Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Woman Wild

Default Man Woman Wild

In season one where they went to Alaska, I got really ticked off today while watching it with the missus. First off I'm fascinated with the state Alaska, not sure why, but I am. So was looking forward to seeing this episode, second of all they had to call in a rescue helicopter to rescue the guy and his wife...I know he did his best but the way I see it, them calling it quits is if someone were stranded out in the harsh Alaska winter they might as well lay down and die... I mean if even this supposed "expert" can't survive how can an average Joe? The show was in a way dangerous and disheartening to watch. It's also weird because the main guy in the show apparently wrote a book related to Alaska so IDK, maybe he needs to re-read it or something. My favorite show is Dual Survivors and i've seen them survive many snowy locations...in fact the hippy guy never wears pants, always shorts and at most socks, just yeah, just got me really mad they called it quits. What's your guys thoughts?
    Last edited by Rick; 05-07-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: language

There are legal requirements that these "experts" have to follow that would hinder them from any sort of lawsuit. Also, "Man Woman Wild" are constantly accompanied by a camera crew. Maybe one of them couldn't handle the trip.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

In regards to your question, just because someone is an "expert" doesn't make them perfect. I have watched every episode of MWW and I have learned a few little things from it and it get my mind flowing some ideas. Since shows like MMW, DS and the Bear Grylls show came out, alot of average joes have been going out and trying to do what they do and get themselves into a real situation. I think that this show was done that way to help discourage the joes from doing something dumb themselves. Just my $.02, can I get a receipt?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sRaven View Post
    There are legal requirements that these "experts" have to follow that would hinder them from any sort of lawsuit. Also, "Man Woman Wild" are constantly accompanied by a camera crew. Maybe one of them couldn't handle the trip.
    Good thoughts there!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The camera crew is not "surviving", they get granola bars and sleeping bags.

It's TV, it's all phoney as the evening news.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sRaven View Post
    They were whining about the chopter may not being able to come in because of the weather. IDK were saying lot of excuses, I know dude isn't perfect, not asking to be, but when a expert fails a terrain that's some serious stuff and me just says "don't go to Alaska" which isn't a good message. You're not gonna stop very many people from doing what they want, but if they managed to make it to the end and show you can survive at least people will see that and get inspired incase they ever happen to come into that situation(which btw was snow mobiles when snow mobile broke down), vs the opposite which is so much more powerful, as again he's an "expert" if he failed, how can the average joe expect to succeed. The whole point of the show is to show you how to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The camera crew is not "surviving", they get granola bars and sleeping bags.

It's TV, it's all phoney as the evening news.
    Yeah exactly, in the end the camera crew let dude and his wife get into a sleeping bag and started a fire for them.

Herm...one of my entire posts here just disappeared :\

Banned

I enjoy the show for entertainment value. Good for that cute little lady to go out her comfort zone and try a few new things.

I enjoy the show as well and didnt catch the one where they gave up. Ruth's good looks helps with veiwership Im sure. Maybe it was planned that the wilderness would woop em on this one. Maybe things didnt go as planned and for safetys sake it was aborted. Being TV they could have aborted and faked it showing an igloo and dog team over the hill but they were honest about it, I guess. Cant see no reason to get mad over it though, its for entertainment purposes only!

Your post didn't disappear, but rather went to moderation. Any new member (less than 10 posts) that posts a link or quotes another post hast that post go to moderation.

Rather than get P'd off at a TV show try looking at it like this.....It is best to go into the wilderness prepared because even the experts can run into problems and failures when they are not prepared.....which is really one of the points of all of these types of shows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, well...

So don't buy his book! Remember, it's TV! You can't take it all that seriously. Bear Grylls would drink his own urine and say that it was okay when in fact it's NOT! He'd do a lot of other crazy things which violates the S.T.O.P system and say that it was okay because he was in the SAS, when in fact the SAS survival manual teaches the exact opposite! Any-who, Hunter thinks Ruth is hot so there's your justification! The Boy Scouts teach better survival techniques than most of these shows.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I would only hope the producers wouldn't let a couple of greenhorns out in the Alaskan wilderness in the winter. In my opinion, it takes a very skilled person to survive those kind of conditions.

Like any TV show, vote with the remote........Not worth getting upset, it's entertainment....I you don't like it, push the button.....Dancing with the Stars ? is on a different channel.....or head down the basement and do some leather work, or load up 100 re-loads.

A lot of the people that watch these shows, do it to pick apart, cut on, complain, and fantasize that they can do a better job from their couch on the interweb...rather than doing it.

Oh yeah, I think Ruth is Hot.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

hunter63 I don't think I could do a better job, but i'm also not calling myself an expert and have my own tv show that i'm being payed(i'm sure big bucks) for to show people how to survive... When you're in that position you better do what you claim otherwise you don't belong there IMHO. There hundreds if not thousands of guys they could drop into that exact same situation and they'd survive just fine because they know what they're doing, even if they don't their own tv shows...I look at these shows as education because that's the point, they're there to teach how to survive, while entertaining that's not the primary focus, if I wanted to be entertained i'd watch some mindless train wreck of a show. At the end of this Alaska show when the guy was making all kinds of excuses about that time of the year no plans would land because of melting ice, no animals etc...I was thinking why'd you pick that time to go there then? Idiot. It's just ridiculous and I noticed he went back to Alaska in season 2(haven't seen it yet) but I hope he doesn't fail again, otherwise his credibility is shot to me. How hard is it to do your homework when you know you're being put on a new mission... Alaska being a tough location is more reason for you to really have researched and have a solid game plan and fallback plans to "get'r done".

Quote Originally Posted by MichMetal View Post
    hunter63 I don't think I could do a better job, but i'm also not calling myself an expert and have my own tv show that i'm being payed(i'm sure big bucks) for to show people how to survive... When you're in that position you better do what you claim otherwise you don't belong there IMHO. There hundreds if not thousands of guys they could drop into that exact same situation and they'd survive just fine because they know what they're doing, even if they don't their own tv shows...I look at these shows as education because that's the point, they're there to teach how to survive, while entertaining that's not the primary focus, if I wanted to be entertained i'd watch some mindless train wreck of a show. At the end of this Alaska show when the guy was making all kinds of excuses about that time of the year no plans would land because of melting ice, no animals etc...I was thinking why'd you pick that time to go there then? Idiot. It's just ridiculous and I noticed he went back to Alaska in season 2(haven't seen it yet) but I hope he doesn't fail again, otherwise his credibility is shot to me. How hard is it to do your homework when you know you're being put on a new mission... Alaska being a tough location is more reason for you to really have researched and have a solid game plan and fallback plans to "get'r done".
    Don't you think it is important to show that unless you are prepared, even an expert can fail?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

These shows are not education. They are entertainment. There's a big difference. If they happen to educate then fine. But the goal is to sell advertising space. They do that by entertaining you. At least they hope they do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, Michmetal, I think you are taking a TV SHOW way too serious, but Hey if that the way you want to learn.......Have at it.........It's a wonder that I made it all these years in the outdoors with out TV survivial shows and the interweb.
    Carry on.

You bet. It was all I could do to tear myself away from Gilligan's Island as it was. That Mary Ann. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Now it's Ruth. What's a guy to do?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Then there was Ginger.....hence the spread of Gingivitis,...red haired freckle faced kids....LOL, LOl