Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of blade to start with?

thankyou very much!

You might want to put that machete and scabbard some place safe. They fetch between $80-$100 U.S. today. Either that or sell it and buy 6 or 7 machetes with the proceeds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

David, I have deliberately avoided this thread until you bought a knife, and I'm glad you chose the Mora. I own two, both with plastic handles and stainless steel blades; I like them both very much. As for a machete, don't use it for chopping wood, they're not made for that. You need an ax for that job. machetes are for clearing brush! Happy trails!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might want to put that machete and scabbard some place safe. They fetch between $80-$100 U.S. today. Either that or sell it and buy 6 or 7 machetes with the proceeds.
    where do they fetch that kind of a price? i've looked on ebay and they seem to be about 20-30 bucks.

I don't know about the Mora; I generally avoid knives that don't have guards, although I do have a Helle Viking.
    viking-new.jpg
    My favorite knife right now is my cold steel recon tanto.
    31H3D9993CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Last edited by Kortoso; 01-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.

The tanto blade doesn't do anything for me. I don't have any chainmail to breach or armor to defeat.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The CS Recon tanto, despite the tanto point, is a proven midsize tool. You wouldn't believe the number of special ops type guys that carry and use them.

Non combat stuff too, Army stuff.

I despise tanto points myself, but I know some serious bushfolk that use that knife. Most aren't even tantos anymore after all the sharpening.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I'm right there with you Winter...but they are very easy to make. Break the blade, no problem. It was already square anyway.

A friend of mine who is just getting into survival just bought an " Amazon Survival Knife ", and it is the biggest ugliest thing I have ever seen, with the survival kit in the handle, and the compass on the end.
    He brought it over last week to show it to me, and I almost broke out laughing when I saw it. He was saying that a good survivor could survive with this knife alone, and my stomach was convulsing trying not to laugh.
    I showed him my little Buck fixed blade, and told him that someday, he would prefer a smaller knife, and that the Amazon would teach him why.
    I am sure the handle will fall off if he ever uses it!

Just getting into survival? What was he into before that - dying?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just getting into survival? What was he into before that - dying?
    He is 50 years old and probably has never as much as been camping, and now is very interested in learning survival skills. Is that better?

Yes.....LOL, (Man some guys are picky, picky, picky)....I never went surviving...on purpose....LOl
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It's not a darned tanto point dagnabit! it's 'american tanto'. It's really nothing like a shinogi-zukuri. carry on.

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kortoso View Post
    I don't know about the Mora; I generally avoid knives that don't have guards, although I do have a Helle Viking.
    In the Scandinavian countries the move from a knife with a guard to one without a guard is one of the rights of passage to adulthood. If your knife has a guard on it you are still considered a kid that has not learned proper knifecraft.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Look, I'll get the hang of it sooner or later then dad will give me a big boy knife. Your jokes about my knife having a guard are slicing thin. (get it? slicing thin? I slay myself).

Wow this is getting too hard for me.......
    Like this one?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...ife-90714.html

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I actually have one that was a well meaning gift......not sure what to do with it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Wow this is getting too hard for me.......
    Like this one?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...ife-90714.html

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I actually have one that was a well meaning gift......not sure what to do with it?

Ha! That is a whole lot like the one that a friend has, only his is black! It is so big, it hangs over half way to his knee, and if he fell on it, it would gut him like a deer!
    You can always tell a green horn, because he will show up with a knife that is bigger than his arm!

I do like that Hunter. I could use the guards and hollow handle to make a spear if I need to. I could even use the blade as a signal device. What's not to like for less than $10?! I'll bet a fellah could drive in tent pegs with that pommel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I do like that Hunter. I could use the guards and hollow handle to make a spear if I need to. I could even use the blade as a signal device. What's not to like for less than $10?! I'll bet a fellah could drive in tent pegs with that pommel.
    At least until the handle fell off!

Even better. Then you'd have two!