Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR Usage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The M4 wasn't mentioned just the AR. My AR is 37 inches from nose to tail with the butt extended or 34 inches shortened. My .45 is .... well .... a lot shorter. Mine also eats 5.56 FMJ.
    The M4 is just 2" shorter than a 16" AR. Not alot to talk about. But I see your point about the pistol being much handier
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That's how it starts. Weak drain plug, boat loaded with weapons. Them BAMO! Before you know it you're callin in the Coast Guard to pluck you out of a raging lake or river. All your weapons and ammo now belong to Davy Jones. I still get cold chills just thinkin about it.

OK so I have the john boat, and the runabout, and the sailboat.....I am pretty sure that's not enough boats I better go check Graig's list real quick!

Does the Coast Guard start charging for services after the second boat goes down?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    OK so I have the john boat, and the runabout, and the sailboat.....I am pretty sure that's not enough boats I better go check Graig's list real quick!

Does the Coast Guard start charging for services after the second boat goes down?
    Not if you have AAA! You get three sunks a year I believe.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have a Stage Coach type double 12 guage, simple quick and efficient. No "black guns " for me. After 25 plus years finally dawned on me they are not my cup of tea. I follow the KISS principle Keep It Simple Stupid (referring to me of course )
    Last edited by Pal334; 05-03-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spellin
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I have a Stage Coach type double 12 guage, simple quick and efficient. No "black guns " for me. After 25 plus years finally dawned on me they are not my cup of tea. I follow the KISS principle Keep It Simple Stupid (referring to me of course )
    I routinely shoot SASS and Western 3-Gun matches, so I have a special appreciation of that about which you speak. As Jeff Cooper often said, "The gunfight is not won by the first shot, but by the first hit."

Generally speaking, I'd rather be accurate than fast. (The only exception would occur if I should be up against a fast AND accurate shooter...)

Recognizing, of course, that the stereotypical "Gunsmoke" shootout is just not in reality's realm...
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.

The thought occurred to me, that when a question is asked about Black rifles for this....and for that,...for house cleaning....zombies etc......Someone wants one, and is looking to justify a reason.....or that the way it seems.

Well, Bunky, I say, just go for it, no need to to have a reason, a "I just want one" is totally within the parameter's of "just because"....Life's to short to dance with ugly women...unless you want to.
    Not that was the reason for the OP ...just saying...in general.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I agree with Daniel, Having been "around the horn", a tour in Vietnam and early Iraq and a few in between, thankfully there are VERY FEW people that are fast AND accurate shooters when their "hinny" is on the line and scared sh**less. So the KISS principle has served me very well. As you know, gadgets are not the answer, practice with what you have, that is THE answer
    Last edited by Pal334; 05-03-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: missed a word
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Recognizing, of course, that the stereotypical "Gunsmoke" shootout is just not in reality's realm...
    I think the same thing each time I see someone recommending training that incorperates advancing on the target in the open, drills in the open, using interior walls for cover......

They never stress laying on the ground shooting at feet under a car or shooting from a seated position with a steering wheel inb your way.

And "clearing the house", I always get a chuckle out of reference to clearing ones house or intruders.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Don't forget shooting over your shoulder while running the other way. I practice that one a lot.

We have a good setup for the home and none of it involves clearing anything. I'll stay in my bedroom while they cart the stuff out the door. It's not that important. There is a .45 and .38 backing it up along with the 911 call either landline or cellular, whichever is required. But I am NOT creeping through the house looking for anything. That's what they pay LEO for.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with Daniel, Having been "around the horn", a tour in Vietnam and early Iraq...
    The only gunfight I ever won was against a young Vietnamese man who had his Lebel rifle slung over his shoulder. My rifle was in my hands. I especially remember his eyes as they went from surprise to determination to realization to resignation, and then to vacancy. Every now and then he still visits me in my sleep. I believe he will be with me to the end of my days.

... gadgets are not the answer, practice with what you have, that is THE answer
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I think the same thing each time I see someone recommending training that incorperates advancing on the target in the open, drills in the open, using interior walls for cover......

They never stress laying on the ground shooting at feet under a car or shooting from a seated position with a steering wheel inb your way.

And "clearing the house", I always get a chuckle out of reference to clearing ones house or intruders.
    There is a difference between cover and concealment, and you use which ever you have to the best advantage you can get. I don't know who "they" are, but I have found training from vehicles and around vehicles, under obstacles, around barricades and doors, laying on back and firing over your head so you see upside down, and countless other positions. I have also received "clearing" training in both single and team coordinations. The info and training is out there, just gotta dig for it and not go to local Jim Bobs back yard shootin gallery.

People didn't I did. You are not clearing rooms. You are defending yourself. That means you take a position and wait on them to come to you. Hopefully, you got the 911 call in. An AR sucks for home defense. Maybe if you live in the country it would be okay but those rounds will go through green board and sheetrock in my house and my neighbor's house.

Situation depends. For instance, it would be your duty and legally justified action to advance till you are closer to the intruder than any of your loved ones.

You can use the penetration for stick built homes to your advantage. The .223 loses energy rapidly and everything it hits, of course, reduces it further.

As in all shooting, try to hit what you aim at.

To the op, 2 mags should be sufficient, one can have a malfunction. Murphy never visits when everything is hunky-dory.

I have a flashlight on mine which is great. If you see a threat you are already pointing a rifle at it.

I am trained on an AR. I know the weapon backwards and forwards. It's as close a friend as any of you FOGs double barrels and lever actions.
    Last edited by Winter; 05-04-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Another consideration is kid safety. You have to do something to keep kids and grand kids safe when they are at the house. It's a lot easier to move handguns for me than long guns. Yeah, yeah, I know, ya'll have your kids and grand kids trained. Baloney. Accidents happen and kids are kids. What a horrible regret that would be to live with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As you know, gadgets are not the answer, practice with what you have, that is THE answer
    X2 for that. Guy with a bunch of tricked out "safe queens" don't worry me none. Now a Guy with an old sidearm, bluing worn thru, with permanent heat/powder discoloring at the muzzle. That there is the one ya got to keep an eye on.

Beware the dude that only own's 1 gun. Probaly knows how to shoot that thing pretty good.
    In the land of Wolves and Sheep, I'll be a Sheepdog. Protect your flock.

Another consideration is kid safety. You have to do something to keep kids and grand kids safe when they are at the house. It's a lot easier to move handguns for me than long guns. Yeah, yeah, I know, ya'll have your kids and grand kids trained. Baloney. Accidents happen and kids are kids. What a horrible regret that would be to live with.
    +1 on that Rick! Keeping guns away from little ones and yet having it readily available can be kinda tricky. I think it is paramount that the kiddos in your household understand them, but kids don't always have sound judgement 100% of the time.

Oh by the way the last 911 call that was made in my neighborhood took them 26 minutes to responde so I wouldn't count on that pill to save your can and I live in the city,go figure.I would rather rely on my weapons than the we'll show up when it's over crowd.
    Last edited by wholsomback; 05-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.

I can't say that we have that problem. We have a lot of LEO and they have a lot of visibility. They are usually on site in 2-3 minutes in force. I have no problem with any of our first responders. Medics and Fire are just down the street. Well, okay, when they hit that dang train horn at 2 a.m. when they zip past the house but other than that.....

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    +1 on that Rick! Keeping guns away from little ones and yet having it readily available can be kinda tricky. I think it is paramount that the kiddos in your household understand them, but kids don't always have sound judgement 100% of the time.
    If yu don't have young one around much....this can be a big deal.....heads up for sure

PS: natertot check this out.....http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hlight=buckeye
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    If yu don't have young one around much....this can be a big deal.....heads up for sure

PS: natertot check this out.....http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hlight=buckeye
    I do have little one's around all the time. I have a four year old daughter and a son that will be two a little later this summer. My duty pistol is the most prevalent one around and I make an effort to show it to them and explain it to them at their level. My daughter has even held it several times after I cleared it and she calls the muzzle the "owwie end". A little over a year ago, she had a pet snail die and I explained to her that if she points the "owwie end" at something, it could be like her snail. I can tell by her facial expressions that she understands it, but I wouldn't leave it in her reach because she doesn't understand how to operate it.

Thanks for the link......

You mean it is easier for you to carry a handgun down the hall than a rifle? I'd have to agree. It is also easier to carry a toothpick than a q-tip, but a rifle, handgun, toothpick, and q-tip all take one hand and the same amount of steps.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.