Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info on the H&R/NEF 45/410 survivor????

Cool info on the H&R/NEF 45/410 survivor????

been eyeblling these lately, i reload 45colt anyhow , as with 410 shotshells, seems to be a nice JIC piece to have around? anyone shot them .have one had one? any accucuacy from the 45colt barrel with no sights except the shotgun bead? thanks!!

I have a Handi Rifle that I added the .45/.410 barrel to, but doesn't have the cool cut down survivor stock, barrel is rifled and does have the 'shot straightener tube (looks like choke tube).
    So .45 is fired without the tube, .410 is fired with if you want any kind of pattern....much like the "Judge" variations, as the rifling tends to not pattern well.

So as far accuracy goes, you are not gonna hold a 2" in group at 100 yards, but will hit a target pretty regular.

A compromise, will work in both modes, but not the top performer in either mode.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How close can you hold the 100 yard group Hunter?

6", 12", 18"??

Would you consider it more of a 50 yard game getter?

Does the .45 hold a better group with bullets than the .410 does with slugs at 25-50 yards?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

100 yd group in in the 12 or a little smaller range,.... Min of paper plate.....been a while since I even tried it that far, and i was free-handing it, I guess off a rest might be closer, and yes 50 yds is a LOT more consistent, in the 2-3' range.....not a varmint rifle but will shoot well enough to get game.

Never really compared slugs with the .45 lc....They were illegal here for a long time, so don't have many of them left, and with the .45 not much point.

In theory,..... this is a great combination, deer +/- or birds.......BUT you can't/shouldn't shoot .45/slugs with the tube, and the pattern suffers without the tube.
    Still a valuable, handy, do everything tool, for those that want to expand the tasks that a single firearm can do, you just have to use it properly, at a reasonable price.

Okay, I just have to ask. What is the huge craze about .45LC and .410 from the same gun? A pistol is designed to do one thing, a shotgun yet another. When you combine the two, it can "work", but neither will be great. If you want a great shooting .45LC, go get one. Want a good hunting .410, go get one. But if you get a gun to do both, don't expect a miraculous outcome!

Just to put my thoughts in perspective, the toilet and the drinking fountain are both great. I just don't think they should be combined!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Everyone has a shotgun, a rifle, and pistol......How many times can you repeat that with out looking for something different? (wait, wait don't answer that, LOL)

So you come out with something different so people have something to "add" to the collection ( I mean, what is a .17 cal over .22 mag? or in my case a .204 Ruger)........so they convince them selves that this will do both jobs, and does, but not in the way they think.....It's more of a wish, than a fact.
    Called marketing.

toilet fountain.jpg

Marketing.......I see.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    toilet fountain.jpg

Marketing.......I see.
    You got'er nailed......

I like the over under type rifles. To me that is truly the best of both worlds for a combo gun. And they can be very accurate. I have never liked combo guns with one barrel!
    I would love to have a .22 mag over a 20 gauge over under rifle, now that would be a nice combination that could be used on many types of game!

I agree, now I'm having to make up my mind between a .22 lr over 20 ga, camper version (shorter) vs .22mag over 20 ga (longer)....It's always something.

Many folks do not realize that the very first long gun chambered for the .22 mag in 1959 was the Savage 24 in .22 mag over .410.

They realized it was an ideal survival combination. .22 mag over 20 would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Many folks do not realize that the very first long gun chambered for the .22 mag in 1959 was the Savage 24 in .22 mag over .410.

They realized it was an ideal survival combination. .22 mag over 20 would be even better.
    You know, I didn't know that I was thinking it had been around alot longer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Win...Magnum_Rimfire

Quote>
    The .22 WMR operates at pressures beyond what normal blowback actions typically handle. It first appeared in the Savage Model 24 combination rifle, followed by Winchester's own Model 61. A number of single-shots and repeaters were offered in .22WMR, and the self-loading Jefferson Model 159.[2] Until the 1990s, most .22 WMR firearms were bolt action rifles.< QUOTE

Good friend had .22 mag SS bolt rifle sold by Herters, don't know who made it, back in the '60, with a big scope as a back up. I was amazed at some of the shots he made with it...that had to be in 1961-0r '62....and that makes sense... as he always had the newest and best-est gear?
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-12-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added link.

BTW, The Rossi Circirt Judge is a revolver rifle and is in the .45lc/.410 as well, and same rules apply with the 'straighting tube"
    http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=15

thanks for the info, thats where i was sort of stuck on, yuall sort of made it more clear i guess

I'm here because of the 4 ?'s
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I agree WildThing. I like over under combos, but when to different cals share one barrel, neither cal is worth a darn. I also like you 20ga over .22wmr. Definately a value there!

when i was 14 i had a savage 24 22/20 ga what a fun game getter i walked with it on 20ga and now and then id catch a rabbit sittin lookin at me, and just clis it to 22 and pop dead bunny yes they are a sweet outfit, wieght is there only down fall id say

Do they still make the .22 WMR over 20ga over unders? I would really like to have one!

We just did that one a couple of months ago WT.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-42-22-410-O-U
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.

This is a nice looking gun. I am not sure if they offer it in .22 cal, but I would still like to have one! It is a Remininton SPR94. I think Ole Hunter needs to buy one of these and do a range test for us, I dare ya buddy

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-15-2012 at 05:55 PM.