Thread: Kudzu is edible!

Default Kudzu is edible!

The whole plant is edible except the vines.

Here are some links:
    https://www.thekitchn.com/did-you-kn...at-kudzu-92488
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...ook-eat-kudzu/
    https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/di...shpWaB8f9D2PO/
    Do a search.

The roots can be cooked the same as potatoes. The leaves are great in salads or cooked. If you're skeptical; so were we until we tried it.

Do not forage where defoliants were used or near interstates. Here, I'd advise a heavy coating of Deet and also snake boots.

Indeed it is. The flavor is something that you have to get used to, but it ain't bad when you're hungry.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Indeed it is. The flavor is something that you have to get used to, but it ain't bad when you're hungry.
    Very true and that also applies to other edibles .

Though not a popular item in Western cuisine, termites are prized in other cultures. And with good reason: they represent a valuable source of protein and fat. In fact, a 100-gram serving of these insects provides 75 percent more calories than an equivalent amount of rump steak.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-ate-termites/

Your "ain't bad when you're hungry" applies.

I'm just going to throw this out there for what it's worth................... bacon is edible as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bacon is edible. I have tried it before cooked in may different ways. I'm sure there are more. It is one of my several quests to try them all. Kudzu will have to wait....

Alan

Apple wood smoked bacon is our favorite.

inedible C-rats.jpg

IMO, some things are not edible, but do have their uses..

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    Apple wood smoked bacon is our favorite.

inedible C-rats.jpg

IMO, some things are not edible, but do have their uses..
    You can use INEDIBLE plants for fishing.
    Just mash any MILDY venonmous plant that secretes a milky substance and trow it into the water. Then just catch the fish that rises to the surface.
    Be careful when you do this, one thing is doing this for survival when you realy need it, or when you still don't have proper fishing equipment.
    Doing this just because you are too lazy to go fishing will just ruin the spot and it's a stupid act, like poaching. And may be illegal, depending of where do you live, what plants do you used and what kind of fish you got.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

This isn't plants.

In the South US, people call any type of sunfish bream. They punch holes in a soda can and fill it with dog food and strawberry soda. As the dog food dissolves it attracts fish.

Survival changes all the rules.

This isn't plants.

In the South US, people call any type of sunfish bream. They punch holes in a soda can and fill it with dog food and strawberry soda. As the dog food dissolves it attracts fish.

I agree that survival changes all the rules, but poisoning your fishing spot should always be a last choice, since you won't be able to catch anything there for a few days, or maybe even more time. Even if you use plants to do that, anything that kill or stun fish will keep the fish that survived away from the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I agree that survival changes all the rules, but poisoning your fishing spot should always be a last choice, since you won't be able to catch anything there for a few days, or maybe even more time. Even if you use plants to do that, anything that kill or stun fish will keep the fish that survived away from the area.
    Here in the US, some State's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) use electricity to temporarily shock fish to measure them and check populations. At Shearon Harris lake in North Carolina game warden said a State record large mouth bass was in that lake. No, I never caught it, but I sure tried.

Here in the US, some State's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) use electricity to temporarily shock fish to measure them and check populations. At Shearon Harris lake in North Carolina game warden said a State record large mouth bass was in that lake. No, I never caught it, but I sure tried.
    Since we are talking about fishing, some day I will go fishing stripped bass. We only have white bass at my state. We also have a bootleg version of stripped bass than is not evenly stripped. The pattern is broken and weird. But it's some species of bass.

Here, people call them "stripers" but they don't mean the Atlantic variety.
    The most successful method for me has been fishing on the outlet side of a hydroelectric dam.

As the East coast of Parana is the ocean; have you tried fishing there?

When I lived in Maryland, I used to fish the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean. In Michigan, I fished a couple of the Great Lakes, St Clair river and lake. Currently in Georgia, I fish lakes, rivers and creeks.
    Georgia invests a lot of money in WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) with food plots and also stocks fish. They also charge a hefty price a non-resident license.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This isn't plants.

I believe the fish in the southeast US are addicted to strawberries! Around here the kids soak chunked up hot dogs in strawberry Jello or Kool-Aid and it seems to work great. They also make strawberry dough balls for catfishing.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Here, people call them "stripers" but they don't mean the Atlantic variety.
    The most successful method for me has been fishing on the outlet side of a hydroelectric dam.

As the East coast of Parana is the ocean; have you tried fishing there?

When I lived in Maryland, I used to fish the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean. In Michigan, I fished a couple of the Great Lakes, St Clair river and lake. Currently in Georgia, I fish lakes, rivers and creeks.
    Georgia invests a lot of money in WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) with food plots and also stocks fish. They also charge a hefty price a non-resident license.
    Yep, I love fishing at the sea, but there is no stripped bass at my state. Only the bootleg one.
    I'm not complaining, I will fry and eat the bootleg all the same, and we have white bass too... but it's not the same as stripped bass.

I love fishing, period.

Every time I moved, there was the challenge of learning new techniques to catch new to me fish. Supposedly, the St. Clair River is the fastest navigable water in the US. Even better, one can fish for steelhead there. Steelheads are quite a fighter; so are big chinooks or king salmon.

I love fishing, period.

Every time I moved, there was the challenge of learning new techniques to catch new to me fish. Supposedly, the St. Clair River is the fastest navigable water in the US. Even better, one can fish for steelhead there. Steelheads are quite a fighter; so are big chinooks or king salmon.
    Fishing is fun, but the best part for me is eating my fresh-caugth fish! Fried, roasted, whathever... As long as it's fresh caugth it will taste good. And even better with a side of liquour.

For eating as big largemouth bass aren't as good as the smaller ones, I release the big ones.

If you catch Red Snapper in the ocean; we put a couple of sprigs of rosemary inside and bake them..

Once I caught a 9 3/4 pound largemouth from under a dock. A woman came running out of a rental cabin and asked if I was going to keep it? I said no; she asked if she could get her camera. I hung the bass on the scale and she took several pictures to show her husband.
    She wanted pictures of what was under the dock because he left her home and went fishing. By the tone of her voice and look in her eyes. I'm ashamed to admit I got her husband in trouble.

Cointreau with ice is a delicious with certain foods. :lool: