Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a "DAYPACK".....???

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default What is a "DAYPACK".....???

What is a daypack ? I thought I knew for sure, and now for sure, I truely don't know. I must have more than 20+ packs, including an original "Trapper Nelson" (Which looks like a daypack).

Clearly cell phones and "SPOT" locator's have changed the amount of survival gear most carry. I have neither phone or SPOT, and nearly 100% of my daily hikes are alone, and off trail. So I feel I need a lot of survival gear just for a 6 hour walk.

After careful assessment, my basic (Must Have) gear is 1,600 cubic inches. So I need 2,000 c.i. just to have room for a jacket & gloves. Some how this does not seem like a daypack.

So what defines a "Daypack" for you......No belt, a bookbag, no suspension system, 1,200 c.i. or less, What.....?

Being in such a different climate than you..

Mine is centered around water (especially in summer). A 3 liter hydration bladder in a pack (I will carry additional water if exploring a large, unfamiliar area). First aid kit, signaling (phone, whistle, mirror - occasionally a frs/grms radio), firearm, fire starting stuff, bug spray, mosquito head net, sun screen, etc., couple of knives, 1 gallon ziplock, poncho, cordage, sometimes a metal cup, camera, extra batteries. My summer day pack is not large - mostly water.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

(From another forum)
    Question: Originally Posted by LuJon
    What gear are you packing? There may be room to trim some fat.

My answer:
    Sleeping Bag: polyester fill: 2 lb. 4 oz.

8'X12' sheet of 6 mill visqueen (to be replaced by Golite SL3)

Redundant fire starting systems. (They are very small and light)

Fresh socks.

spare shoe laces and light twine.

knife (In the winter also a saw)

Large amount of First Aid stuff.

watch cap and light leather gloves (for sharp rock encounters)

Pop-Tarts & candy bar type stuff, bullion cubes, a 2-cups of minute rice. and stainless steel cup.

Roll-up sun glass's

copper wire.

This list is just from memory. Could I get by with nothing/no pack.......yes. But the issue is if I have a compound fracture and have to crawl out, I'll wish I had survival/first aid gear. The key to remember is NO ONE knows where I went, or even that I went, and I avoid trails, and I am alone. The easy answer for me to reduce survival gear is a cell phone or SPOT thingie. Also about once a year, I seem to find myself too far out and to exausted to get back to the starting point, and have to overnight it

Being in a different environment from both of you my daypack is:

2 liter water bladder
    Fire starting kit
    First aid kit
    Survival kit (you asked)
    Canteen cup
    Either Clif Bars or MoJo bars
    Cell phone
    Firearm
    Mora 780
    Camera
    Book on wild plants

If you want a list of my first aid kid and my survival kit just let me know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just weighed my daypack from yesterday hike: 18.5 pounds including pack, gear, & wind breaker type jacket. I consider this a stripped down pack.

This subject came up as I am looking to order a new smaller pack.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Like Rick & Crash, my geographic area differs from yours, so here goes:

1.) Survival kit.
    2.) Sportsman's outdoor blanket.
    3.) 50 to 100 feet of 550 cord.
    4.) Silva Ranger Compass.
    5.) Rite-in-the-Rain notebook w/Fisher space pen.
    6.) Water bottle(s) filled with clean water.
    7.) Tea bags and 16 oz.s of sugar.
    8.) Small pair of Bushnell Binoculars.
    9.) Mora 2000 Survival knife. (NOTE: NOT the Bear Grylls survival knife!)
    10.) Small bag of hard candy.
    11.) Small pot for boiling water.
    12.) Small pack of boullion cubes.
    13.) 2 pkgs. Ramen noodles.
    14.) 1st aid kit.
    15.) Water proof matches in waterproof match case, Strike-Force Fire starter, 0000 steel wool.
    16.) Mini-Mag flashlight.
    17.) Pink lady candle.
    18.) 2-4 55 gal. 4 mil. Trash bags. (Construction type.)
    19.) Military poncho in the summer. Military Gore-tex jacket in the winter.
    20.) Fire-starting materials: Sisal rope pcs., cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, ect.

There may be a few more small items depending on the weather, etc..
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm assuming that a Day Pack is not and EDC for y'all, right?
    I'm also guessing that a Day Pack is meant to see you through a day or two at most, because you fully expect to get home--otherwise you'd carry a longer-term pack.

Personally, I don't have a Day Pack. Just EDC in my pocketbook and a long term +-25lb BOB. If I need to get out for a few days I'll grab the BOB.
    KISS, for me at least.

I guess I consider my Hunting Fanny pack, my Day pack:
    Idea being items and supplies to be used in a day, but with PSK if need be.

Fanny pack,…. modified to attach combo knife now a Mora 2000 and small hatchet.
    ‘Skitter stick
    First aid kit
    Pair of Walkie-talkie’s, one has scan function, FM and weather capability.
    Compass
    Whistle
    Water purification straw
    2 white garbage bags, (stuff is on top)
    Parabolic mirror (It’s cool)
    Insect repellent
    Sent block-earth
    Cordage
    Space blanket
    Thermos bottle w/ss cup, comes off plastic cup (Not worth a crap in the morning, without my coffee)
    TP in zip lock bag
    Belt ammo wallet with extra ammo ( this will very from season to season)
    Hand/foot warmers
    From left again:
    Mini Mag light in holder (can’t see it too good)
    Opinel folding knife on note book w/pen and pencil
    Dental floss
    Fire kit carried in zip lock bag:
    Bees wax candle end
    3-home made fire starting blocks
    Ferro rod Fire steel (can’t see it too good)
    Folding Razor cutter
    35 film container, w/duck tape wound around outside, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, inside.
    Old pill bottle w/ wood matches and striker board
    Bic type lighter
    Lemon drops ( I just like ’em)
    Mini Binoc’s
    I had picked up a Slolder "messengers bag", but so far haven't converted it.
    Seems I tend to keep adding stuff till it get too heavy, then go to a bigger bag or dump everything and start over....again.

I'm a big fan of "lunch' so normally just carry a sandwich, pkgs of peanut butter or cheesy crackers, chewy granola bars, candy bars, and extra bottles of water, at least 2-16 oz bottles.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a small fanny pack I like for small hikes. I have been eyeballing the sidekick today. I think (Crash) has one and likes it. Wanted to see if I could get away from the pack short less than 4 miles from the truck trips. I plan to couple the 2 small packs. (Crash) Can you weigh in again on the sidekick before I splurge? Is this it?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=680136
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 07-06-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned
    Blog Entries

My question is more of what "IS" a Daypack and when does a daypack become a small packback......? Not what is in the pack.
    See I find that what I had considered a daypack 3,300 c.i. is really a common backpack.

Lady B. I never really thought of it, but I guess my 18.5 pound pack at 3,300 c.i. really is my every day carry.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I have a small fanny pack I like for small hikes. I have been eyeballing the sidekick today. I think (Crash) has one and likes it. Wanted to see if I could get away from the pack short less than 4 miles from the truck trips. I plan to couple the 2 small packs. (Crash) Can you weigh in again on the sidekick before I splurge? Is this it?

Your link didn't work. I don't have a bag called Sidekick. You may be thinking of my Maxpedition bags. I've got both the Fatboy and Jumbo Versa (I only use the jumbo anymore). I like them. Based on a recommendation I made, a forum member bought one. He hates it (more accurately I guess is that it did not carry the way he wanted). When I use it as an EDC bag while at work I just slip it over my shoulder. When I use it for a short hike, in addition to slipping it over my shoulder, I use the velcro belt loop on the back to take most of the weight and to keep it from bouncing around.

Jumbo

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Both Jumbo and Fatboy

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    My question is more of what "IS" a Daypack and when does a daypack become a small packback......? Not what is in the pack.
    See I find that what I had considered a daypack 3,300 c.i. is really a common backpack.

Lady B. I never really thought of it, but I guess my 18.5 pound pack at 3,300 c.i. really is my every day carry.
    I know that I'll regret saying this............

Size doesn't really matter IMO. It's more the function that is important. Last year when Mrs. Crash and I spent the day on Cumberland Island my day pack included food, shelter, sleep system, cook pot, etc. in addition to what I normally carry. It was winter, and if we missed the last boat off the island we'd be spending the night.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A day pack for me is much less than that. About 1800 CI. Even at that I have extra space. I can wear that pack when biking or with a few changes can use the same pack just to spend the day on a trail walking.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

[am curious what first aid gear you take.]

It is about the size of a 1/2 loaf of bread. Everything up to suture kit & 6" field bandage. The point is do I need it day after day........NO, but it exists for safety. If I need an "Ace" bandage real bad, will I be sad that I deleted it to save space.......Yes.

I think I'll keep the gear at 1,600 c.i. and just drop down from a 3,300 c.i. pack to half that size. Thinking now along this line: http://www.backcountry.com/lowe-alpi...pack-1600cu-in

Note: I like a tall yet narrow pack for protection of the neck area in case of a fall or protracted nibbling by brown fuzzy's.

Here it is again, I fixed the link in the original post....very similar to your maxpedition...and a good price....good reviews. What does the maxpedition model run?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

The link is still bad and I can't tell where you are trying to go or I'd fix it for you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A day pack for me is much less than that. About 1800 CI. Even at that I have extra space. I can wear that pack when biking or with a few changes can use the same pack just to spend the day on a trail walking.
    What I am shopping for is a pack that is about 1,800 c.i. and is narrow and shallow, but tall. Tall to protect the neck in a fall, and narrow because I am often fighting my way through brush. More along the lines of a technical assault pack.

Trying again.....

I calculate 840 cu.in. in the main compartment.

Third time is not a charm. Still no go. What's the name of it and I'll see if I can find it. I'm on SG now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Third time is not a charm. Still no go.
    It works as soon as I post and then quits...I don't know what I am doing wrong. Try this

sportsmanguide.......military packs bags......sidekick