Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Since I am already at where you guys with the Bug Ot Bags can only hope to get, I installed a new wood stove on the back porch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cast-ir...ove-32058.html

Caught it on sale and had a 20% cupon so I escaped for only $130.

It is already set up and has the stink burned off of it. Ready for heavy duty marshmellow/hot dog roasting and coffee perking. It can also be pulled in the house and hooked to the flue for inside heat if necessary.
    That's a great little stove and what an awesome deal you got on it!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

deleted...
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I put the scope on my .223 vamint gun. Ready for long range zombie hunting now!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    deleted...
    Why

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Cause if I told you Crash would send people wearing black hoods and kelvar to my house!

Just kidding..

Yea, right...

hey look, puppies...

Truth is, I thought I was on another thread and the deleted post made me look crazier than normal.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Practiced fly fishing. I need waders, and I still suck at casting.

Got stuck at work for 14 hours, but did get in a shipment of 6 Victorinox spirit mulitools, 20 more buckets with gamma seals, which will be packed tomorrow with groats and rice that have been waiting in bags for the buckets.

Making a sh*tload of charcloth, that's what i did this week
    Heading "Into the wild" by May 2013
    Follow me at http://thedutchhermit.blogspot.nl/

Thee are those who would say "If I told you. I would have to kill you!" but I would not say that!

Well, since August I have picked up another Randall knife, #16. Ordered and received 1k of 10mm ammo, 10 Beretta 96 HI-Cap mags, several other HI-Cap mags, still on order, 1k of 9mm +p+ ammo. Gonna hit the gun show this weekend and see what all is still available at a reasonable price. Have several handguns that I am not shooting, gonna see what I can get in trade.
    For those who fight for it, Life has a special flavor the protected never know.... Khe Sahn "68" Unknown Marine

I revised my winter survival bags for the vehicles. Changed out some hotties hand warmers, added some wool clothing and checked the bunny boots over for any problems. Added some wool gaitors to both bags.

I also gave all my kids first aid kits this Christmas. It's the same kit I've posted on a couple of times. Pretty robust with a lot of gear. I also gave them instructions to take a first aid class or refresher class, whichever applied, so they would know how to use the stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Last weekend I decided to go through my car kit and my day hiking kit. In the process I discovered my day hike kit had no secondary water purification (I use a Sawyer SP121 inline filter on my camelbak most of the time, but anything can fail), it was missing a AAA battery to back up my Fenix LD01, and I found my car kit lacking a heat source despite having a bottle of chicken bullion cubes that would sure taste better with hot water. All easy cures, but a good reminder that kits need to be checked out from time to time for missing items.

BTW, it's been a while since I've been around, but as I'm planning a through-hike of the Colorado Trail next summer, I'll likely be poking around here more often again.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

I've been experimenting with thermos bottle cooking for a while. Soups, stews, steel cut oats and pasta have all turned out very tasty.

I got a food dehydrator for Xmas and it is great. So far this week, I've dried some veggies for future soups or stews, made 2 batches of ground beef jerky and best of all, so far, turned a slimy ol' pike into fantastic fish jerky.

Between the dehydrator, vacuum sealer, and the thermos bottle experiments, I've got lots to keep me occupied on cold days..

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I got my first pair of cheaters. Does that count? I'll be able to read all these new survival books I just got. *hanging head
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Shot a hog two days ago, 200lbs gutted, now I have the flu and my wife is all wigged out that it is the swine flu. She really isnt all that worried about me she is thinking that she is next and some mention about cross species infection as she worries that I have infected the dogs. No amount of reasoning has yet to prevail so I am humbly taking the blame. Happy new year.
    Whether due to rain, river, or snow, blood, sweat, or tears it is usually easier to stay dry than to get dry.

I rearranged my work shop and wired in my new welder the girls got me for Christmas. I went through a lot of ols boxes and found many things that will come in useful. I bet I found 30 pounds of nuts, bolts, washers, wood screws, sheet metal screws, and drill bits. I have wondered where they were for the last five years.
    My shop is finally organized the way I want it, and it is one of my main preps. Having a shop with the tools and materials to darn near fix anything is a handy thing to have when the Chit hits the fan!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I rearranged my work shop and wired in my new welder the girls got me for Christmas. I went through a lot of ols boxes and found many things that will come in useful. I bet I found 30 pounds of nuts, bolts, washers, wood screws, sheet metal screws, and drill bits. I have wondered where they were for the last five years.
    My shop is finally organized the way I want it, and it is one of my main preps. Having a shop with the tools and materials to darn near fix anything is a handy thing to have when the Chit hits the fan!
    Just make sure you don't do a Kyr and make a new floor covering with them!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Ordered a dozen more Beretta 96 mags, another HI-Cap drum for an important prep to be put back. Revising my vehicle bags for colder temps, got the Hummer H2 back, back window exploded for some reason coming home the other nite. Looked like something was shot at it or thrown at it; due the impact point on the outside of the window, but this was in the middle of nowhere coming home on a deserted road. Very strange.... Have since varied my routes coming home for the past week to see if I am being followed or what. Got both of my daughters to get their Lifetime Gun Permits and will be working with them to get them the weapons that they feel comfortable shooting and carrying before too long. Prepping is never done...
    For those who fight for it, Life has a special flavor the protected never know.... Khe Sahn "68" Unknown Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I will try no to pull a Kyrat with all of my new found nuts and bolts

Bought a Savage Axis .308 + Tasco 3x-9x + 200 rounds (as if that would last). Dug up several Greenbrier roots and I must say, I've never found a bigger one. This thing was about 2 ft across.

greenbrier.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images