Thread: Hello from NE Indiana

Cool Hello from NE Indiana

Wanting to get a kit together so I can start hiking 😎

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

"Hiking" is a pretty generic term.

Are you talking about a day hike, an overnight weekend expedition, or are you going for the "Triple Crown"?

It can cost you anything from free, using the stuff around the house, to "OMG what was I thinking!"

I always like to point new hikers to Grandma Gatewood to show what can be dome with none of the fancy gear we have available today. All you really need is two good feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

When I was a kid all we did was hike. Kit was a pocket knife and a fishing pole, maybe some matches if we could get them on the sly (since we weren't supposed to play with fire). Maybe a canteen (Army surplus).

Alan

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm in Colorado. If I plan to be gone for more than a few minutes, no matter how sunny it is, I carry rain gear. I'm the winter, it might be warm when I start out but I'll have a sweater, at least. Weather reports? Don't be funny.

I keep a few essentials in my backpack. I have a heart condition so I take aspirin. I've never had to use it. I assume that might run into someone that needs help and that I might be out later than usual, so I carry my head light. I do lifelong learning on the trail so I'm rigged for equipment.
    My phone wallet has a pen, stylus, flashlight, pad, card sized multi tool, magnifier, and (of course, my vaccination papers in case I run into the dog catcher).
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    "Hiking" is a pretty generic term.

Are you talking about a day hike, an overnight weekend expedition, or are you going for the "Triple Crown"?

It can cost you anything from free, using the stuff around the house, to "OMG what was I thinking!"

I always like to point new hikers to Grandma Gatewood to show what can be dome with none of the fancy gear we have available today. All you really need is two good feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood
    Day hiking. Hit the trails in the morning, and don't return home until it starts getting dark.