Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: backwoods menu/Wild tea.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    Wild raspberries, strawberries and saskatoons
    Dandelion, fireweed and wild chives
    boletus and meadow mushrooms
    Hey I live in saskatoon. In fact, my great great grandpa helped name the saskatoon berry. Or so the family story goes.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    no , they were like resberries but you could see through them , they were on a plant that looks sorta like a wild blueberry plant, there was just one cluster of em there iv nevery seen anything like it in books or whyle hiking
    Cloudberries maybe?They look very similar to raspberries but turn yellow when ripe.They grow in muskegs & are hard to find as there's not many around.The Dene people call them muskeg berries.

Try this!

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/food.htm

Hard tack recipes is in here and how to use it.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Question Hijohned?...

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    This is a recipe thread, damn canucks... lol... how about a Moose meat recipe... lol
    seriously thoug I wanna try some moose meat.
    Ya, since sarge47 turned it into one, I guess...
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

Cool Never happen if I'm around, little lady!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    I don’t want to go alone into those deep dark woods
    No fear of that happening OwlGirl, if I'm anywhere near the far North woods! I'll even show you a few easy mushrooms in your hood, that you can eat safely. As you well know, sweet thing, it's ALL about the knowledge, when it comes to being in the bush. Lots of armchair experts waste time tellin' folks like you and me to stay away from mushrooms etc. etc. They'd rather stick to the negative side of life and try to tell you what they don't know for sure, than to hear what you DO know to be true.

People who have walked the walk and danced the dance of real-life woods living, know how to use as many natural food sources as are available in their immediate area, to the best of their advantage. Starving folks NEVER say, Ooouuww, I don't like mushrooms and frogs and stuff. When real starvation hits you, you would VERY likely eat a large bear or moose paddy and love it.

Don't let all the nay sayers get to you sweet missy, you and your partner are doing a swell job of being real up there and life-dancing in the North woods. That includes, your beliefs in eating any wild edible foods from your neck of the woods that you know to be so.

You know, I can't see these armchair experts and repeaters of bs, just walkin' by a whole whack of Chicken in the woods or Angel wings or Morels for that matter, and saying, oh no, I'd rather starve than waste my time on that dirty fungus...

Glad to hear you've tried to stick to the original subject matter as well, Owlgirl. Perhaps many could have learned a few new wild foods had most of these posts been about what I thought was an easy topic.

Oh well, I guess we do need a recipe thread started eh, sarge47? And a nutrition thread could even get a lot of arguments going about wasting our time while stranded in the woods along with another one about what NOT to eat out there to save you some time?

Chow,
    Have a super one...

larryb

Cool Here! Here!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    if i am in the woods i will eat mushrooms if any of you posers take the time to educate yourselves about wilderness survival you will learn quickly about five or six mushrooms that are easily identifiable and will help keep you alive food in the stomach will give you energy to keep going. honestly some of you need to get in some dirt time and educate yourselves.

always be prepared..
    Here, Here, my Man Wareagle! Well spoken sir buddyman! That makes at least three of us now that aren't afraid to step-up for what is real...
    Reality Rules!
    Have a super one...

larryb

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Borelli View Post
    juniper berries, prickly pear cactus fruits, hunnysuckle, leeks
    Awesome! Thank You Borelli for bringing this thread back to where it belongs! You're a man with his head screwed on right. I like your wild food choices too.

Peace!
    Have a super one...

larryb

birch and pine tea.
    The sweet serenity of the wilderness, the only place someone can know everything about everything

Talking

dude, i like to roast me up some wild onions! thats the best stuff when your feelin hungry. down here in the south we got tons of those growin back by the creek, and they are strong, oderwise.

also i like to munch on violet wood sorrel.

I ran across these recipes and had never heard them. Something else I'll have to try.

Blackberry Tea

Pick the blackberry leaves and dry them.
    When you want to make tea, just crumble a couple of teaspoons of leaves
    to one cup of boiling water.
    Steep for five to ten minutes, and you have blackberry tea.

PINE-APPLE BEER

1 pineapple
    Water
    Sugar

Wash and then pare a pine-apple; if a good size, put the rind into about two quarts of water (in the quantity you must be guided by the size of the pine-apple); cover it for twenty-four hours; then sweeten to your taste, bottle, cork, and put it into the sun for five or six hours, cool it and it is then fit for use.
    From The Carolina Housewife by Sarah Rutledge, 1847

SPRUCE AND BONESET BEER

1/2 c. hops
    1/2 c. boneset
    Water
    1 tbs. essence of spruce
    Sugar, molasses or other sweetener

Boil a small handful each of hops and boneset for an hour or two, in a pailful of water; strain it, and dilute it with cold water till it is of the right strength. Add a small table-spoonful of essence of spruce*, sweeten, ferment and bottle it.
    The essences of hops, checkerberry, ginger, and spruce, put into warm water in suitable proportions, then sweetened, fermented and bottled, make good beer.
    From The Young Housekeeper's Friend by Mrs. [M. H. ] Cornelius, 1863.

*Essence of Spruce is made by taking the tender new-growth tips off branches of either spruce or balsam fir trees and soaking them in water or molasses until the flavor is absorbed into the liquid. Strain and save the liquid for use in recipes such as these.

MAPLE BEER

4 gallons water, boiled
    1 qt. maple syrup
    1 tbs. essence of spruce
    1 pint homemade yeast, or 2 packets or cakes commercial yeast

To four gallons of boiling water, add one quart of maple syrup and a small table-spoonful of essence of spruce. When it is about milk warm, add a pint of yeast; and when fermented, bottle it. In three days it is fit for use.
    From The Young Housekeeper's Friend by Mrs. [M. H. ] Cornelius, 1863.
    Last edited by Rick; 02-09-2008 at 07:13 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

O.o I like the pineapple one Rick

Thanks A Lot
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

i am new sow I dont now long this talk as bin going on but I like to eat shoe sting snard rabbit and sourdok and boild powk

Do you use a shoe string to snare them?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

yes boy scouts 1o1 if you have it on you find a way to use it o by the way sasafras tea is good to
    Last edited by launchpad; 02-28-2008 at 03:59 PM.

This list isn't just mine, but as my wife grew up in the country side of Korea, some of it is hers as well.

Wild grapes
    Wild grape leaves (steamed)
    Wild grape stem inner core (boiled)
    Cat Tail
    wapato (a bit strong)
    wild sage
    sea lettuce
    Large of tender wild grasses (steamed)
    Wild rice
    Palmetto leaf inner core
    termites
    Sugar ants
    Snake
    Turtle
    early spring fiddle heads
    Brown sea kelp
    Sassafras Root, Bark, Leaf
    Dandelion
    Red clover
    Pine needles
    Pine Nuts
    Oak Nuts
    California Ice Plant leaflet cored
    Prickly Pear
    All kinds of rodents (rats, mice, rabbits, squirrels, Guinea pigs, bats (very hard to catch))
    fish
    frogs
    birds (any size)
    snails
    Inner cores from many wild vines
    Wild berries
    Powdered dried earthworms make a great broth thickener that's high in protein

Now I'm hyngry,... I think I'll go and forrage in my back yakd for a while.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    Try this!

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/food.htm

Hard tack recipes is in here and how to use it.

Don
    I just made some whole wheat hardtack yesterday and vacuum sealed it today. Though the stuff usually lasts a long time, I rotate it every year in the emergency bags in our vehicles. I tossed some flax seed in this year.

Hi LarryB. Hundred choices around here. This time of year I like to enjoy the fresh stuff. lots of spring greens, a salad of violets, chickweed, and wintercress or watercress is a nice combo. The mildness of the violets and cress combined with the earthy flavor of the chickweed is a favorite. I also like some of the flower choices, throwing in some eastern redbud or whaterever is at hand.

Thumbs up Hi there

My name is Timbo. I live in the UK although I've camped all over the world. I have bought a few woods to share with friends in the Uk - so we can camp without someone trying to stop our fun.

Really like this site...some good advice - although we don't have all the plants you guys have.

Timbo
    http://owningyourownwood.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Rick; 05-31-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Timbo - Welcome to the forum. I repaired your link. Hence, the reason for the edit in your post.

References to your web site need to be placed in your signature rather than the email. That is actually better for you in that it will appear in all your posts. The forum doesn't allow you to post links to your own site in the body of an email.