Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old mans beard

Default old mans beard

Does old mans beard grow in northern michigan? I think its also called usnea.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Been kinda looking for a map of the range where it grows....not much so far.

Have not seen anything like it in northern Wisconsin....or for tthat matter anywhere in WI.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Do you mean Clematis Vitalba?

@ Enigma - No. It's in the Usnea genus. It's a lichen that grows on the limbs of trees.

@ Hunter - I've never seen it in the wild around here. I've only seen it much further south from us. I think you have to get into Georgia maybe? I don't recall ever seeing it in Tennessee.

http://lichens.digitalmycology.com/m...ens/Usnea.html

It's common here in the swampy areas and along the coast where the trees live a hard life.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @ Enigma - No. It's in the Usnea genus. It's a lichen that grows on the limbs of trees.
    Prooved my point about using common names.

Clematis Vitalba is also "Old Man's Beard". Which one is correct?

Common names are not at all useful.

Seriously. Lighten up. That's your opinion. I had a hunch that you were just baiting with the Clematis toss out. You made your point, move on.

@ Hunter - I've never seen it in the wild around here. I've only seen it much further south from us. I think you have to get into Georgia maybe? I don't recall ever seeing it in Tennessee.

http://lichens.digitalmycology.com/m...ens/Usnea.html
    It does grow in GA, but is much more prevalent in the southern end of the state.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Seriously. Lighten up. That's your opinion. I had a hunch that you were just baiting with the Clematis toss out. You made your point, move on.
    Not baiting anyone Rick. I don't need to 'bait' people I have never met, on the internet.

I'm trying to instill an important lesson in survival. FORGET common names.

If you guys take offence to me trying to improve people learning, then I'm sorry because that is NOT the point and was not my point in stating that Latin is the only reliable ID'ing method.

I'll glady take a step back, if I am overstepping this forums mark in etiquette, or whatever you guys are comfortable with.

I'll say it again though, common names are a f#$%ing joke, when it comes to the plant world. For me, to sit here reading that people have no use for it, is…….how should I say it……..rather 'interesting' to say the least, but this is your forum, your rules, your country. I'll step back. :-) And by the way, no offense was ever meant at all.

My indian friends don't know latin, surprisingly they have no problems identifying the plants we discuss. Even with that said I agree, unfortunately for me I learned most plant names by oral means, not a book or off the web. Thankfully there are many in this thread that knew what I was referring to.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Common names are usually pretty helpful, but recently the scientific community has been changing the binomial nomenclature of some organisms due to new developments. (And they are starting to change the classification system a little too.) so, both names could be correct
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    My indian friends don't know latin, surprisingly they have no problems identifying the plants we discuss. .
    That is normal for people who are local
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-25-2015 at 08:04 AM.

The problem is you keep harping on it. You've said it over and over. We get it. Actually, we all generally agree on the same thing especially when talking points between regions/countries. If you want to use Latin then fine, use it. If others want to use local names that's their privilege.

I've always known "old man's beard" as what grows in Florida ( and elsewhere) and was used as stuffing for car seats many years ago. The stuff in that picture.. And I'm from IL where we don't have any to my knowledge.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    I've always known "old man's beard" as what grows in Florida ( and elsewhere) and was used as stuffing for car seats many years ago. The stuff in that picture.. And I'm from IL where we don't have any to my knowledge.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I have heard people say they confuse the two. But, I have always heard Spanish Moss called Spanish Moss by people I have actually talked to Spanish Moss about.

It does definitely resemble Old Mans Beard from a distance. Spanish Moss's current scientific name (Tillandsia usneoides) the species name usneoides means resembling Usnea.

There is a woman in Florida who makes horse blankets out of Spanish Moss.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/hum...lankets/968162

We have something simliar here on the east coast of Canada.. I'm afraid to say what we call it. Someone might get upset. !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    We have something simliar here on the east coast of Canada.. I'm afraid to say what we call it. Someone might get upset. !!!!
    LOL I won't....but yeah, seems like some might.....there has been some discussion on this lately
    You bring up a major point....."I don't know the scientific name, don't want to sound stupid, so I'll just keep quite.".......This is a normal reaction....and kinda destroys the value of the discussion.

Kinda too bad when different ways of looking at things can't be accepted.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-27-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Gee H - tried to give you some rep for that, but I have to spread the love.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I tried repping Hunter too, there's a lot of wisdom in his post but then again that's Hunter

I tagged him for ya.