Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A pain in the............

We're pretty lucky here in that regard. The DNR is looking at a change in our deer season and they recently set up an online survey to seek input from a whole host of stakeholders. I think that's a lot better than just making some arbitrary change on their own.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    lol there are woman in AK. more rugged ones then the ones down here. dont be silly if you want a woman who can handle alaska get one that was raised in alaska.
    Most of the women I have know that have lived in AK wept bitter tears when they were forced to leave. Mostly service wives. Most would go back tomorrow. Thought they would hate it and ended up loving the life.

Here in KY I pay $40 for small game/fishing and big game. That includes deer/bear/boar and turkey. Extra doe tags are unlimited and, I think, $2 each. Elk is extra and on lottery.

WE have a $20 WMA use fee if you want to hunt the WMA areas, and there are a lot of them. Some of the best hunting in the nation is on KY WMA areas. I have 2,000 acres of WMA within sight of my house with full metalic sillouette, bench rest, skeet and trap ranges.

We have a saying here about Alaskan women "BRING YOUR OWN"!!!!
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-01-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries

In Georgia, $55.00 a year for the combo which includes;

Small game
    Big game incl. deer, turkey, and bear
    WMA stamp
    Trout stamp
    Fishing license
    Can hunt both gun and bow, rifle and prim. weapons.

The lady made a mistake and I ended up with a two year license. Ahh...sheot happens.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
    The price of tags arent bad at all here, but the seasons are RIDICULOUSLY short and limited. We only get a couple of weeks for deer season, and month and a half for squirrel and quail, most of the year the only thing you can hunt is rabbit. Rabbit season is unlimited in harvest and season and squirrel has a horribly short season.
    I get much of the meat I eat through the year from hunting (and fishing) season and it would be tough to get a freezer full in such a short amount of time. I dont know much about how your state runs their wildlife program but I am inclined to trust the biologists and so if they think the animals can only handle a short season, I would go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I get much of the meat I eat through the year from hunting (and fishing) season and it would be tough to get a freezer full in such a short amount of time. I dont know much about how your state runs their wildlife program but I am inclined to trust the biologists and so if they think the animals can only handle a short season, I would go along with it.
    Sadly, in California the scientists probably have very little sway over the environmentalists.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Obviously there is no way i could know, but i would think that there is a good chance that our hunting and fishing laws arent fully based off of scientific logic. That is a theory that many people agree with here.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sadly, in California the scientists probably have very little sway over the environmentalists.
    A good example of this is that all forms of recreational trapping are banned. This wasnt because it was hurting populations are causing extreme harm to the environment, but simply because people were convinced that it was inhumane and voted on a proposition. This wasnt a result of any research by biologists.
    While i cant speak for the WHOLE state, many parts of it have huge problems with deer populations. Mountain lions are disappearing as development is moving into the wild and leaving the deer to over reproduce.

Another crappy thing about my state, although this one is legitimate, you cant fish in like half or more of the rivers in northern ca. Its to protect the salmon.

In SC it is about 30 for the WMA fishin' and huntin' anywhere.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Another crappy thing about my state, although this one is legitimate, you cant fish in like half or more of the rivers in northern ca. Its to protect the salmon.

if the really want to protect the salmon
    they need to remove at least some of the dams

I believe I pay $150.00 every February for my Sportsman license. It covers everything year long. Welcome to TN! When I lived in GA is was much cheaper!
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    if the really want to protect the salmon
    they need to remove at least some of the dams
    Yeah, but then again your removing sources of good, sustainable, and clean energy. Its a hard choice.

Yeah, but then again your removing sources of good, sustainable, and clean energy. Its a hard choice.
    If you believe there's anything clean about hydro-electric power you're deluded. The damage that dams have done to the forests in northern Manitoba (and hence, I'm certain a lot of other places) is unconscionable
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Well, clean compared to coal or atomic I guess. Lot's of valleys are no more, that's for certain.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    If you believe there's anything clean about hydro-electric power you're deluded. The damage that dams have done to the forests in northern Manitoba (and hence, I'm certain a lot of other places) is unconscionable
    yes definately
    people often overlook these types of costs

there are also a ton of diseases spread because of dams

also, they do release greenhouse gases because of all the decomp below water

Obviously there is no way i could know, but i would think that there is a good chance that our hunting and fishing laws arent fully based off of scientific logic. That is a theory that many people agree with here.
    I should have paid more attention to where you are from! I would agree that your wildlife management decisions are probably made for political reasons and not for game management. It's to bad that feeling good gets in the way of doing good...

A ONE TIME COST OF 1600$ haha my dad bought me my IN lifetime Hunting/Fishing when i was 7 and they don't even sell them anymore! it is a great deal for me since it will last until everyone forgets they exist and i have to buy a license again...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmore View Post
    A ONE TIME COST OF 1600$ haha my dad bought me my IN lifetime Hunting/Fishing when i was 7 and they don't even sell them anymore! it is a great deal for me since it will last until everyone forgets they exist and i have to buy a license again...
    wow
    so what does that entail as far as hunting? deer? or all species? what kind of limit?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

every species that isn't stickered and i can shoot 10 deer and that says a lot about the other limits because a buck is 50$ tag and a doe is 50$ and its 1 buck 9 does
    I can fix anything with my 12 Gauge and my big knife

Do you have to have a permit for each one? I don't have the lifetime but I know I have to have a permit per deer and I'm restricted to what the county allotment is.