Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins....

Default And so it begins....

I made this website 6 years ago. I had taken a Wilderness Survival class in ROTC and when studying there was such a low amount reference material online I thought I should make a site about it. I kept saying that "I should make a wilderness survival site" until my wife said "Well, do it already." So I did.

I waited quite awhile to add the forum, but once I did it really came to life, I want to thank all of you who have participated. I run around 6 forums and I was just remarking to my wife the other day how much I loved this one. More than any other forum I run this one has more quickly attracted better, more knowledgable people.

You also have been so well behaved. Really, lots of great on topic relevant discussions with very little bickering (I did read something about who knows more about moose, if that is the worst it gets, great).

There has only been one person who needed discipline, they were posting nonsensical garbage posts for no apparent reason.

Until now, I got 2 PMs today about members causing problems. What has happened?

I don't want to be all heavy handed, appoint a moderator, enforce rules, I like the whole mutual respect comradery instead, but things have to stay civil.

So, here are some rules to keep in mind.

1. No hate speech. No derogatory comments about someone or a group of people based on sex, race, age, religion, whatever.

2. No personal attacks. If you disagree with someone, refute their statement. Don't call them a village idiot.

3. Private messages are private. Posting them publicly is just being antagonistic.

4. Keep discussion PG-13. If it goes to R rated this website might not be accessible from work places, schools, libraries, and the like.

5. No posting commercial advertisements (aka spamming).

I'm not going to start with the policing now, since I never really gave you rules, but here are the rules, please try to follow them.

nice to finally hear from ya any experiences you would like to share from rotc

Thanks for a great site,Chris.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thumbs up

This is my favorite forum. I’ve learned a lot. Thank you so much for making this website. The rules are very reasonable.

Default I told you guys

now you went and got dad mad and we ALL are getting heck...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Unhappy New leaf.

Yeah I really feel bad about all the names I called "The Bare Wilderness Numptys." So I'll just refer to them collectively as the TBWN if you all don't mind. That way it's not personal.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Fair enough then

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Sarge -- they are numptys - and they're not on this site (therefore fair game in my book), if they were I'd venture to say theu wouldn't be here long.

Chris - thanks for the site
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah Foggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fog_Harbor View Post
    Sarge -- they are numptys - and they're not on this site (therefore fair game in my book), if they were I'd venture to say theu wouldn't be here long.

Chris - thanks for the site
    I hear what your saying, I think they hoped they could round up followers by posting their web-site and using that line about needing to know more about edible plants in an area they'd obviously lived in for many years as a come-on for the "easily-impressed.". My reflection on the way I handled it is that I probably deliberately shut down the only line of communication I might of had with them by my hard attitude. Yet Survival is life or death. If they can't take the hard questions they should stay out of the woods altogether. And I'm not buying that lame rap that "maybe they are learning from us" either. I won't make excuses for anybody and I don't respect those that do. If they're man (figurative) enough to post here, they should own up to the questions posed, all of the questions, even if they don't like them. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Asking questions is a great way to dialogue as it involves both parties in the thinking process. The only way that someone would duck them is if they didn't want to answer for a number of reasons. ie.: don't know, know but don't want to say, etc.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default you guys....

Let it go, you're just gonna get Dad mad again.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Wink Awww Trax!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Sorry Mother! Those guys caused more uproar with a couple /three posts than anybody else.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

some ppl's children i swear..

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Sorry Mother! Those guys caused more uproar with a couple /three posts than anybody else.
    They didn’t cause an up uproar. Our actions and reactions toward their post are our own responsibility and not in their hands. Be fair.

Blog Entries

Dose of reality here.

Owl Girl is right. We are resp. for our own actions and finger positioning.

Let's all just take three deep breaths, pick up that Absolute, roll it around in your mouth, push the two olives to the side between your cheeks, now swallow.

Chew the olives, nice and slow savoring the concentrated vodka seaping out.

There.

What were we talking abou?

Blog Entries

Wink Oh, go hug a moose!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    They didn’t cause an up uproar. Our actions and reactions toward their post are our own responsibility and not in their hands. Be fair.
    Go ahead, admonish me! Admonish me! I need it! I crave it I....oops.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    No kidding, don't get me started about unanswered questions.

Anyways, i see you guys have been busy while I was away!

Blog Entries

Red face Thanks kiddo!

My last post was me being funny, but I do listen to you, please excuse my bad.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My last post was me being funny, but I do listen to you, please excuse my bad.
    Yea I know your being funny though for a sec I thought you might have gone crazy lol.

Thaks Chris For This Site

Send you down a gift package sometime
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Yea I know your being funny though for a sec I thought you might have gone crazy lol.
    Crazy.....ER?