Thread: Best method to store pre cooked and raw foods for longevity ?

Default Best method to store pre cooked and raw foods for longevity ?

Hi Everyone..........I'm just looking into food storage and how best to go about it, is one way better than the other or is it a combination situation where its best to dehydrate then vacuum pack ?
    If i can get safe food for a year then I'm good as we can always re stock after going off grid for a while, I'm in France and its getting close to where no jabs means no health passport which means no shopping, so we are preparing to take off in an RV and stay out of it as long as possible, I'm thinking that although we have a refrigerator it might not be for long as one gas runs out the solar will struggle to keep up, so want to look at food preservation without a refrigerator just incase !
    Its a total **** show but we need to try do something and prep for the worse case between now and January.
    Any advice will be taken that's relevant....we are just a couple, no kids to worry about, I will fish and bow hunt when possible but looking at that as bonus food rather than survival, occasional forage but basic knowledge so will stick to what i know.
    Thanks in advance guys.

Fox Lover

As for raw meat, if you like jerky, the best way would be to smoke it and dry it out. Jerky lasts a long time, otherwise you could salt it (which would also make it taste like ****. For fruits, usually canning it (if you do it properly and have jars on you) will preserve it for a long time. That's as far as my knowledge goes, but I hope I helped a little.

I do feel bad for your situation. The protest there have been pretty bad. I assume you have fishing and hunting licenses and plan to obey the laws for both. Being arrested for poaching and leaving your wife to fend for herself or, worse, having her arrested too, would be pretty bad.

You don't say what equipment you have for food preparation. You can, of course, dehydrate in an oven, but do you have a vacuum sealer or a canner?

Here is a link to some information on drying food. It is an excellent source and has great information: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/dry/pack_store.html

Canning is, of course, another alternative, as is purchasing freeze dried foods that simply need water.

You can also do these same preps and stay home in an environment you are familiar with and not have to worry about purchasing petrol or figuring out where you are going to stay.

Thank you zippywoop1 and Rick.....Valid and welcome points raised guys , I dont mind jerky and may well try my hand at making some and would certainly buy some as stock items to take with us.
    We intend to buy a dehydrator and vacuum sealer , thanks for the link Rick....regarding staying home and not having issues with gas and travel, long story but in a nutshell the constant oppression of the government has led to a pretty extensive Resistance movement, the French have History for this ;-) ....its manifesting in variuos ways but one of which so far as concerns us is the development of listings of various small business's that are non compliant, meaning they will continue to trade with everyone, jabbed or not, at the moment there are not many in our department but if we move about we can find many...so thats kind of the plan sitting here today :-)...until we hit the road we just continue gathering info :-)

I bought a vacuum sealer around 3 months ago.i love it.but yet I figure, there's always a possibility we won't have electricity.more so after what took place back in February here in Texas.so I need to get back onto home canning.i also bought a dehydrator.in which I need to start using it. In which I'm thinking jerky.the storage containers for the vacuum sealers is another good idea I have some.i can use them to marinate meats.or vacuum seal what I put into them..
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

Well since you are a foreigner, I am going to suggest something that most people in USA do not do, Fermenting. Fermented fish is a very popular dish in numerous countries. But, it is definitely an acquired taste. Of all my family and friends that have ever tried some of my fermented foods, only my Uncle enjoyed it with me.

I also enjoy fermented pork, and bean curd, cabbage, cucumbers, etc.

Salted fish last a really long time when it is also dehydrated.

The only fermented meat I've tried was fish. Or fish gelatin as it were. Dried/ salted fish? Yeah sure. Rotten fish gelatin? Nope. Nasty.
    The Japanese make a super salty fermented fish that's highly prized. If I ever get a chance I might try that. But I doubt I could afford it.

Sometimes it might be prudent to NOT eat the fish.......or open the can.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OMG! I was laughing so hard I think I peed a little.

I think I just found the first fall camp of the Kracaneuner Tribe's Challenge.👹

Haha! Reminds me of a Monty Python skit!
    Sometimes I wander because I’m lost

Quote Originally Posted by zippywoop1 View Post
    As for raw meat, if you like jerky, the best way would be to smoke it and dry it out. Jerky lasts a long time, otherwise you could salt it (which would also make it taste like ****. For fruits, usually canning it (if you do it properly and have jars on you) will preserve it for a long time. That's as far as my knowledge goes, but I hope I helped a little.
    Thanks for this good information.

ok Crash now you got me curious... What was the fish they were attempting to eat?

I am not squeamish when it comes to exotic foods, I have tried a lot of unusual foods, pig's & cow's: ear, tongue, brain, stomach, feet, intestine, duck's tongue (ironically it has like either bone or cartilage in it), fermented fish, fermented bean curd, Stinking Bishop Cheese (far more potent then Limburger Cheese), Blue Cheese, 100 year old Duck egg (its what its called not how old it is)

BUT

When it comes to fish, well that can put a grown macho man heaving in the backyard. Some of them I can handle, but like fermented Mackerel just makes me gag & turn green. But with that said, I have never seen that kind of reaction before.

That's it. I couldn't remember the name of it.

Best way to preserve meat, fowl or fish is on the hoof or in the water... Salt is one of the hardest things to come by if there's not a store handy. Drying/smoking those things is infinitely better, easier, and less messy than fermenting. Easier to transport too. And then most importantly, there is that moment when it must be eaten. It does no good to eat something that will likely poison you even if you upchuck it... If I recall there are some issues with smoking/drying freshwater fish also, but my remembering part of my brain is getting rusty these days...

Alan

food storage is important for times when no refrigeration is available. combining dehydrating and vacuum packing can be an effective way to preserve food for longer periods of time. Preparing now, before Jan, will help you and your partner be better prepared in case of the worst-case scenario. involving fishing and bow hunting as bonus food sources, but stay knowledgeable in what you do know best.

Best means to store food would be buying one of those Freeze- Dehydrating machines. Costs a pretty penny though, and unless you are planning to run it 24/7 7 days a week, otherwise it may not be as cost effective, (considering flipping the bill for the machine $$$$) But if you are doing this daily, you will see the savings then buying those freeze dried foods from places like Mountain house