Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Assistance Sought: Gerber BMF and original LMF Knives

You could all post the pics for the rest of us to see.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

bmf2 004.jpgbmf2 006.jpg Sorry It took so long to get to you Nighteyes. I was gone over the holidays.

One other thing to note about this Gerver BMF is it has an 8 inch instead of the 9 inch.

nighteyes,
    i would like to question your rarest variant bmf knife. yes the middle sawback in picture is the rarest of the sawbacks, but my records (going off memory) spans 2k serial numbers. i also have had 5 non sawback bmf variants which includes the cs (cutlery shoppe). please do not correct my grammar, i missed that day in school. i believe the rarest bmf would be the 8 inch sawback without teeth. unfortunately i can not access my records on my flash drive do to now owning mac's. i will have to see if i could down load a program or try at work. i have many pictures and data base with serial numbers and condition as most of my records are from ebay. 089.jpg078.jpg077.jpg076.jpg
    some pictures of the knives i have minus the cutlery shoppe mark (sold)
    nighteyes, it is nice to know im not the only bmf, lmf sicko out there

okay,
    backing my memory up with pictures. i have about 350 pictures with serial numbers (bmf and lfm). i used serial numbers for the .jpg identification. here are the 8 inch sawback with rounded edge by the tang. serials span over 2k.

bmf 027246.jpgbmf 029655.jpg i have many others of this variant in between and my flow chart has more than what i have in pictures. (when i get it open)

wow,
    i have seven non sawback variants on record, first will be 3 variations of the 8 inch.

bmf 008433.jpgbmf 023744.jpgbmf 030028.jpg

2 variations of the 9 inch.

bmf 026131.jpgbmf 046897.jpg

2 variations of the first produced 9 inch, cutlery shoppe originally advertised as the predator as seen in the above add from a magazine.

bmf CS0115.jpgbmf CS0503.jpg

my brother bought his first bmf in 87-88. he sold it to me about 1-2 years later because he needed the money. the running joke was he had to sell his survival knife to survive. i have to guess it was 2002-03 when he told me how much they were selling for on the bay. i listed it and he saw it. well, he seemed bummed about it and i removed it. on the positive, i started collection gerber knives at that point. i could never find and data on the bmf and lmf's like you could on other military style gerbers. so, i started at a time i had more time than money. now i have neither (kids) gotta love em though. so daniel, finding your post lights an old flame. until tonight. i thought i was the only one who thought of doing this.

thanks, and i will return.

by the way, i gave that knife back to my brother for christmas about 5 years ago and he has still has it today. complete and original.
    Last edited by 6p4hemi; 01-10-2013 at 04:00 AM.

i read in a magazine that the bottom non-sawback knife was made per request and would be or could be collectable at the time of production. i also read that only a couple hundred were made in that variation. other than proto types and the two others with serial numbers you have info on, my belief was that this was the least produced production knife.

078.jpg

all my info is from memory or these pictures i could access. i will have to find these magazines to properly quote from them.
    Last edited by 6p4hemi; 01-12-2013 at 05:12 AM.

daniel,
    could you give me the lowest and highest serial number of the knife that you have record of the sawback cut blade without teeth.
    thanks,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma cowboy View Post
    One other thing to note about this Gerver BMF is it has an 8 inch instead of the 9 inch.
    Yes, it does. The way the false edge was cut into the blade told me that. And I picked up the S/N from eBay. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6p4hemi View Post
    i read in a magazine that the bottom non-sawback knife was made per request and would be or could be collectable at the time of production. i also read that only a couple hundred were made in that variation. other than proto types and the two others with serial numbers you have info on, my belief was that this was the least produced production knife.
    6p4hemi,

My data (which includes, btw, several pre-production prototypes) strongly suggests differently. Would love to see/examine your data once you regain access to it.

Have now also identified what may be the rarest sheath -- one with the Silver-on-Black logo and ALICE clips. Out of 450 or so examples, have only come across four of 'em. Preliminary data suggests they are "scattered" across the more-or-less simultaneous logo transition (Gold-on-Black to Silver-on-Black), and clip transition (from two ALICE clips to one Bianchi clip).

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 01-29-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6p4hemi View Post
    daniel,
    could you give me the lowest and highest serial number of the knife that you have record of the sawback cut blade without teeth.
    thanks,
    john
    John,

Will be happy to comply, once I understand the specifics of your question. "Sawback cut blade without teeth" seems, to me at least, to be a contradiction in terms.

-- N.E.

Folks,

The Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy really got to me, in a way that nothing else has done before. As a result I have been extremely upset/angry, to the point that I have said some things on this Forum that perhaps I should not have said. The technical term is "displaced emotion" -- there being no more suitable target, I dumped them here. Please understand that my problem hasn't anything to do with any of you.

I'm voluntarily withdrawing from these boards - at least for a while.

-- Nighteyes

Mad Max

Thumbs up Bmf & lmf

Hi Nighteyes

Even I live on the other side of the big pond (Denmark), this forum trigged me to join in.
    I´ve been collecting knifes and bayonets the last 35 years. Gerber and Anton Wingen Bowies are my favorites.
    My BMF has the non sagged blade with serial # 046671, Compass marked: Silva Type 12 Sweden, Diamond stone on the back, sheet with yellow writing. Knife was bought 1993/94 in Norway, to be used as a hunting/outdoor knife.
    My LMF has the same type of blade Serial # 044920, sheet with yellow writing. Bought in Denmark 1994/95. If you need more info, just let me know.
    Unfortunatly my pictures seems to large (MBit) to fill in here, but if you are interested and have a e-mail address, I can send some.
    Have a good one.
    Cheers
    Mad Max
    Last edited by Mad Max; 02-19-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Wrong year of purchase

Daniel, I own 9 BMFs, one of each model, plus a couple of duplicates. However,there was in fact, a SEVENTH, BMF. I own one. It was marketed as the "Predator". It has the 9 inch blade, no saw teeth, and, NO top blade guard, instead, has 1.5 inches of gimping. The serial number on mine is stamped, CS0216. I bought it in the mid-80s from The Cutlery Shoppe, in Boise, Idaho. I heard that the "CS" stood for Cutlery Shoppe, but I have never confirmed that. I hope this bit of info helps, and not add to any confusion. The BMF is a great knife, and a beautiful design. It's too bad Gerber stopped production. Yours truly, Eric.

sometime in the early 80's I bought a BMF from a neighbor who worked in the gerber factory. I told him what I wanted and the next day he brought me a BMF without sawteeth w/sheath. $80.oo (wish I had bought 10 of them now). it has serial # 010819 it has a silver Gerber logo on the sheath. A silva starter compass (sweden) and brown stitching on the top of the sheath. This knife has been used for carving up many elk and deer. I find it a valuable tool in the field and will not part with it. The blade is 7 3/4" from hilt to tip and has developed a light mottle from minor rust (never store in the sheath) I now oil it well with sticky chain lube and wrap it in a heavy MRE bag for storage. hope this helps bugeater

I have an LMF, if anyone is interested...

If you mean you'd like to sell it that's not allowed on the forum until you have a minimum number of posts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Daniel Nighteyes and Eric the Red,
    I own a BMF knife serial number CS0141 and it is as Eric has described. No saw back but about 1.5 inches of gimping, probably for thumb grip while cutting. It has a sheath with no Gerber logo on the front and a stamped Gerber logo on the back.
    The overall length is 14 9/16 inches with an 8 7/8 inch blade. I bought it in Taos, NM in the mid to late 1980s.
    It is in excellent condition.
    AYBABTU

Hi Guys, a newbie here from the UK. I saw this thread and had to register and reply. I have an early BMF Predator, purchased brand new here in the UK in the mid 1980s. The knife has had very little use and is of the same type described by 'Eric the Red' above. Mine has the serial number CS0188. It didn't come with a compass and has no logo on the front of the sheath. It still has the diamond sharpening stone attached to the rear of the sheath. The serial number is very close to Erics too. I hope this information is of interest. Please PM me if you'd like me to send some pictures. All the best.