Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Surival Turns Deadly - It's Not a Game.

Some folks serve as a lesson of what not to do. It's unfortunate but true. Look how many have been killed while driving drunk.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Some folks serve as a lesson of what not to do. It's unfortunate but true. Look how many have been killed while driving drunk.
    Some folks don't learn lessons 'till it happens to them. And then ....
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Wow my first sticky! Thanks guys, I thought it was important.
    It is good example of the way things work or can happen in real life.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Great Thread !!

well here i go again
    this is not going to be a popular response
    i know gino and les and yes they are the real deal and give great advice, but 10 courses before going solo, and sarge with his thread with what 18 or 20 questions of what you must have before going in the bush, hogwash allot of responses and threads here make me ask the same question i have before, how many of you actually get out and spend many nights a year in the bush, i have said before i spend well over 90 nights out at least, have i taken formal training, yes but only recently, from allen most of what i have done has been solo treks into the wilds of the mountains, canyons, deserts, freezing cold and so on, most times i had only my simple pack in the truck when i would get hit with the desire to head out.
    obviously he made a mistake, and i'll go out and say definetly that it was hypothermia, this weekend sucked, windy and cool then no wind and warm i broke a sweat a few times. but i understand all your stances on being prepared, its actually my motto, but for crying out loud when someone says they are going camping they get hammered(yup theres that word again sarge) on what they are doing, i will say to most of you get off the computer spend some time in the out doors remember what its like to be in touch with nature.
    now this feller did allot of things right as justincase already outlined, this crap that people write about don't go in the bush unless you have wally world in your back pocket, is insane, same as when i go out for a walk in the bush and people say"but theres bears out there" yup there sure is and i've seen most of then hauling arse away from me, only one of them has confronted me so far, bear attacks are rare, i am and remain adament about posting about what you know and to also learn what you can, if you are going to post about bears or hypothermia you better have your ducks in a row cuz i will call BS when i see it.
    WE
    Last edited by wareagle69; 03-04-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Wow my first sticky!
    You mean on a forum, right?

Congrats, Hunter!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

C'mon, WE, I really value reading your posts, and you write some good stuff once in a while, but ya' GOTTA' HELP ME OUT HERE!

Can you PLEEEEEZE use capital letters and sentences and periods and skip a line between paragraphs so that my eyes and my head won't hurt so much after I finish reading your posts?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I understand what you're sayin' WE. Blaming Les for this, is kinda like blaming "The Fast and The Furious" movies for some kid wrapping his car around a tree, while driving too fast, and then saying that he didn't have any race training.

As a side note, most of the really good race car drivers that I know of, don't have any formal training.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I understand what you're sayin' WE. Blaming Les for this, is kinda like blaming "The Fast and The Furious" movies for some kid wrapping his car around a tree, while driving too fast, and then saying that he didn't have any race training.

As a side note, most of the really good race car drivers that I know of, don't have any formal training.
    .........or driver's licenses, either.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    C'mon, WE, I really value reading your posts, and you write some good stuff once in a while, but ya' GOTTA' HELP ME OUT HERE!

Can you PLEEEEEZE use capital letters and sentences and periods and skip a line between paragraphs so that my eyes and my head won't hurt so much after I finish reading your posts?
    nope there are two things i refuse to bow down to,the intro nazis and the proper grammer nazis
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    nope there are two things i refuse to bow down to,the intro nazis and the proper grammer nazis
    How about the common courtesy nazis?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    We tell every numpty this every time. Then we get flamed. Then they vow to never come to this forum again. A numpty won't read a sticky - they want instant gratification, and they want it their way. Any advice to the contrary means we're just a bunch of old F.A.R.T.S. that don't understand.
    Well, I am not an old fart and I understand.
    I prefer that WSF err on the side of caution every time but especially when giving advice to the younger folks.
    If there is any room for interpretation they'll interpret it as support for whatever foolhardy adventure they dreamed up.
    And no, they won't share any of that with their parents, you can bet on it. So we have some responsibility I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Well, I am not an old fart .......
    Sez who?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

WE - I think you missed something in the threads. It's not about go camping and it's not about having Wally World in your back pocket. It's about folks coming on here with no clue wanting to live in the wild for a year (their words, not mine). This thread sort of says what many of us have been harping on all along. People that are not properly prepared can die. It can certainly happen to any of us and will at some point but I have no intentions of tell someone to go and have a good time knowing they don't have the skill set to do it safely.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Sez who?
    The only one that counts.
    I, me and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    WE - I think you missed something in the threads. It's not about go camping and it's not about having Wally World in your back pocket. It's about folks coming on here with no clue wanting to live in the wild for a year (their words, not mine). This thread sort of says what many of us have been harping on all along. People that are not properly prepared can die. It can certainly happen to any of us and will at some point but I have no intentions of tell someone to go and have a good time knowing they don't have the skill set to do it safely.
    Rick, I agree with you to a point, but what I was thinking, and I'd guess that WE is thinking, is that it sometimes gets a little to far out there.....Kinda like the thread about people not being qualified to feed homeless people. The intention is to protect people from harm, but it can get pushed a little too far.
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 06-30-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

I, me and myself.
    Oh. An unbiased opinion. Gotcha'!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Rick, I agree with you to a point, but what I was thinking, and I'd guess that WE is thinking, is that it sometimes gets a little to far out there.....Kinda like the thread about people not being qualified to feed homeless people. The intention is to protect people from harm, but it can get pushed a little too far.
    I totally disagree at least from the standpoint of advice given to me.

Blog Entries

I, me and myself.
    That's three...........
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

The intention is to protect people from harm, but it can get pushed a little too far.
    I believe that how far it gets pushed depends on the responding poster's level of tolerance for stupidity on any given day.

Really, I think that by far most of the inquiries we get here are thoughtful and well-reasoned questions. However, I do NOT believe that there is no such thing as a stupid question - and quite often, it's probably an idiot that's posing that question just to get a rise out of us.

When a poster says "don't try to talk me out of it," alarm bells start to go off.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark