Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Irma

The power went out here at 1:34am. I was awake. Fired up the genny and plugged in the FIL oxygen thing. I hope the power comes back soon. The noise is a nuisance.

We became numb to the sound of generators and chainsaws. I only ran my generator for two hours every six hours. I understand with an O2 generator it has to run constantly. Good luck. At least Irma is moving on to the north rapidly. That's what hurricanes are suppose to do.

Get ready though, Jose is winding up to the East.

Alan

Not much sleep last night. Lots of trees down (won't need to go far for firewood). So far, so good. Rains are letting up, but still getting gusts up to 70. Clean up will start tomorrow.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I didn't think the rain amount or wind were too bad for our area. Lots of clean up to do. My uncles genny stopped working but we fixed it. Just sitting around keeping the food cool and listening to the radio.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hang in there Buddies.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Took the plywood down tonight. Will start cutting up downed trees tomorrow (so much firewood - so little storage). Amazingly we still have power (may lose it during the restoration process) with about 290,000 homes in Jax without it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like y'all came through in good shape. Any time everything can be fixed, it's good.

Alan

It sounds like much of FL dodged the bullet. As bad as it was it could have been far, far worse.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It is up here now.

Low temps and heavy rains, 20 mph wind.

Nothing dangerous or exciting.

Another fall storm.

You guys took the brunt, like always.

Watch for the snakes and 'gaters roaming round looking for dry spots.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Electric came back about 30 minutes ago.

I verified two things (that I already knew) today. After ten hours of storm clean up, I'm not as young as I used to be. And two, the first beer after clean up tastes reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't drink any more but I know what you mean on both counts.

Alan

This morning the local news reported that there is a 25 mile back up on I-10 with the "mass migration" of people trying to get back home.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I sure hope this all the hurricane problems we have for this year.

Whenever one of these little inconveniences occurs, like a hurricane, when everybody runs for the hills, drinks up all the water and burns up all the gas, I always think to myself, "Lord Help us if anything really bad ever happens." The greater majority of people in this country are totally unprepared for a real catastrophe. Even the ones who think they are kind of prepared are not really prepared, and the ones who think they are totally prepared are probably the most delusional of the bunch, because the think their preparedness is going to count for anything against a mass of unpreparedness.

Alan

I get tickled at the ones that think everyone is going to be a victim except them. Even with all my preps if it's THAT bad I'm probably going to be bulldozed in the pit with everyone else. I just hope it's not a 'hold my beer' moment.

Madmax is in a microcosm of the bigger problem. He's just fine prepped for two in this situation under these circumstances. Boom, oilve-uh-sudden he's got seven to provide for under the same circumstances. He can't just stat eating them (they're probably old and tough) and can't just turn them out.

Fact is there is really no way to prep for a major disaster (EMP, super volcano, etc…). But, there are folks who are going golive through it. They are likely going to be those who are the fastest and strongest. The goober hunkered down in a well stocked bunker is going to be thought of as a grocery store.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Madmax is in a microcosm of the bigger problem. He's just fine prepped for two in this situation under these circumstances. Boom, oilve-uh-sudden he's got seven to provide for under the same circumstances. He can't just stat eating them (they're probably old and tough) and can't just turn them out.

Fact is there is really no way to prep for a major disaster (EMP, super volcano, etc…). But, there are folks who are going golive through it. They are likely going to be those who are the fastest and strongest. The goober hunkered down in a well stocked bunker is going to be thought of as a grocery store.

Alan
    ....Provided that "Bunker" isn't flooded......

I just feel bad for all y'all....I/we have not had to deal with anything....yet still find holes in the "preps" when something minor happens...

Storms:....chain saw won't start, or a week ago....gen set wouldn't start....sump pump quit (had spare)......water main break, had water stashed, but looked for alternatives....

Biggie for us was meds. and medical equipment (for others).....

As I watched all those people slogging thru the flood with a tote a few things and a kid or dog....was wondering where all the BOB camping equipment.....along the AR and 2000 round of ammo was being carried.

What the best knife in a flood?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My sister in law decided that we needed to have a "prepper" meeting with the family. She just talked about list of stuff and what we need. One of the things we talked about was flooding, although that is very rare for our area, unless we have a very wet winter, and a very warm spring, and you happen to live under the damn of a reservoir. I saw fishing equipment on her list of BOB items, and told her she needed a boat in case it flooded. She thought that was a good idea, so I told her that she NEEDED to get a John boat so that me and her husband can go "practice" primitive food gathering out on the reservoir. Trust me, we NEED a lot of "practice", like every weekend at least.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    My sister in law decided that we needed to have a "prepper" meeting with the family. She just talked about list of stuff and what we need. One of the things we talked about was flooding, although that is very rare for our area, unless we have a very wet winter, and a very warm spring, and you happen to live under the damn of a reservoir. I saw fishing equipment on her list of BOB items, and told her she needed a boat in case it flooded. She thought that was a good idea, so I told her that she NEEDED to get a John boat so that me and her husband can go "practice" primitive food gathering out on the reservoir. Trust me, we NEED a lot of "practice", like every weekend at least.
    Yes....There can be a silver lining.....thinking ahead a good thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just be careful how far you go with those ideas. Be wary of the 'tipping point'.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.