Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Usage

I put an extended tube on my 1100 and a tactical stock. This is what it looked like before the canoe accident.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You get more for your money with a shotgun than almost any other defense tool.

A $200 pistol is not much pistol.
    A $200 simiauto rifle is just a pipe-dream
    A $200 pump shotgun is a beast to contend with in any serious social setting.

Besides, if you buy a shotgun you will have something you can actually hunt with in Ohio!

Think about springing $200 for a riot barrel for the 1100. Back in the '70s that was the issue shotgun for the LAPD and several other cities.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/322...ad-sight-matte
    See, so at the minimum I need to buy a new barell, and probably a tactical stock, so I still hate you

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I put an extended tube on my 1100 and a tactical stock. This is what it looked like before the canoe accident.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Rickster, just how large of an arsenal did you lose in the infamous canoe wreck?

It makes me weep each time I think about it. In case ATF is reading it was all gone. Each and every one of them. There was an RRA AR15 in the bunch, too. (sigh) Oh, and several thousand rounds of ammo. I don't think I should have loaded all that stuff in the back of the canoe with me. That might have been my mistake.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It makes me weep each time I think about it. In case ATF is reading it was all gone. Each and every one of them. There was an RRA AR15 in the bunch, too. (sigh) Oh, and several thousand rounds of ammo. I don't think I should have loaded all that stuff in the back of the canoe with me. That might have been my mistake.
    Couln't you have dived down and got some of them out! Surely you weren't haulin guns down a dangerous deep river with killer rapids were you? Where did this happen, I want some new guns?
    And why did you have all of those guns and ammo, were you preparing for a duelling banjo attack or something. This is very interesting!

They were being moved across the lake. Canoe is the only way to get to my house. The lake is at least 500 feet deep. How far can scuba go down? It's 3 feet deeper than that. The pickup truck is no problem to balance on the canoe but those guns and all that ammo were a problem. So I don't have anything but my charming good looks anymore....if ATF is reading.

They were being moved across the lake. Canoe is the only way to get to my house. The lake is at least 500 feet deep. How far can scuba go down? It's 3 feet deeper than that. The pickup truck is no problem to balance on the canoe but those guns and all that ammo were a problem. So I don't have anything but my charming good looks anymore....if ATF is reading.
    Buddy that had to really stink, it makes me want to cry just thinking about it. Dont forget that we love ya brother, ( in a non-brokeback mountain kind of way)!
    Man that would really ruin a good weekend!

I tried a big magnet but it came untied. Lost it, too.

I feel your pain....those canoe accidents were going around a couple of years ago.........It was indeed sad.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-24-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

very sad for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I guess I need to get a short shotgun! See now youv'e done it, I need another frickin gun because of you! I hate you!
    Hey buddy, I'm here for you!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We need to start a canoe accident support group!

I do not currently own a canoe but I do have a John boat that has a real weak drain plug. I worry about that every time I go duck hunting.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That's how it starts. Weak drain plug, boat loaded with weapons. Them BAMO! Before you know it you're callin in the Coast Guard to pluck you out of a raging lake or river. All your weapons and ammo now belong to Davy Jones. I still get cold chills just thinkin about it.

We need to start a canoe accident support group!

I do not currently own a canoe but I do have a John boat that has a real weak drain plug. I worry about that every time I go duck hunting.

I thought that was how you filled the live well!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

It helps to talk about it you know, and we are here to listen

1. In the current world you are not defending your home until the bad guy comes inside. A shotgun will do for inside defense more effectively than an AR and you get three for the price of one.
    Agreed. That, and a pistol. 'Tis kinda hard dialling the phone while holding a shotgun.

3. In either-- scenario -- you do not have enough mags or ammo. No one has enough mags and ammo. Some of us that were in the military have looked at a deuce-and-a-half load and said "Go get more!"
    Dang! I purely resemble that remark!

4. Guns and ammo are only part of your defense, you also must harden your position. You may very well wish you had spent $500 on barbed wire instead of $1200 on an AR.
    Or a few strategically-placed quarter-inch hardened steel plates, or...

(The fact that I talk slow doesn't mean that I think slow.)

-- Nighteyes

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    ... See now youv'e done it, I need another frickin gun because of you! I hate you!
    Nope. You just need a shorter barrel for your Remington 1100. Commonly available, easy to exchange, etc.

-- Nighteyes

... All your weapons and ammo now belong to Davy Jones....
    Nobody better even THINK about confronting ol' Mister Jones...!

Tests have proven that .223 HP's/SP's have less penetration through common building materials than mostly all defensive pistol rounds, shotgun slugs, or buckshot. I will be clearing my own home after a quick call to the PD so penetration is a concern. I've done a few of my own penetrations test that support the findings that .223 is less penetrative than other stuff out there. So yes, an AR sleeps comfortably under my bed until it may be called upon. As a matter of fact, the AR platform (M4 specifically) is not at all unweildly and is actually taylored to clearing homes by it's shortened design making it very handy around corners. That being said, I also keep a loaded 12 guage pump handy. Can't have too many options. Most legal length shotguns (18") are actually longer than an M4/AR. So if someone considers the AR unweildy indoors, this mindset would ultimately have to apply to their shotgun too.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

The M4 wasn't mentioned just the AR. My AR is 37 inches from nose to tail with the butt extended or 34 inches shortened. My .45 is .... well .... a lot shorter. Mine also eats 5.56 FMJ.