Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1230

Thread: Survival kits info.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I regret to inform you that: You are going to die............

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I regret to inform you that: You are going to die............
    yup.... he's a goner
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

seriously... not a bad start.... hope you have a lotta knowledge and experience if that is all you carry!

Those "small , light tools" are nice ..... except when they cant get the job done... and in my experience, you mind as well throw away those small bubble compasses...
    and why carry "fishing gloves" if you carry no fishing gear?
    Last edited by NightShade; 09-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

Have you tried your kit out? If not, take it out in the woods. Bring your regular camping stuff, but try and use just your little kit. This way you will know what works for you, and where you are lacking. You'll have all of your camping gear as a fall back in case you need it. Everybody has different skill sets, so what works for me, or somebody else here may not work for you - or visa versa. When you get a chance, drop on by the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Its only a lightweight backpack survival kit for weekends on the forest trails, I am not parachuting into northern wilderness ok lolll dont worry soo much. I bring the whislte as backup del lamp mostly not for the crappy compass dont worry I always bring topo maps of the area before I go. The fishing gloves are half rubber and half nylon for good gripping and hand protection without sweathing + they are so fit no need take them off for anything.
    I've tried almost all these items except the buck 119 which I chose to replace the sog fusion I had before who failed miserably to keep sharp when clearing branches in the boreal forest. I heard the buck119 is good for a lifetime of bushcraft is that true.
    I rarely bring a hatchet because its more effort and I rarely cut wood bigger than my forearm.
    Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by ruffoverlord; 09-19-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Good start.
    So, I didn't notice a drinking/boiling water container/cup?
    Tinder? or char cloth? Pocket full of Bic's?
    Mirror?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Better than nothing.

lol... ok... well if its only for a short hike on a weekend day in the forest... its more then I usually bring! I just look at a few of the items in the picture, and recognize them as items I've already discarded as useless... as a whistle/light.. cool, as long as you realize that is a P.O.S. to rely on as a compass...
    Your Magnesium firestarter is a great tool to have!!! Looks like you haven't used it before tho.. at least not that one... I reccomend trying it out.. It's not too hard, but there is a little knack to it.. better to learn now then when you need it.

I have a metal cup with enamel coating but it goes with the water purification and food rations pack not in this tool kit. I group my stuff in 2 parts; readily accessible and back pack because once im geared up i dont like to take off my back pack all the time. This picture here is whats on my belt ready for access while the rest is in my back pack.
    The magnesium firestarter was use only for the flint stricker, the magnesium is for extreme cases I tested it its a lifesaver when the tinder is damp in the morning.
    Last edited by ruffoverlord; 09-19-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffoverlord View Post
    I have a metal cup with enamel coating but it goes with the water purification and food rations pack not in this tool kit. I group my stuff in 2 parts; readily accessible and back pack because once im geared up i dont like to take off my back pack all the time. This picture here is whats on my belt ready for access while the rest is in my back pack.
    Ahhhh.. see this is info you should have included originaly...
    makes me think of you a little differently.... an intro post woulda helped too.. just sayin..

side note... an easily accessable canteen or camelback or whatever is a good idea! I dont like going into the pack alot either...but hydration is an important aspect of most if not all outdoors activities!

The magnesium firestarter was use only for the flint stricker, the magnesium is for extreme cases I tested it its a lifesaver when the tinder is damp in the morning.
    I have one of those in every pack and vehicle I own... they are great!!
    If you only use it for the flint tho... there are much better products available!
    You can buy just a flint stick from most outdoors stores or even dpartment stores with a sporting section. bigger piece of flint that is easier to strike and will throw more sparks.... I keep a Magnesium as backup and use a flintstick as main firestarter.... total cost is under $15.. Then, of course, there's items like the "blastmatch"... little more $, but if you cant start a fire with this.... then you wont with anything!!
    Last edited by NightShade; 09-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Yes thats true I have a canadian military issued camelback And its Very usefull compared to a bottle and once again allows me to drink without stopping. Good suggestion thanks nightshade!
    I'll do a proper intro soon just thought ill try this forum out a little since i've bought the buck 119 2day for the hunting season and I would like to have you guys opinions about it.
    I thought about the firestick alone but the bigger the heavier it gets and im trying to keep it light and anyway it only needs one spark my friend lolll.
    I'm surprised nobody told me to pack an axe or hatchet...
    Last edited by ruffoverlord; 09-19-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I agree with NightShade, Use it.........Hell abuse it even. Eleven year old girls have nice new stuff, they save for their wedding/marriage/dowry. A "Real Man" uses his stuff, and if it breaks, great a good excuse of a new thingie. The truth is I don't know squat about survival kits. I also just throw some crap in my pocket and go.
    To me the GOING is more important than the "Pretty" survival kit. I think too many people confuse Mental-Masturbating over the perfect survival, with getting there butt out in the wilderness. Oh welcome to the Forum.

Geez... it's only your 4th post.... give it time...

Banned
    Blog Entries

PACK a Axe or Hatchet.................

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Use it.........Hell abuse it even. Eleven year old girls have nice new stuff, they save for their wedding/marriage/dowry. A "Real Man" uses his stuff, and if it breaks, great a good excuse of a new thingie. .
    words to live by... I couldn't agree more!

which I chose to replace the sog fusion I had before who failed miserably to keep sharp when clearing branches in the boreal forest.

Any other suggestions?
    wrong tool for the job.... the Buck will dissapoint you as well if you intend the same use. (use the nice shiny saw!!!)

I thought about the firestick alone but the bigger the heavier it gets and im trying to keep it light and anyway it only needs one spark my friend lolll.
    look into them... they are about the size of the Mgnsm .... just all flint no magnesium... bout the size of a carkey.. fits in your pocket...

Oh... and stop editing your posts and forcing me to requote lol

I've used the saw all summer and its awesome for any wood the size of an arm or less, green or dry its always effective. the pliers i used them mostly to manipulate boiling water container but the del lamp on this this thing is unbelievable for its size and the small wood saw is a nice complement for cutting sticks.

You're right the buck is too small and heavy to use as a machete on the trail but the saw is so much better as its less effort but takes more time yet leaves less of a mess behind. I prefer to conserve energy than gain a little time when clearing branches in the forest.
    I used to have a swiss army knife but after trial and error I think a locking mechanisms is essentials on folding knives. Thats why I switched it for a combo pliers multitool and buck lite knife instead. I threw the swiss knife in the first aid instead.
    Last edited by ruffoverlord; 09-19-2010 at 10:15 PM.