Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pop quiz

Bear breathing down my neck. It looks down.

"Oh, dang. Would you look at what you did? And I stepped in it. I ain't lickin' that off my paws."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well kiddies, between klkak and me we've got two different question sets, I'm anxious to see more responses to klkak's. What Rick and Dolfan came up with is good stuff, but I was thinking in terms of before you ever see actual footprints (cuz you ain't going to mistake a bear's footprint for anything else, or if you are...please stay in the city) There are a couple of other things to look for while hiking that I hope someone comes up with.

Rick that warm humid breath might just be your new fiancee that you mentioned in that other post, but that's your business.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

hmmmm, there are no berries from the ground up to about waist high. That is so weird.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

Let's say your standing still and you get that feeling, some of ya know what I'm speaking of. Well, you're dead still and you hear noise circleing you, with a low grunt or a kind of blow every now and then.

Guess who's coming to dinner? GTFOOD, keep the gun handy, if no gun, get a big stout stick.

Sniff alot, bears like hogs stink.

I find that when I am on my hands and knees crawling through thickets chasing hogs, a good sniff will indicate when you're almost on top of them. LOL....

Other things that I will notice; dead stumps or trees especially roots near water ripped out.

Funny story. Hunting Dawson Forest WMA, Amicallola tract, at the end of the road all the way back. Hunting with my 45lb selfbow and selfarrows. I needed to go to the bathroom, no problemmo, snuck down by the river in the thickets.

I do my business, as I am sneaking out, I notice that tree roots are actually pulled out of the ground, looking around, I see where this bruin has just raked up the ground. This was not hog rooting. I got out of there fast.

Everyone knows about the raking of trees, but bears also tear the crap out of the ground. If you are in an area that is know for bears, and you are up a ridge or on the ridge and you find what you think is hog rooting. It's not, it's bear sign.

I'll stop here.

I'm speak'n of these little ol black bears in Georgia.LOL. When it comes to grizz-------I'd have lunch with an "old salt" prior to venturing into those woods.
    Last edited by FVR; 11-28-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Blog Entries

"Hey guys come up here and look at this. Someone has barried a dead elk here."

Woooof! .................................................. ............................ The end!

good points fvr, kevin, stop feeding these guys the answers LOL. There's more to look for here, where's the newbs? Don't be shy to try, think like a bear for a couple of minutes....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Around here the Heart of Palm has been harvested and the palm fronds surrounding the center have been crushed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

In the late spring and fall, bowhunting for deer, you will find sign around the muscadine and wild grape, and berry bushes. These bushes run and you will find many in one area. Wild grapes need both male and female plants, so it is not uncommon to find hundreds of feet of delicious fruit. Mr and Mrs bear know this.

It is freaky when hunting deer in Ga., to come up on some pretty big bear tracks and scat. Because you realize, ya ain't number uno in the woods no mo. Even a small black bear can do considerable damage to an un-suspecting human.

Other things to keep in mind, black bears eat more than just berries. They eat; ants, roots, grubs, fish, misc. dead critters, almost anything.

Up until a few years ago, bears were not common across the street. Then they came, and now the rules do change. You need to be conscious while camping, no food to be left out, if it is, make it a ways away. Pref. hang from the trees. You just can't walk up to a string of berrys and grapes anymore without a care, as you maybe become an unwanted guest. The little trout stream back areas where fish usually die, that you need to trudge through to get to your spot, may become a feeding area for the locals.

I do enjoy these quizs, I fight the temptation to google because I'm more interested in what I know right now, not what I can get.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    good points fvr, kevin, stop feeding these guys the answers LOL. There's more to look for here, where's the newbs? Don't be shy to try, think like a bear for a couple of minutes....
    (....fine....)

Traces of fur in briers or tree bark. Wide trampled gaps in vegetable where they walked through. Sudden bird sounds indicative of something moving through the woods or birds jumping from tree to tree staying in front of the bear as he walks along. Any loud noise nearby (limb snaps, bushes rustle, water splash), parts of people stuff (shredded piece of backpack, stuff bag, etc.), If crossing a stream any disturbed water/silt floating by (indicating animal upstream).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Little bells in scat ---- probably griz scat.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well...imho

1) Frank, I'm never going to agree that hanging food is a good idea. Bury your food. Hanging it is putting an advertisement in the breeze. Bear's primary sense is smell

2) Look for dug up anthills along the way. Berry patches that have been totally cleaned out.

3) Rick, birds are probably going to sit quietly and watch the bear pass. Humans will get them tree jumping before a bear will, they're accustomed to bears.

4) Watch the tree line. Trees that are moving in the wrong direction from the breeze or out of rhythm with the other trees, bars like to give themselves back rubs and they like to sharpen their claws.

Oh yeah and klkak's question: It's probably a good idea to head to the car. You met up with the bear's tracks on your path, clearly it's not on your path in front of you, so if it went off your path, it might very well be to get behind you again. They can be tricky that way. Look around, you've got footprints, how big are they? where did they go? straight line or arcing? (straight line better for you) Sometimes they're just curious, but on the other hand....you want 800 pounds of pissed off if it's not just curious?
    Last edited by trax; 11-28-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks. A couple of things you can always count on in this forum. A lot of fun and learning a few things. That's what it's all about.

Blog Entries

Trax,

LOL. Don't black bears climb??? good point on burying.

Learn something new everyday.

I don't worry about birds as I'm so stealth, I just sneak by the buggers. I'm usually okay until I get a spiderweb in the face, freakkkkkkkkkkkkk outttttttt.

FVR,the spider webs doesn't bother me,nor the fugly spider thats in it,if my daughter goes to the woods with me and she walks into one of them,there won't be an animal for miles around after she settles down.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

My wife and I were on a trail not too long ago and there was a spider web about every 10 feet. I'd never seen so many. I kept my walking stick out in front of me to make certain it went through them first but even if a breeze moved a bit of hair, I'd jump. You can get a case of heeby jeebies pretty darn quick. I HATE SPIDERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I HATE SPIDERS!
    Not me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, but you know how to hypnotize them.

"Look closely at the swaying spray nozzle. Focus your eight eyes on the end of it."

Blog Entries

A friend and I were moose hunting. We were walking down this long winding trail with alder growing over it making like and alder tunnel to get to the valley below. About a third of the way down we decided the alder tunnel was to creepy so we turned around to go back.

We had back tracked about 200 yards when my friend said "look at this". I stepped up beside him and looked at where he was pointing. There were some very large grizzly tracks on top of our boot prints. The hair stood up on the back of my neck. Zach said "are you going to look behind us or do you want me to do it?"

I turned around and about 20 or 30 feet behind us was a good sized grizzly standing half in the trail looking up at us. We slowly started walking up the trail with me walking back wards.

That damn bear followed us all the way back to the ATV's. Just walking and sniffing. I think if we had been less attentive we would never have known he was there unless he attacked us.

I still get chill's thinking that we walked within a few feet of him as we passed him on the trail.

Several hundred pounds of bear staring you in the face make those 180gr "Nosler Partitions" seem like BB's.

always makes ya wonder whats out there looking at ya, we have allot more cougar sightings up here, black bears i am not concerned about but being stalked by a grizz thats really got to get in your head, bet ya didn't feel like top o the food chain there maybe top o the supper list
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com