Thread: much more easily done with a bow

Default much more easily done with a bow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lag78Ur9gEA

If your broadhead is sharp and you get a good hit, he wont run 100m.

grizzly and moose with a slingbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnN1Qvw1HAU

For the alone show, you make a ladder, a tree platform with a blind on it, use the (provided )trail cam to tell you when to be up there, weaving netting, etc, and watching over the pile of guts from fish and fowl.

A bow gives you at least 4x the effective range of a spear. You wont have a spear head and dare not risk your only knife for such things. But you can take a bow or a slingbow, with 2 broadheads and 4 fishing arrows, with 4-tined fishing heads, which can be swiftly converted into 32 fishhooks. The spare rubber tube can come in real handy, too, for use as tourniquet, quick-release tie-off, for sucking kelp juice out of the mortar, etc.
    Last edited by jayd; 08-04-2017 at 03:49 PM.

So, how much food have you put on the table with your bow?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Never mind, I have nothing to add - I'm just a troll.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-07-2017 at 06:07 AM.

So, .....You didn't get picked for the Alone show????
    Or are you hating on it.....for the heck of it.
    Quote>
    I dont have time for both and defensive ability means far more than primitive baloney. I wouldn't bother with any of the Alone show stuff, were it not for the half million< Quote.

We don't pay that wel,l so why are you even here? ......... Primitive baloney and all?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Never mind, I have nothing to add - I'm just a troll.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-07-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    Not just me, MOST think this partner requirement inhales sharply. Especially the starting 10 miles apart bs. Ditto with having to split the prize money. 2 of the 7 teams never hooked up. 2 more have tapped out, in less than a month of real time, too.

The fastest any team has hooked up has been 8 days. The most food that they get to take is 4 lbs (total) So the camper guy gets none, the hiker gets maybe enough for 3 days. Of course, they both can carbo-load before they go, which might be good for 2 day's effort, but the hiker is going to be running on fumes for 2-4 days, in slimy, treacherous terrain.

By the time that the hiker arrives, the camp-partner danged well better have created the shelter, the water filter, the duck rafts set for ducks and gulls (baited with roasted cambium) . The fishing float-sets net to be made and set. The hammock and gillnet need to unraveled, the outer sheathing removed (from at least 3/4 of the 2000 ft of paracord) ready to start weaving the netting. A lb per day of salt can be recovered by boiling seawater all day, and you'll need it for preserving the fish and game that you'll have to harvest. If that is, you want to win on your abilities, as vs winning by being fat and lucky.

Both of them need to use their rain pants for water containers. Both sets of gaiters can be converted (via a straightened-out fishhook and the duct tape) into "dry-bags", which you badly need, for force-drying (and keeping-dry) tinder, ashes, charred punkwood, salt, etc.

The camp partner needs to have decided if they stay there or not, which will be determined by the difficulty of the shoreline terrain and the availability of fish and fowl. If there is inadequate food present, then he needs to be making the debris-stuffed tarp pontoon, and at least finding and marking the logs for making the raft, so the team and all their stuff can be readily moved up and down the coast, looking for a better location.

The hiker gets the "camera" 10x10 tarp, (which, according to the rules) can't be cut up, while the camper gets the 12x12 and does what's needed with chunks of that.

If you're not going to lose weight, (cause you're not a lardass) then you'l have to average harvesting 10 lbs per day of fish/game, per person. That means 1200 lbs has to be caught in 2 months. Only with a LOT of netting, a lot of fishhooks (mostly set for the fowl) and baiting in and arrowing some fat bears are you going to achieve that kind of food-intake (on vancouver, at that time of year.
    Sound like a lot of watching the Primitive baloney to not like it....why bother.....?
    Kinda like hitting yourself on the thumb with a hammer.....(or shovel)... over and ever...saying ow, ow, ow.....But keep doing it?

Maybe practice the defensive stuff?....time better spent?........That is if you have any ammo left.........Bummer about getting robbed.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

10 pounds of meat per day, per person?

Are you on crack?

That is close to 40,000 calories daily per person.

This is beginning to get a little tiresome and does not speak well of the information provided to the unsuspecting by our forum! Someone might actually think he knows what he is talking about and hurt themselves.

I am about sick of every post being about that freekin' game show too. I'm backing off for a while so someone send me an e-mail when you decide to ban this guy. I can not stand reading another of his ignorant posts.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hummm, Number getting close?.....

it does get tiresome, it's funny at first though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lag78Ur9gEA

If your broadhead is sharp and you get a good hit, he wont run 100m.

grizzly and moose with a slingbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnN1Qvw1HAU

For the alone show, you make a ladder, a tree platform with a blind on it, use the (provided )trail cam to tell you when to be up there, weaving netting, etc, and watching over the pile of guts from fish and fowl.

A bow gives you at least 4x the effective range of a spear. You wont have a spear head and dare not risk your only knife for such things. But you can take a bow or a slingbow, with 2 broadheads and 4 fishing arrows, with 4-tined fishing heads, which can be swiftly converted into 32 fishhooks. The spare rubber tube can come in real handy, too, for use as tourniquet, quick-release tie-off, for sucking kelp juice out of the mortar, etc.
    Ummmm, that's up to the deer or elk or moose whatever. I've tracked deer shot through both lungs (with a rifle) that ran well over a 100m before realizing they were dead. I tracked a buck I shot last season with a 45-70 for a half mile or so. Every 40-50 yds or so he left a grapefruit size spot of blood. Me, nor the two others with me or their dog ever found him. As far as I know he lived to fight another day. Never discount the x factor of the game you are hunting!!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    This is beginning to get a little tiresome and does not speak well of the information provided to the unsuspecting by our forum! Someone might actually think he knows what he is talking about and hurt themselves.

This is probably the biggest reason for squelching this traffic. If I had read this garbage when I first visited this forum I would have moved on thinking it was loaded with goobers.

Alan

When the time comes (and it is growing near) I'll practice a little "leave no trace posting" for the dearly departed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

10 lbs a day. I thought it was 12 lbs at first. I guess I could keep going on 40 quarter lb'ers (no cheese) a day.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not sure the food bank would deliver that much all the way to Vancouver Island as heavy as those canned goods are!

Plus they would probably try to give him vegetables and he would whine about the abuse for the next two episodes.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?