Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest build it yourself project!

Default My latest build it yourself project!

I have always loved building things with my own two hands.

I am not good at 'fancy' stuff but if it can be done with rough lumber and hand tools.I am all over it.

Here is my latest project.a Goat stantion for use when I need to 'doctor' a goat or trim its hooves. I still need to add the stantion to it..........

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

here is a picture of one that I am sort of going by......

I used to have a wood mizer sawmill so I have lots of various sized lumber to use.

Looks like a winner to me. The goats should be rightly impressed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thank you. I think I did a dang good job.....hoping the goats will think so too, but they are not easily impressed.

Goat: "Well, will you look at this? Hey girls! Look here. All I have to do is stick my head in here and AAAaaaarrggghhh!"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Throw a tin roof on it if ya want, makes it better on rain days which is when I usually have to do something to one of my few goats.

At least my old nanny is throwing another kid and gives good tasting milk. Now If I could just get a vet to trade care for em so I did not have to do it myself.

I swear if a goat thinks you are gonna hurt em they will beg you not to. Hardest animal for me to kill n butcher is a goat.

Now chicken n pig n deer n wild pig, I have no problem with that. Not much of a butcher but no problem with doing it, just prefer to trade meat for butcher services from RIP.

I am seriously considering adding a few sheep to the place. Lot of issues to resolve, but I want to try spinning / weaving wool and not many sheep farms to get raw wool from around Alabama and way expensive to order a lot. Thus I am thinking of home grown wool . And probably some mutton also, although it isn't a main meat around here.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Nice job so far Darkevs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I hear ya about the goats..they are so 'pet' like and it is hard to kill/butcher them. I have just started another herd, the girls will stay, but their offspring will be my meat source.

I have been thinking of getting pigs again..looking into a heritage breed..the Berkshire, as they will free range inside a huge fenced area and not just escape and run away!

thanks crashdive123, I really do love building things..........with just a little help from friends I have built my cabin, chicken house, wood shed, Shop shed and a few other things over the years. My cabin looks like a log cabin, but it is not. I just sided it with slabs off the sawmill.
    Last edited by Darkevs; 04-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Nice job on the goat table.....I'd have a tought time killing something I have named....Oh, well.
    I'm liking the cabin...can you post a bigger pic of it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Great job Darkeyes! You guys should build a goat guillatine, and put a long rope on it. That way you can step around the corner of the barn, and just tug on the rope
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Very nice, we used something similar for milking goats.

You just wait. That table, some chairs and the next thing you know.....

hahaha..cute picture!!!

Well, I am almost finished.................just have to drill a hole in the deck and 2 X 4 to attatch the cross piece with a bolt.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

We have feral pigs down in the swamp part of my land, I pretty much gave up keeping more than one just for the ability to have something to throw all the scraps too. Also tame hog lard is much better than the little bit ya get off of feral. but the bacon is leaner off them.

I think a hog is the best converter of scraps a homestead can have. Just stick the pen down range and where water can drain to make it a nice waller and you and it should be happy.

Be sure to cook up some cracklin bread when ya butcher it. :-) N don't waste the mountain oysters. :-)

If ya don't know what those are then you are probably better off not knownin'

for real fun serve up some pickled pig snout to your fancy friends when they come visit , it is a hoot (or is that a snoot) LOL
    Thaddius Bickerton

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    We have feral pigs down in the swamp part of my land, I pretty much gave up keeping more than one just for the ability to have something to throw all the scraps too. Also tame hog lard is much better than the little bit ya get off of feral. but the bacon is leaner off them.

I think a hog is the best converter of scraps a homestead can have. Just stick the pen down range and where water can drain to make it a nice waller and you and it should be happy.

Be sure to cook up some cracklin bread when ya butcher it. :-) N don't waste the mountain oysters. :-)

If ya don't know what those are then you are probably better off not knownin'

for real fun serve up some pickled pig snout to your fancy friends when they come visit , it is a hoot (or is that a snoot) LOL
    I know what they are, and I'll pass lol....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sparky, you know those little sausage links you love so much? Guess what they throw in the grinder when they make those. It's all those little parts you would not touch if you knew what they were.

Nothing on the hog is wasted, even in the processing plant.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

head cheese is lovely too.

good job there. Used to use one of those for milking goats. Nice job on the cabin too. Thumbs up on the headcheese.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    Everything but the oink and they are working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sparky, you know those little sausage links you love so much? Guess what they throw in the grinder when they make those. It's all those little parts you would not touch if you knew what they were.

Lol, I love them little sausage links to much to care. If someone fried up some mountain oysters I'd probably try them, I haven't yet found a food I couldn't eat lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Now that's just too gross for my delicate sensibilities.