Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowing What You Do Now???

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Knowing What You Do Now???

Christmas is coming up and I hear that for the first time in a while new guns are near the top of the national wish list.

Also a lot of new first time buyers out there due to some of the recent unpleasantness.

So the question to start the fist fight at the gun shop counter is:

Knowing what you know now, as we bask in the glory of the geezerhood, what would be your first gun if you had to start over today?

Not the only gun or last gun, just the "first gun".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Same as it was when I received my first firearm ... a good .22 LR rifle.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Yeah my Henry Lever action .22 rifle is just too cool for school. No pretense. No BS. No tacticool. Cock and pop. Second in line would be my "You'll shoot you're eye out" Red Ryder BB gun. I'm a simple man.

I think I would start my new "little collection" just like the old one....
    Yeah, .22 rifle, .....then 12 gauge pump, bolt long shooter, .357/.44 revolver......the .22 hand gun....and a way we go.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Knowing what you do now, and after three long droughts of no .22rimfire ammo available anywhere, you are still going to pick the .22 as first gun?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yup. My answer is too short. So I'll babble on. Yup.

Alright , ship the .22....move right to the 12 ga pump.........

I thought about ammo availability, too. As much as I would like to say my MKIII, I would have to go with the 9mm semi-auto.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

When I started out, I began with a .22 rifle. For $150 out the door I got the Remington 597 used at a gun shop with three mags and a brick of ammo. It was cheap and economical for me at the time and still have one and I still favor it for plinking purposes.

Where I screwed up is that I still have the SKS, AK and AR on my wish lists and have yet to acquire them. SKS is hard to find under $400 vs $200 a few years ago and the AK is next to impossible to find for under $700 vs $400 a few years ago. I just never thought their prices would scream like they have in short order. Luckily, the AR has returned to what seems normal. An AR build is what is next in the works for me. Simply because it would not be so ruff with recoil for the Mrs.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

probably a 20 gauge over and under, is a rifle still made by anyone in 25-20? If not and I'm forced to buy brand new I may look into a CZ bolt action in 22 hornet. Then maybe a 30-06 in some sort of bolt action, maybe another CZ. To be honest I haven't looked over new firearms in quite some time.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

"Knowing what I do now....." Probably an iron sighted, bolt action center fire rifle. 243 or 308 or 06 or maybe even 30/30 I can use it to hunt with, I can use a Lee loader to keep it shooting and most of them are very simple to maintain. Or a 1911........one or the other....or....

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Where I screwed up is that I still have the SKS, AK and AR on my wish lists and have yet to acquire them. SKS is hard to find under $400 vs $200 a few years ago and the AK is next to impossible to find for under $700 vs $400 a few years ago. I just never thought their prices would scream like they have in short order. Luckily, the AR has returned to what seems normal. An AR build is what is next in the works for me. Simply because it would not be so ruff with recoil for the Mrs.
    Natertot,
    If I may ask? Why do you want both an AK and a SKS? I see the AK as an evolution of the SKS system much like the M14 is a refined Garand so I curious why you want to allocate resources for an SKS and an AK.

my problem is I have a fair assortment now, don't see a need to pick up anything new for a few generations
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Same problem......
    5 years ago I would have said, "Buy a Handi Rifle....and add barrels".
    Now the barrel alone are twice the price of a high end Handi a year ago.

My most used gun for more than target shooting is a 12 gauge. My recommendation to all who ask what your first gun should be is a 12 gauge.

All things being even I would recommend a semi-auto 12 gauge. I have pumps and several semi-autos. I get the reasons people say bet a 870 pump. I would say get a semi-auto for lighter recoil and quicker follow up shots on birds.

12 gauge because I have hunted just about everything with it. And down here some places only allow shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Natertot,
    If I may ask? Why do you want both an AK and a SKS? I see the AK as an evolution of the SKS system much like the M14 is a refined Garand so I curious why you want to allocate resources for an SKS and an AK.
    I'm a bit of a collector and I have shot both and really like both. How many here own multiple guns in the same cal? Why not this too? Although the AK is newer and the same call, the AK is a different design altogether whereas the Garand and M14/M1A is not.

BTW, I haven't allocated funds for either. Funds are going elsewhere at the moment.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Knowing what you do now, and after three long droughts of no .22rimfire ammo available anywhere, you are still going to pick the .22 as first gun?
    Yep. I have plenty of .22 LR ammo and I don't believe in "spray and pray." :thumbup1

Accuracy counts above all else.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Definetly a .22. Safety and marksmanship, in that order, are paramount with any new shooter and I can't think of anything better to learn those two things on than a .22.. Once have have solid roots in those then move on to whatever guns suit your shooting needs be it hunting, self defense or just a fun gun.

I should have bought that Hacker Martin squirrel rifle I came across years ago, no need to reload, .32 cal. would have taken care most of my small game hunting needs.

That would be the ideal, these days......little flinter....