Thread: Western Pa Newb

Default Western Pa Newb

Hello all. My name is Brian im rather old to be starting something completely new but here i am completely new to all this stuff. Im 36 soon to be 37 and i know some of u been studying this stuff for ten years already by my age. i was a electrical engineer but have left that field for reasons. I used to think that while i was going to school for EE that it was hard with all the math and science but recently i realized that it is nothing compaired to trying to learn how to gather food from nature lol. I bought the book "The forager's harvest" A guide to identifying, harvesting, and preparing edible wild plants and still have no idea how to gather food lol. Well im just saying hi so I can start asking other questions in other forums to pick your brains I am also curious does anyone know any good wilderness living or survival schools in PA area?

Greetings from AZ!
    Can't help you with the schools, but I am sure someone will wander by with some ideas.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Welcome aboard! Harumph, Old indeed! I got 30 years on ya youngster! Anyway, I don't know of any survival schools in Pennsylvania, but there's Willow Haven near Indianapolis, Indiana run by Creek Stewart:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/

And in Ohio David Canterbury's Pathfinder school:

http://www.thepathfinderschoolllc.com/

I don't know if those will help at all, I do know that Willow Haven is really affordable. If you talk to Creek tell him that Sarge sent ya!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Brik9876 View Post
    Hello all. My name is Brian im rather old to be starting something completely new but here i am completely new to all this stuff. Im 36 soon to be 37 and i know some of u been studying this stuff for ten years already by my age. i was a electrical engineer but have left that field for reasons. I used to think that while i was going to school for EE that it was hard with all the math and science but recently i realized that it is nothing compaired to trying to learn how to gather food from nature lol. I bought the book "The forager's harvest" A guide to identifying, harvesting, and preparing edible wild plants and still have no idea how to gather food lol. Well im just saying hi so I can start asking other questions in other forums to pick your brains I am also curious does anyone know any good wilderness living or survival schools in PA area?
    Welcome Brik!

It is good to have you aboard man, and remember that many of us never went to a survival school, but we still know how to survive. Lot's of listening, reading, and practicing wilderness skills can get you a long way down the road. Survival school could never hurt, but is not the only way to learn. Camping hiking and staying out in the woods can teach you many things!
    It is my opinion that learning the basic skills, using common sense, and being calm and creative in any situation is the key to survival.

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Welcome Brik!

It is good to have you aboard man, and remember that many of us never went to a survival school, but we still know how to survive. Lot's of listening, reading, and practicing wilderness skills can get you a long way down the road. Survival school could never hurt, but is not the only way to learn. Camping hiking and staying out in the woods can teach you many things!
    It is my opinion that learning the basic skills, using common sense, and being calm and creative in any situation is the key to survival.
    I agree, check out my 6-part blog for a mini-survival course I designed just for folks like you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Btw...

Here's the link to the 1st in the 6-part series:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ing-the-basics

Hope this helps you somewhat.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info guys. I really appreciate it. Sarge i haven't had time yet to look at it but ill defiantly do that tonight, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Welcome aboard! Harumph, Old indeed! I got 30 years on ya youngster! Anyway, I don't know of any survival schools in Pennsylvania, but there's Willow Haven near Indianapolis, Indiana run by Creek Stewart:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/

And in Ohio David Canterbury's Pathfinder school:

http://www.thepathfinderschoolllc.com/

I don't know if those will help at all, I do know that Willow Haven is really affordable. If you talk to Creek tell him that Sarge sent ya!
    Speaking of Creek Stewart, check out his book, "Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag." Lots of good stuff in there.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    Speaking of Creek Stewart, check out his book, "Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag." Lots of good stuff in there.
    That's why I did the review, we bought 3 of them, one for each member of the family. I've even talked to Creek on the phone a few times. He's a pretty cool guy!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Welcome Home ,From Florida
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.