Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Wilderness Adventure

Oh, we have LOT"S of those gear lists posted on the forum,use the search function and you'll find tons of'em!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hemmingway - if I didn't have the committments that I do, I'd be interested in joining you. Good luck with your adventure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
    Fletcher, yes, I will be bringing a knife. I was not listing every single piece of gear I am taking, just was trying to explain that this is not some venture in minimalism, and that I will head out well equiped.

Any and all insight into gear will be greatly appreciated though. If people want to post gear lists I will be happy to see the different perspectives.
    Hemingway the kinfe was meant as a joke stick around you'll see

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't think you will have any problem finding others to join you. However when the rubber hits the trail, most will back out for some reason at the very last moment.

If you are going to take a firearm, (Note: I do not go to my outhouse unarmed) then you can rule out all of the National Parks. No firearms allowed.

Do you want to do a trail through the wilderness, or bushwhack across country...? Do you want a flying service to fly you into one spot and pick you up two weeks later elsewhere. At some point you need to choose a location, and exact time of the year, as 30 days sooner or 30 days later will alter the gear you need.

I would suggest you get a bunch of coffee table photo books of Alaska from the library, and also there are 5 good books on different trail systems to be hiked. Remember you can always leave the trail for a side bushwhacking adventure.

The planning is as much fun as the doing....and much better weather.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 09-24-2008 at 09:01 PM.

hopeak, again, thanks for the info. Yes, I suspect people will likely backout at the last minute, so I am hoping to develop several friendships and contacts for this so all my eggs aren't in one basket. You seem pretty confident that I will be able to find someone to join me. Do you have any suggestions of where I would find potential partners for this? Unfortunately, the southern California culture is not really at home in the woods, so I am finding it difficult to find anyone interested in undertaking something like this. I've posted on several sites, Craig's List, various facebook groups, etc. This is the only source where I have had any feedback.

As far as firearms are concerned, I am leaning towards bringing my Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun. I had been debating about this a lot but figure the protection against bears that the shotgun would provide is invaluable compared to smaller options. Since I am not an experienced hunter, I was considering a .22 rifle for small game. I figured small game would be much easier to prepare and tend to, but the .22 will offer no protection from dangerous animals. I guess the ideal for 2 people would be a 12 gauge and a .22, as it opens the doors of small game, birds as well as larger animals, while still giving protection. Any thoughts on this topic? I own a shotgun as well as two semi automatic .22 rimfires. As I will be spending more money on additional equipment and supplies I would prefer not to have to buy another firearm for this trip. Any thoughts?

Forgive my ignorance, so if firearms make federal lands off limits, are there plenty of areas where I could venture other than state and federal lands? I am not opposed to trails, but I don't want to be 3 weeks into living off the land and see a family of hikers coming along while I am in the middle of hunting or cooking.

As far as hiring someone to fly me in, I am leaning against that due to cost as well as the rigid timetable of the pilot's pickup. I want to be able to adapt to circumstances and if something negative happened, to at least know how I can hike back.

Hemingway,

If you have one of each 12 gauge and a .22, you should be alright. I suggest you get plenty of practice with both before embarking. Also, if you're traveling through Canada to get to Alaska, check with Mountaintrekker, a member here, about carrying your weapons across Canada. We have some seriously retarded gun laws in this country.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

trax, thanks. If you had to select just one though, the 12 gauge or .22 which would you choose? I will be sure to practice with both, as you suggest. Unfortunately there are not many areas close by where I can practice marksmanship, but I will make sure it happens, as it is a priority. The Marine Corps taught me the fundamentals, so I am a decent shot, but I don't have experience hunting. If you have any tips or resources regarding marksmanship as it relates to hunting I would be very happy to read that.

With the fundamentals that you learned and your time in the Sand Box a little practice is probably all you need.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It would depend on what you want to do with the firearm. Hunting small game, 22, defense against bear, 12 gauge. You can also hunt small game with 12 gauge with bird shot. You may also go for the option of bear spray as well for defense, works great for black bears, others can tell you better for grizzlies. When are the hunting season's in your area? that is the best teacher, get out and hunt, may not be what is in Alaska, but will give you some great pointers on the art of hunting. Would love to head out with ya, but because of injuries, and comminits......can always dream.

Where you're going if I had to choose one over the other I'd go with the 12 guage. You can use a variety of shot, or slugs, for a variety of targets. An old buddy of mine up north has never used anything else, he hunts moose, caribou, geese, ducks, grouse and rabbit and he's dropped bear with it (he wasn't hunting bear at the time, the bear was getting too close, possibly amorous) He's been using the same single shot 12 guage for years. Mind you, he's awfully good at getting in close to what he's hunting.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I agree that if one had to choose a single firearm, the 12 gauge would be the choice. I really like the idea of 2 people together, one with the shotgun and one with the .22.

As far as rabbits are concerned, bird shot would be ok? I was concerned that it might pummel the meat. Again, I am not expert on this.

Rabbits, if you're going to be camped anywhere for a day or two or three, consider snaring. Birdshot...yeah, maybe number 6 shot, you can go heavier, but why? You might have to pick some pellets out of the meat either way. Definitely consider snaring, remember bird shot is supposed to spread to take birds on the wing.

I've posted on several sites, Craig's List, various facebook groups, etc. This is the only source where I have had any feedback.
    Hemingway, I saw on Craig's list a guy who was recently released from prison (after spending 11 years for 2nd degree murder) that said prison has changed his life, and he wants to hook up with someone that likes the woods...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

It wasn't me I tell ya. It wasn't me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yea, that's what ya said in court.

Yeah, Craig's List is a weird thing indeed. The only responses I received were strange gay men wanting me to go to the woods with them in their RV....

I just want to find normal, decent people who have a love of the outdoors. After I graduate I will likely move from Southern California since it simply not enabling the lifestyle I want to pursue.

After I graduate I will likely move from Southern California since it simply not enabling the lifestyle I want to pursue.
    What are you majoring in?

I am an English major (creative writing). My university has a 30 unit wilderness studies program that I recently learned about, so I am likely going to pursue that as well.

Yeah, Craig's List is a weird thing indeed. The only responses I received were strange gay men wanting me to go to the woods with them in their RV....

I just want to find normal, decent people who have a love of the outdoors. After I graduate I will likely move from Southern California since it simply not enabling the lifestyle I want to pursue.
    Not the adventure you were looking for I'm guessing
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

That was definitely not the adventure I was looking for..