you try things out for yourself because a good percentage of internet info and common perception is developed by people with no experience. Don't bet your life on internet info. Trying it out for yourself is the only way to know you can count on it when the time comes and to what extent you can rely on it. I'm still amazed that Native Dude was able to con so many on this forum.