Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

since you asked us to keep it confined to flora, I will definitely have to go with:
    #1- Morell mushrooms, they're just deee-licious!
    #2- Alaskan blueberries or raspberries
    #3- Alaskan cloudberries

Wild leaks, rasberries, black rasberries, blackberries, huckleberries, elderberries...most any wild fruit and berries basicaly, and clover and danilions make a nice salad.

1)moral mushrooms
    2)dandelions
    3)grape leaves

dandelions, blackberries, honeybees, and honeysuckle.

Rabbits fear my name.....

Not sure if they were wild, but I found two pear trees and about six peach trees and I love em.

I also like Dandelion greens as well as the wine made from the yellow tops.

And the fruit of the passionflower (maypop) 'Passionfruit!' Found a vine growing on the fenceline and love the fruit! (Makes a great smoothie!)

Welcome, Cleankill. Care to go over to the Introductions section and tells us a bit about yourself?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I make chewing gum with bees wax, honey, and clearified Pine Resin,(some times i add a little cinnimon).
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Hucklberry, persimmon, sumac-ade and hickory nuts are hard to beat. There are countless others which are delicious but these are my favourites.
    Also, I prefer the chicory coffee to the dandelion coffee.

Hey there Hard County - welcome to the forum. When you get a chance head on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about you. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ROSE HIP and SERVICE BERRY TEA.... from dehydrate! And dont forget about Pineapple
    weed, wood sorel (lemon clover), New England Goose Berry, the Florida Glossy leafed HOLLY(contains Cafine),Labrador tea,Roasted and ground Pine Tree Root Bark.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

My favourite bush foods most definitely the top one has to be Cattail pancakes, usually made with porcupine or rabbit fat. (although rabbits don't have much fat on them) The most delicious tasting breakfast ever, especially if you have some blueberries to cook and pour over them... mmmmmmm

But for a meal, the one thing I have been craving over the years which I haven't had since my grandfather passed on would have to be pheasant, pit roasted with plantain, cattail shoots and arrowhead tubers, maybe dry and burn some coltsfoot for garnish/spice.

Sassafras leaves dired and crushed into powder and added to my stews. Skunk cabbage roots, thinned and dried, also added to my stews. My favorite game animal is Deer and Rabbits liver and eyes. I also like steamed grasshoppers, lol. My Acorn cakes are good as well. I have many favorite outdoor foods.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Nwy- you mentioned spice, Sassafras is the way to go. Lol.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

When I was in the scouts (a reeeealy long time ago) we would use sassafras quite a bit. Now that it is known to be a carcinogen I will stay away from it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

last week alan introduced me to sweet gale tea very nice, this evening i used raspberry leaves i put 10 leaves in to steep for 10 minutes maybe next time i will only use 5 i wasn't overy excited about the flavor
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

lol... it is illegal to pick mushrooms in most parts of australia

that aside, nothing is more rewarding to eat than something you have obtained from the wild!

i prefer any seafood because it is always fresher from the wild than any top class resturant (and free!) and easy to get

other favourites include rabbit, berries, honey and any plantation fruit you can steal

How about Orange grass, Sassafras, and Green Briar ? And some Yaupon Holly tea!

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    I make chewing gum with bees wax, honey, and clearified Pine Resin,(some times i add a little cinnimon).
    I wouldn't mind trying that. Do you mind sharing the technique you use to make that?
    Last edited by LudwigVan; 10-16-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Also In The Great Basin Nevada Region We Have Morman Tea Plants. They Can Cure AHeadache And Give You A Nice Boost Of Energy. And Also A Good Book I Keep With Me When I'm Out Is "Edible Wild Plants and Herbs: A pocket Guide" By Alan M. Cvancara.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    last week alan introduced me to sweet gale tea very nice, this evening i used raspberry leaves i put 10 leaves in to steep for 10 minutes maybe next time i will only use 5 i wasn't overy excited about the flavor
    Raspberry leaf is so astringent it leaves your mouth all dry. Don't like it that much either; we keep some around mostly for medicinal use.
    Actions speak louder than words