Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first choice?

Default Your first choice?

Ok The scenario is this:
    You are out on the lake by yourself. You are alone with your thoughts when bang! you hit a dead head! Your boat is filling with water fast and you need to get out! There is shore about 400m away where as the nearest house is out of site.

You make it onto the shore and rest for a bit. It will take you 1/2 a day to walk to your rescue but it is already 4:30 and you dont want to walk through the dark.

You decide to set up camp for the night and because you are drenching wet you need to dry off by starting a fire which is no problem since you have a match and bunch of softwood all around. Now the only thing left is food, your energy is
    low from the swim and boat ride.

What is your first choice for food? And how is that obtained?
    Last edited by Tracker; 01-10-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: forgot a part

when bang! you hit a dead head!
    What is Jason Montana doing in the middle of the lake????

Now the only thing left is food, your energy is low from the swim and boat ride.

What is your first choice for food? And how is that obtained?
    I'm not concerned with food. If I'm a bit tired after a 400 meter swim, I'm going to rest a bit to regain my energy. If I'm spending the night, in addition to the fire to dry my cloths (it accomplishes much more) I'm going to focus on shelter. Remember - I know where I am, and plan on walking out in the morning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

1st, I never go out into the wild without an MRE in one of the cargo pockets of my BDU's, which is what I always wear in the outdoors.

2nd, if I don't have an MRE then, like Crash says, I don't worry about food, I can go days without eating if I have to, & you said I'm only 12 hours away from rescue.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Crash, Jason is standing on top of his sled whistling for his dogs!!!!!!!

As said rest, shelter for the night and walk out tomorrow.

I get to eat that can of sardines I put in my pack
    Last edited by tsitenha; 01-10-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Crash, Jason is standing on top of his sled looking for his dogs!!!!!!!
    I thought he was headed to the Dead concert.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I’d eat that dead head, as long is he isn’t to rotten, ummm brains…
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WAhhh look at the dent in that head....Jasons going to be madddd.

Run, Crash, for the love of God runnnnnnnnn
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

all im trying to ask was what is your first choice when you are looking for food? I was just thinking of more creative way to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    all im trying to ask was what is your first choice when you are looking for food? I was just thinking of more creative way to say that.
    Cool. Now that I understand what you're looking for....I would try several methods, expending the least amount of energy possible (no point in using more than you will gain). Not sure what "stuff" you want me to have, so I'll go with what I usually have in my pockets. I'll set some snares, make a fish wier, set up a trot line, look for some wild edibles (my knowledge of wild edibles is not that strong).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Start by scanning the waters edge for cattail,if its there you'll see it right away,and since most of the plant is edible,not much energy is spent gathering it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Cattail is one that I (I think everybody) am familiar with...good stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yup.can't go wrong with cattail.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

ya that is what i would tend to do, depending on the season i would get some cattail and eat the parts in season, as well i would probably set some pencil snares, i find them the most effective.

Default fish dipper

Yes, cattails for sure. Water lily roots too. If the lake was clear enough you may see minnows near shore. Set up a fish dipper with a tripod and a long pole, T-shirt and cordage. Toss some grass seeds or other stuff out or spit in the water for bait, push down on the lever and take the fish out of the shirt. If there was a creek nearby and you found an eddy you could dip there and probably catch all you could eat. It depends on how clear the creek or lake is and what spot you pick. We've caught lots of them, at times, with a towel and two people. Shallow creeks are easier to find minnows and crawfish. Sometimes there's duck eggs.....it's best if you can tell the difference between a fresh egg or an old one...haha. I've ate all of them, but the only ones I enjoyed were the raw duck eggs (and turtle eggs).

Blog Entries

Again, another scenario with limited information.

What time of the year?

Is it cold, below 32 F?

Are you duck hunting in the cold, if so, you will die. Is it summer and hot, spring and cool, is the water cold enough to cause hypothermia?

If you are freezing cold and wet, and already suffering from hypothermia, try to make a fire.

Do you have life preservers?

When you were in the boat, what were you doing, fishing, going for a row, hunting, or just floating.

Is it a river with an undertow?

Is it a lake?

How much energy did you use on the swim in.

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Did I have any fish in the boat? Frogs around the lake? Are the Morals out yet? Don't forget my MRE! So, okay then, now how far are we from rescue? Anything over 72 hours is pretty unrealistic given the scenario you just laid out! However, I'd never get into a boat without a waterproof floating bag of stuff, including food. The bag would be tied to my belt with 550 cord & could be towed along with me. Again, it's a dumb Question.
    BTW, what do you want to snare pencils for? Aren't they hard to dress out?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-11-2009 at 01:33 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

What time of the year?

Is it cold, below 32 F?

Are you duck hunting in the cold, if so, you will die. Is it summer and hot, spring and cool, is the water cold enough to cause hypothermia?

If you are freezing cold and wet, and already suffering from hypothermia, try to make a fire.

When you were in the boat, what were you doing, fishing, going for a row, hunting, or just floating.

Is it a lake?

what region of the country, north, east,south,west, or any combination.?

a couple of things to pay attention to folks - he said open water 4;30 pm and you had to swim and don't want to walk in the dark so if its getting dark close to 4:30 then we assume it is fall you are wet and need to build a fire and get dry and to stay warm thru the night, second,is in all the open water that i have been to around ontario i have yet to see any cattails, lilly root yes, but no cattails they are more in swampy areas bogs marshes what have you, also if it is getting close to dark do you want to be foraging around and risk misidentification?
    tracker most of us here would have had a bag in the boat with at least 72 hours of food and a spcae blanket (large) i also have change of clothers in a water proof bag which also floats so i can just hang onto it and flutter kick my way in saves lots of energy, i personally only kayak or canoe can't stand them motorized gidgits(boats quads snowmachines)hard to be in touch with mnature on them loud stinking smelly foul things.
    but i hope the first part answered your questions, to the rst of you pay attention to the details, always makes me laugh when i see folks just type "well i'd start a fire go hunting and fishing and be great" ya ya thats allot easier said than done and if you are that good come up here to my place and i'll drop you off in the middle of a lake film ya swim back and get a fire going with enough wood for the night then let you film yourself all night after all that see if you have the engery to go foraging
    just keeping it real folks
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

What time of the year?

Is it cold, below 32 F?

Is it a lake?

frank i just stick with what he gave us, see my above post 4:30 and close to dark up here means fall, also good point on the PFD they are mandatory here in ontario
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com