Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I make with deer?

I use Photbucket as well. I've tried a few of the on-line photo storage sites and that is the one I prefer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's how you guys do the pictorials?

The bucking solution was slightly frozen over this morning, I'm thinking of bringing it indoors at night. Would that be a good idea? It has a tight fitting lid.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    That's how you guys do the pictorials?

The bucking solution was slightly frozen over this morning, I'm thinking of bringing it indoors at night. Would that be a good idea? It has a tight fitting lid.
    Yep. If you take a look at one of the pictorials and hit the quote button then you will be able to see what the img code thing looks like. From Photobucket it's just a copy and past of the code, but that'll show you what it looks like in a post before the submit button is hit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK, I thought you guys were uploading the photos here and adding the tag pointing to them here, not photobucket. LOL! Thanks!

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would bring it in the garage at least, but make sure the lid is on good! It won't hurt anything for it to freeze, but it'll take forever to buck

Thanks YCC, I brought it in and the hair is maybe slipping just slightly more. 3 days and counting...

Blog Entries

Like I say, I've had large bucks take 5 days to buck sufficiently to scrape into buckskin. It would have had to go longer to "wipe clean" to keep the grain on.

This is an endeavor that will teach you a lot about yourself. patience, mettle, mental, physical, resourcefulness... at least it has been for me. I'm sure you'll find it just as rewarding as I do.

Default Lime ?

Is this the right stuff? The pic shows the ingredients. It's called fast acting lime by Pennington.

I looked everywhere around and could not find hydrated lime or pickling lime. I even went online to look at local Lowe's and Home Depot and can't find it. It's not available locally that I can find.

If this is the right stuff then I may need to whip up another batch and tranfer the hide as removing it to flip and stir has reduced the amount of water in the bucket.

I had this same problem with growing mushrooms and ended up using pelletized gypsum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RWC, Hydrated Lime is also Calcium Hydroxide if that helps. You can try one of these guys.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEwQ8wIwBA#
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Calcium Carbonate 95.5%
    The grocery store calls it "slaked lime" or "hydrated lime" and it comes in a plastic container like this: http://store.mrswagesstore.com/mrswagpiclim.html
    In fact, that's the exact kind I use. around $3 a pound and that's usually enough to do 2 hides.
    That's the ticket! I bet it was way cheaper than what I buy at the grocers.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Actually, this is exactly what the can in my hand right now looks like.
    http://www.yardlover.com/mrs-wages-pickling-lime-1-lb

YCC, are you sure it says Calcium Carbonate? They are very closely related but Hydrated Lime and Calcium Carbonate are not the same. Hydrated Lime is what happens when you add water to Calcium Oxide. Hence the name Calcium Hydroxide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hydroxide
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick.

So, ycc are you saying the stuff I have should work?

None of the stores here have pickling lime because they say it's out of season. In fact, walwart was the only one who said they even stocked it in season.

I got the above stuff at Lowe's, 7 bucks for 6 lbs. They also had a 25 or so lb. bag for like 15 bucks, but I didn't think I'd need that much and am short on cash as it is. Nobody here I've talked to has even heard of hydrated lime and they always point me to the stuff I bought or pelletized gypsum.

Interestingly enough I was told sheetrock or drywall is compressed calcium carbonate. I can't verify that though.

I believe that gypsum is calcium sulfate.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    Is this the right stuff? The pic shows the ingredients. It's called fast acting lime by Pennington.

I looked everywhere around and could not find hydrated lime or pickling lime. I even went online to look at local Lowe's and Home Depot and can't find it. It's not available locally that I can find.

If this is the right stuff then I may need to whip up another batch and tranfer the hide as removing it to flip and stir has reduced the amount of water in the bucket.

I had this same problem with growing mushrooms and ended up using pelletized gypsum.
    Hydrated Lime is a fine powder that will dissolve easily in water, other than that it is pretty much the same as garden lime. It can usually be found at Home Depot or Lowes in the masonry section, because it is mainly used as an additive to concrete. I bought some at Home Depot in Benton Harbor, MI last year.

If what YCC is using works then by all means use it. He knows FAR FAR more about this stuff than I do. I'm just questioning the ingredients based on the common name.

There are different, but similar chemicals that produce the desired effect and different storebought products that contain those chemicals. This is where I'm somewhat confused.

RunsWithDeer, thanks, our local HomeDepot supposedly doesn't stock hydrated lime, which is odd considering it's intended use and the fact that they are a super warehouse of hardware and construction supplies.

I am just a bit impatient and anxious not knowing what to expect or when to expect it and was wondering if the stuff I used was perhaps not correct.

From what I understand hydrated lime is the least expensive option for bucking hides. Other than perhaps using wood ash if the wood and fuel is free.

Blog Entries

What you have should work just fine. The only difference is 4.5% of "other stuff" where what I use sometimes is 100%.

As long as you mixed it strong enough for some to settle to the bottom it's perfect. It will only get so strong, not sure exactly what pH.

I think the main thing slowing you down is the temperature. When it's cold it takes a while. When it's hot weather (above 70) they go really fast, almost faster than you really want it to. There's a sweet spot somewhere around 65 degrees where a small hide might only take a day to buck, and a large one might take 3 days.

It's been my experience that slower is better when making buckskin as the "bond" between the two layers of skin (Dermis and fiber network) is weakened and makes scraping really easy. Of course yours isn't going to be buckskin, but rather a grain leather, and might require a little longer to slip the hair easily.

Patience my friend.

*Wood ash lye was used in times past as an ingredient in making "cinder blocks" and mortar mixes. It is the reason concrete has a warning that it "may cause burns. Wear gloves"*
    *The active ingredient in Tums antacid tabs is Calcium Carbonate!*

Don't worry. All things in good time. The lime you are using is correct.

Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime Gets the Job Done

For pickling cucumbers the old-fashioned way for extra crispness and flavor! Makes Cucumber Lime Pickles (recipe on each bag), Green Tomato Pickles, Watermelon Rinds and Citron Pickles. Food grade calcium hydroxide with no additives or preservatives.
    The description from your link (both links) say calcium hydroxide, YCC. Or am I looking at something wrong here?