Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the dandelion stem edible?

Default Is the dandelion stem edible?

Is the dandelion stem edible? The milky part?

Blog Entries

All parts are edible. Even the roots.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

It won't taste any better thought
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    It won't taste any better thought
    He didn't ask about the taste.
    Last edited by Ken; 05-13-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I am beginning to realize that when some thing is 'edible' just means it won't kill ya, doesn't have anything to do with taste.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've heard that any part of a dandelion will taste "not bad, actually" if you fry it, or basically treat it the same way you would cook kale.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I ate a dandelion flower...my first wildlife forage...and it was sweet. Just wondered if it was important to make sure the stem is not eaten with it. The stem is kinda gross to think about eating. Maybe I'll get drunk and try it.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    I ate a dandelion flower...my first wildlife forage...and it was sweet. Just wondered if it was important to make sure the stem is not eaten with it. The stem is kinda gross to think about eating. Maybe I'll get drunk and try it.
    Thanks.
    Then why not try this!

Dandelion Wine Recipe

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...#axzz2TCecoRA3
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Canid
    It won't taste any better though.

It won't taste any worse either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    I've heard that any part of a dandelion will taste "not bad, actually" if you fry it, or basically treat it the same way you would cook kale.
    Or wrap it in bacon

Goog

I found pickling to suit them sell.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Picked up the habit of chewing from the base of the stem to the flower by watching cottontails. Starts out slightly bitter then finishes on a nice note that way. Kind of noodle like when I boil the stems a while.

I just eat the leaves. Boiled, Fried, or raw.
    But only in the spring. Before they flower.
    Too bitter otherwise.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I must have a high tolerance for bitter. I eat the leaves and stems raw and blanched all summer long.

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Is the dandelion stem edible? The milky part?
    Is your confusion because of the milk like sap? Milkweed (appropriately enough) is milky and edible just as dandelions are.

Remember the rhyme "leaves of three, let it be" about poison ivy? Jack in the pulpit, clovers, sorrels, etc, etc have three leaves and are edible.

IMHO there are many myths about the outdoors, especially wild edibles. I suspect that "in the olden days" there was a lot more mentoring and a whole lot less reading about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Is your confusion because of the milk like sap? Milkweed (appropriately enough) is milky and edible just as dandelions are.

Remember the rhyme "leaves of three, let it be" about poison ivy? Jack in the pulpit, clovers, sorrels, etc, etc have three leaves and are edible.

IMHO there are many myths about the outdoors, especially wild edibles. I suspect that "in the olden days" there was a lot more mentoring and a whole lot less reading about such things.
    Good points, Dux, I agree we need more hands on from people who've been there, done that. I've decided other than shelf mushrooms, to avoid gathering mushrooms until an expert takes me out in the field for a real mushroom hunt.

this last week I hiked along the spring trail up in Colorado. Collected 6 edible plants, added them to my cooked spaghetti. Point being to get used to that wild taste. The fronds tasted like asparagus. The dandelion, grass, clover, and stinging nettle were all young and not bitter. The wild rose was sweet, a nice dessert by itself.

There were many plants along the trail I didn't know, so I left them alone for the time being.
    Last edited by thefemalesurvivalist; 06-27-2013 at 11:19 PM.

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

It depends on where you pick dandelions too. I've found those that grow in shade to be less bitter than those that grow in the sun. Most plants require leaves before they can send up a flower stalk. Dandelions are an exception because they have a deep tap root where energy is stored they don't have to wait on food created by leaves to flower. Most dandelions will sprout leaves and flower stalk about the same time. So you have no guarantee that younger leaves will be bitter free.

The bitter is something called Sesquiterpenes found in the plant. the % of S goes up when the plant becomes dehydrated and/or is subjected to sunlight (the leaves will make S because of the sunlight). Since sunlight is not overbearing in the spring and plants tend to be more in wet or damp ground the plants are less bitter. Once the sun rises overhead in late spring and spring rains stop the sun dries the ground and turns on S. production in the leaves. So...find dandelions in the shade where the ground is still damp and you'll find dandelions that are less bitter overall.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

^^^Exactly why I like this site
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander88 View Post
    ^^^Exactly why I like this site
    And here I thought it was our charm and ruggedly handsome looks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    And here I thought it was our charm and ruggedly handsome looks.
    I thought that went without saying.
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."