Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Keyrings

Default Survival Keyrings

Hey everyone, thanks for accepting my request on here I am loving this forum. Soon I will be posting my own backyard recipes in the recipe section for you all to enjoy

I recently lost my keys and after going through the tiring task of getting a new key for the car, house, mail box and everything else it is now time for the more mundane tasks; getting my keyring back to how it was. I used to have a nice little survival keyring that I bought from an indiegogo thing a couple years ago but now the company is non existent so I am looking for a new survival keyring. I take my nephews out in the bush for some quad riding and tracking quite often and I work as a surveyor so I love to have tools on me at all times. The keyring I used to have had a little crowbar on it that was covered in para-rope; on the crowbar was a ruler and a flint so you had a nice little selection of emergency equipment. Can anyone recommend a brand or model of keyring that might be somewhat similar, or is it best to just check out the ones sitting by the tills in most stores? Thanks in advance everyone.

Considering everything that was said here I decided to get something simple. I ended up getting a used survival keyring that was on https://www.for-sale.ie/survival-keyring and was quite light while having a couple basic tools on it. There is a pill container with a mirror on the inside which I really like and also a whistle, that's pretty much it. I am going to get a ring that I can disconnect to put the truck key on as well. Thanks for all the advice gents.
    Last edited by BearGrills; 10-14-2017 at 12:06 AM.

I'm confused about this one. Two posts, and neither getting a response about an introduction. And some request has been accepted...waiting for some other shoe to drop.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Can't help you...don't think its a good idea...

The only key ring tool on my keys is a SAK Mini small blade, scissors tooth pick and tweezers......and I use "key rings" on cheap carabiners from HF....color coded for vehicle.

Don't like having all the stuff hanging down....too heavy.

Don't like keeping all my eggs in one basket...so is the separate "rings" have different groups of keys ....

DW keeps a set as well....and most all other sets are kept in each vehicle for cabin doors, sheds, trucks, boats, 4 wheelers, tractors etc.

Spare keys in wallet, or key code...spear in console.

WAY too many "Things" for one ring....Keys digs in my butt when I sitting down
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes we do have an intro section, you might want to visit down there and share.

My keys are on one of the afore mentioned carabiners and is clipped to my belt loop when not in the vehicle ignition and it is quite cluttered. I have the 'biner with a strap that holds the goodies and various vehicle key combinations get swapped about with the clip and strap as the basic carry unit.

Has a mini SAK, button compass, official sure-nuff BSA ferro rod and a metal combination pill canister/whistle that holds heart meds. That is besides the vehicle keys and door clicker.

Most used survival item of the bunch is the toothpick on the SAK. Occasionally I use the SAK knife blade to open mail when I check the mailbox. I can not imagine needing a prybar on a regular basis???

If you are out quadrunning with the kids you need a real kit! Something with a good first aid setup. You can get into real trouble fast on one of those things.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I do have a good kit in the truck as well as one on the back of my quad when I go out, this is more of an extra step I like to take. I actually got a decent amount of use from the little prybar, it was great for opening up things that needed to be worked on (even used it to take the back panel off my laptop once) but I guess I never really had any life saving experiences with it. I like the idea of having a pill canister on the keys, I am not currently on any medication but I have some family members that are.

I usually have a Leatherman on me or in the vehicles as well, just wanted to get something extra that I could always keep with me.

Will be posting in the intro section, should have done that first but I just got so excited reading some of the threads in here and then just posted without thinking. Sorry guys!

whats the admission of not any meds got to do with anything.

I dont think I can help you,
    other than a small flash light I dont keep things on key rings, weighs them down and causes issues like can break ignitions, or keys.. and unnecessary weight on keys.
    Mostly just take a knife and a lighter and a flash light every day, and serves for most purposes.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Being a redneck big key rings don't bother me I have my keys, ferro rod, micro flashlight, mini knife sharpener, pill capsule I usally keep folding money in it
    Semper Paratus

I don't keep survival gear on my key ring. My ignition appreciates it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use an edk. My ignition key on a keyring that disconnects from the other keyring. The other keyring has all the stuff. This setup doesn't add weight to the ignition if you disconnect the edc. It's worked well for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I use an edk. My ignition key on a keyring that disconnects from the other keyring. The other keyring has all the stuff. This setup doesn't add weight to the ignition if you disconnect the edc. It's worked well for a decade.
    That's a really good idea. Disconnect once the keys are in the ignition and then you still have all your tool and what not right there and not wearing on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Being a redneck big key rings don't bother me I have my keys, ferro rod, micro flashlight, mini knife sharpener, pill capsule I usally keep folding money in it
    and I am a south african from the eastrand of Johannesburg, which is pretty much the same thing. lol
    knife is go to tool for Most things, have a lighter.. have a flash light and a paracord bracelet.
    Pretty much have more on me than What I used on 72 hour and 48 hour solos.. and a little bit less than what I used for 7 days in the bush.
    works for me.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by BearGrills View Post
    That's a really good idea. Disconnect once the keys are in the ignition and then you still have all your tool and what not right there and not wearing on anything.
    My opinion only.
    Not for me it isn't......too easy to "Forget"
    The only time I take off the ignition keys off the key ring is when it's in the shop....

I am able and do. take them off...but the end up leaving the others somewhere...like maybe the refrigerator? or bathroom? or front seat......or wherever I put them down (or just ran away to hide)

I really hate the "Now where are my $%#&^%g keys this time....?"
    Seems to happen more and more these days....
    I guess a big wad of keys would be easier to find....but if you can't...think of all the stuff that you can't find either?

The key of a hassle free life is "consistency"......Keys on the same ring, stored in the same place, grouped for the same tasks.
    If more items are needed...they are carried in a pocket or pouch...

The whole idea of a survival keyring just seem silly to me....If you are in that much trouble....the stuff on most likely won't save you.
    THe idea of items on it being "Handy" is more likely the case.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-09-2017 at 04:30 PM.

What do you mean "that much trouble"?

You never know when you are going to get separated from the truck and lose your survival vest and the mini-kit on your belt and the knife and ferro-rod and survival tool in your wallet and have to depend on that little SAK, ferro rod, compass and whistle on the key chain to save the entire universe.

I have seen Will Crusher, Captain Kirk and McGyver do it many times with less than that!

Besides, the nitro inside the whistle is a "must carry" true survival item, and I use that toothpick on the SAK all the time as well as the fingernail file and small screwdrivers. It might as well be on the key ring as anywhere.

You guys with the ignition problems will find that they are usually restricted to Chevy products. They are famous for that problem.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-09-2017 at 04:29 PM.

I have one word. Key fob. Well, okay, that's two words but still.

Well yea!

But you have to have back up for the back up.

I know you have that knife case thing for your belt too, as well as the Altoids tin.

You guys remember when the survival necklaces were the fad?

All that crap hanging around your neck, that would have driven me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Well yea!

But you have to have back up for the back up.

I know you have that knife case thing for your belt too, as well as the Altoids tin.

You guys remember when the survival necklaces were the fad?

All that crap hanging around your neck, that would have driven me nuts.
    Or the walking stick kit...or gun stock kit....
    OR
    Just bring a BIC and SAK.

I dont know for me a small PSK is pretty useless.
    As long as I have a lighter and a knife and some cord and a container I can make it happen, have done so Many many many times, purposefully and not purposefully.

Most of the time if your stranded away from your car for like a day or 3 the most important thing I would say is a cell phone, and some money.
    If its in the bush a knife, some cord and something to make a fire with and something to hold water..
    in my climate that is enough for 72 hours in most weather.

I always advocate skills over gear, skills stay with you gear you can loose be separated from.

[QUOTE=Antonyraison;506581]I dont know for me a small PSK is pretty useless.
    As long as I have a lighter and a knife and some cord and a container I can make it happen, have done so Many many many times, purposefully and not purposefully.

Most of the time if your stranded away from your car for like a day or 3 the most important thing I would say is a cell phone, and some money.
    If its in the bush a knife, some cord and something to make a fire with and something to hold water..
    in my climate that is enough for 72 hours in most weather.

I always advocate skills over gear, skills stay with you gear you can loose be separated from.[/QUOTE

Agree 100% skills will win every time, always have paracord as boot laces, I always have a knife. Usally a lighter but that ferro rod on my key chain has saved my behind more than once. I can do bow drill if need to but it's not always 100% so I admit it I can make it easier I will
    Last edited by Graf; 10-10-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    Semper Paratus

I like that phone, hunter.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk